SBE II or SuperNova for dedicated turkey gun?

quickbiscuit

Guys, I'm going to buy a new turkey gun before next season. I will only turkey hunt with what I buy. My initial thought was to buy a SBE II with the 24" barrel and pistol grip stock, but in my experience, turkey hunting is a one-shot deal, so why shouldn't I go with the SuperNova with the same stock and barrel as the SBE II? I would buy the SBE II without hesitating if I thought a semi-auto had a real purpose in turkey hunting. Someone talk me into one or the other!

I wish I could say all my birds have been 'one-shot' deals, but they haven't :( Birds duck and weave, flinch, and just plain old move before the shot.

I do shoot a pump at turkeys now, but for only one reason, how that particular gun patterns with the shell and choke combo I prefer to use, in the locations I tend to frequent.

Of the two guns you list, I would take the SBE II over the SN any day of the week. I'd go with the 28" bbl for better patterns, and avoid the SG stock because it is not readily adjustable. Match up the SBE II with an Indian Creek choke and some H-13, and you should have a killing machine :)

Turkey hunting is mostly a one shot deal, not always! Both are fine guns. Both will kill turkeys equally well. If money is not an issue, I would go with the SBE ll. If it is in fact going to be a dedicated turkey gun, I would put a good red dot scope on it as well. This will allow you to zero any load and or choke that does not hit exactly where you point. I own both of these fine shotguns,and I use the SBE to turkey hunt with. The nova goes along, just in case... Good luck with your decision. Either way you will be a winner...

For a turkey gun only, I couldn't spend1500.+ dollars.

Supernova+camo+steadygrip+reddot+turkey choke+hunting tag(for 20 years)+camo gear+decoys+turkey vest+turkey calls+turkey blind+lunch for the weekend+gas+turkey mount+hunting knife+ammo= less than a SBEII.

Turkey hunting is 10%time in the field, 10% skill, 80% luck. Big expensive guns have nothing to do with it. My father-in-law as kill turkeys with a single shot 12 gauge 30 inch barrel w/ fixed full choke and no rib. Paid 115.00 bucks for it 10 years ago. He did spend 6 bucks on spray paint and made it look camo.

Not knocking it, just my flavor.

Edited by Novaking

I guess I've been lucky on the one-shot hunts. The only bird that I ever "missed" was gone before I had a chance to even think about shooting again. In the past I've turkey hunted with an 870 Wingmaster, but I want to retire it up because it was my dad's gun.

On the 24 vs. 28" barrel, hasn't it been pretty well established that a 24" will pattern just as well as a longer barrel with the modern loads and the right choke?

A red dot scope will definitely be going on this gun. Any recommendations? I see the $2700 SBE II super-duper turkey gun comes with a burris fastfire, but I really don't want to deal with all those rails and mounts. Does anything mount directly to the receiver?

Edited by quickbiscuit

Quote: Supernova+camo+steadygrip+reddot+turkey choke+hunting tag(for 20 years)+camo gear+decoys+turkey vest+turkey calls+turkey blind+lunch for the weekend+gas+turkey mount+hunting knife+ammo= less than a SBEII.

SBE ll=Priceless :D

Edited by hognutz

On the 24 vs. 28" barrel, hasn't it been pretty well established that a 24" will pattern just as well as a longer barrel with the modern loads and the right choke?

No. Just the opposite actually. After many years of folks being confused as to why some short barreled guns don't pattern well, it has been 'discovered' that longer barrels can pattern better. This may not apply to all guns though. It has been the case for the 25+ turkey guns I have tuned in the past 15+ years or so.

But, all will work just fine out to reasonable distances. My problem is that I occasionally decide that I have to take a shot that might test the limits of reasonable, so I want my guns to be up to the task :D

I guess I've been lucky on the one-shot hunts. The only bird that I ever "missed" was gone before I had a chance to even think about shooting again.

How is missing lucky :confused: :D

They say there are only two types of turkey hunters; those that have missed, and those that haven't missed....yet....

I guess I've been lucky on the one-shot hunts. The only bird that I ever "missed" was gone before I had a chance to even think about shooting again. In the past I've turkey hunted with an 870 Wingmaster, but I want to retire it up because it was my dad's gun.

A red dot scope will definitely be going on this gun. Any recommendations? I see the $2700 SBE II super-duper turkey gun comes with a burris fastfire, but I really don't want to deal with all those rails and mounts. Does anything mount directly to the receiver?

I put an Aimpoint red dot on my SBE and love it. The batteries last about 5 years. You will have to put a base on the gun for most red dots, but that is not a big deal. Four screws.. There is nothing like putting that dot on a gobblers head and touching one off!! That's good stuff... Enjoy!

I hear you about the one shot. If it is not going to be a one shot deal, I pass.

I highly recommend the SuperNova with a Carlson's .665 Turkey Choke (Go Non-Ported so you can use Federal FC Wad Ammo if you decide that is the ammo for you- I like options).

I mounted mine with a B-Square saddle mount and a TruGlo red dot sight and after I chose the ammo I was going to use I adjusted the dot to be in the center of my pattern at 40 yards (After day 3 I decided to remove the red dot sight just because I switched to my ground blind and knew I could hit the birds at the distance they were coming in without any extras). I ended up going with Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey 3.5" 2 oz. Loads which are about 17-18 dollars a box for 10 rounds (Much cheaper than most turkey loads). Nailed my bird this fall at 40 yards. I always test my ranges after I have zeroed the scope (If you decide to go that route) and I do the same without a scope so I always know where the pattern will hit the bird no matter the yardage.

Go with the SuperNova and you wont be let down. If this was a multi-purpose gun I would say the SBE II but for Turkeys the SuperNova is more than enough and its a Tank that you can drag through helllll and back without any worry, because hey its not a $1500 gun!

Good Luck, You will enjoy both guns no matter which you choose.

Happy Hunting!:D

I hear you about the one shot. If it is not going to be a one shot deal, I pass.

How do you know ahead of time that you might miss, thereby knowing to 'pass' on the shot :confused:

How do you know you won't wound a bird, even at a close range, and need a second shot?

I've missed a few over the years. Not many, but it has happened to me. Some at longer ranges, but some at very close range.

I just try to remember that I'm shooting at a walnut stuck on the end of a pencil :D

How do you know ahead of time that you might miss, thereby knowing to 'pass' on the shot

How do you know you won't wound a bird, even at a close range, and need a second shot?

I've missed a few over the years. Not many, but it has happened to me. Some at longer ranges, but some at very close range.

I just try to remember that I'm shooting at a walnut stuck on the end of a pencil

Maybe I am just a better shot than you...or maybe its because I know how my gun performs at the different ranges from extensive pattern tests. Lots of time shooting and time in the field has given me a good indicator of when not to take a shot as well as when to take a shot. I am no psychic, but if your going to play devil's advocate, call it intuition ;).

How do you know ahead of time that you might miss, thereby knowing to 'pass' on the shot :confused:

I would think it would be the same as double tapping a rabbit. Something I've done before. Sure you can miss. Like I said, everyone has there own flavor.

Maybe I am just a better shot than you...or maybe its because I know how my gun performs at the different ranges from extensive pattern tests. Lots of time shooting and time in the field has given me a good indicator of when not to take a shot as well as when to take a shot. I am no psychic, but if your going to play devil's advocate, call it intuition ;).

Or maybe you just haven't hunted turkeys enough :D

Or maybe you just haven't hunted turkeys enough :D

I Just know what I'm doing mudhen. You don't have to be in your 40s to have lots of experience...Do you have Turkeys on your land where you live in California or do you travel to hunt? Do you get to study their movements daily year round like I do?

We have giant flocks (Multiple flocks of 50+ birds in some cases) on our Personal 600+ acre lot of land up here in Maine. The new law allows us to get 3 Toms a year. You may be a mudhen but I'm a hunter who manages Turkeys and many other Species on a large plot of land. Do you manage land? Or do you just try to trash on those who harvest animals based on flock/herd/pack for proper balance of species in relations to food, habitat, game ratios, and numbers?

I think your a little out of your element Donny!

If you plan on missing chances are your going to miss, do you do the same thing when shooting at a paper target? You need to know how to hunt properly, then you will know when to take a shot and when to let an animal walk.

You will get it one day....It's not as much about bad shots as it is about making the right shots count.

I Just know what I'm doing mudhen. You don't have to be in your 40s to have lots of experience...Do you have Turkeys on your land where you live in California or do you travel to hunt? Do you get to study their movements daily year round like I do?

We have giant flocks (Multiple flocks of 50+ birds in some cases) on our Personal 600+ acre lot of land up here in Maine. The new law allows us to get 3 Toms a year. You may be a mudhen but I'm a hunter who manages Turkeys and many other Species on a large plot of land. Do you manage land? Or do you just try to trash on those who harvest animals based on flock/herd/pack for proper balance of species in relations to food, habitat, game ratios, and numbers?

I think your a little out of your element Donny!

If you plan on missing chances are your going to miss, do you do the same thing when shooting at a paper target? You need to know how to hunt properly, then you will know when to take a shot and when to let an animal walk.

You will get it one day....It's not as much about bad shots as it is about making the right shots count.

Yes, to almost all of the above. I assist several land owners and help manage turkeys on close to 20,000 acres. I do hunt them in 15+ states. Flocks of 50 here are normal, 100+ is on the large side here, but we do get them. Several properties I hunt out of state will have winter flocks of 300+ and I am in regular contact with some of these landowners and outfitters.

I also chase them on the millions of acres of public land open to turkey hunting here in California, although private land tends to offer a better opportunity. While the NWTF estimates CA's flock to be 250,000, many here believe it is at least twice that. Maine is impressive with 60,000 for sure, probably had few to none not that long ago.

Better than that almost, is that I hunt with and communicate with hunters that take in the area of 50+ toms each season in up to 40+ states (way out of my league). It's this communication and interaction that helps me grow each year and become a better turkey hunter. I don't have all the anwsers like you think you do, and I hope I don't, I like learning something new each year :)

Btw, where do I 'trash' anyone?

But, none of this is relevant in any way to the issue at hand, which is being prepared for every possible shooting opportunity that might present itself in the field.

I plan for misses because they happen for a variety of reasons. I know a guy that had his pattern change because of how much he would tighten the mag cap! He learned to mark the mag cap so it would reassemble the same each time. Same for chokes. I've bought 3-4 of the same choke, only to find they don't pattern the same in the same gun. I do spend about $1000 each year testing new guns, chokes, shells, etc. so I guess I'm not a newbie, unless you say so!

A miss is a very real possibility that can present itself in every shooting opportunity, and should be addressed by any competent and ethical hunter that is out to kill any animal in a humane manner. Having a back-up shot available, and knowing how to use it, is just another sound tool that should be in every hunter's tool bag.

I can only hope to 'get it' one day!

Thank goodness turkey hunting is so easy :D

Yes, to almost all of the above. I assist several land owners and help manage turkeys on close to 20,000 acres. I do hunt them in 15+ states. Flocks of 50 here are normal, 100+ is on the large side here, but we do get them. Several properties I hunt out of state will have winter flocks of 300+ and I am in regular contact with some of these landowners and outfitters.

I also chase them on the millions of acres of public land open to turkey hunting here in California, although private land tends to offer a better opportunity. While the NWTF estimates CA's flock to be 250,000, many here believe it is at least twice that. Maine is impressive with 60,000 for sure, probably had few to none not that long ago.

Better than that almost, is that I hunt with and communicate with hunters that take in the area of 50+ toms each season in up to 40+ states (way out of my league). It's this communication and interaction that helps me grow each year and become a better turkey hunter. I don't have all the anwsers like you think you do, and I hope I don't, I like learning something new each year :)

Btw, where do I 'trash' anyone?

But, none of this is relevant in any way to the issue at hand, which is being prepared for every possible shooting opportunity that might present itself in the field.

I plan for misses because they happen for a variety of reasons. I know a guy that had his pattern change because of how much he would tighten the mag cap! He learned to mark the mag cap so it would reassemble the same each time. Same for chokes. I've bought 3-4 of the same choke, only to find they don't pattern the same in the same gun. I do spend about $1000 each year testing new guns, chokes, shells, etc. so I guess I'm not a newbie, unless you say so!

A miss is a very real possibility that can present itself in every shooting opportunity, and should be addressed by any competent and ethical hunter that is out to kill any animal in a humane manner. Having a back-up shot available, and knowing how to use it, is just another sound tool that should be in every hunter's tool bag.

I can only hope to 'get it' one day!

Thank goodness turkey hunting is so easy

Agreed lets move on and get back to topic. :)

i wish i had 1500 dollars to hunt with.. id say screw hunting and go pay on my vehicle.. why the **** would anyone need that much money on a damn hunt! ohh and whoever was asking this question...SUPERNOVA! sure its not as fancy as the SBE II and it is a pump.. but its safer.. and ill put my supernova up against any other gun and i will feel real comfortable with my chances haha. i love that gun.. but they all do the same thing. they kill.. ive already spoke my peace on the subject of tactical weapons and i dont want to get into it with anyone about hunting weapons like i did with the tactys. go with the supernova..

You also claim to spend $1500+ on one hunt..? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard...$1500 for a Turkey hunt...? That is not hunting that is foolishness.

Good thing it's not your call then :)

I've got a buddy with 700 Model 94's, that's what I would call foolish, if I judged folks, which I don't.

Do you live in a wooden shack up there? $1500 adds up fast with airfare, car rentals, tags, leases, room & board, etc. Weeklong hunt for up to four toms, I'm fine with that. I probably spent more than that!

But again, thank goodness it's none of your business :D

I hunted turkeys last year in NE with two guys that were lamenting how much they had to cut back in 2009, to only $250,000 for their hunting budget. I felt sorry for them, it's tough to have to cut back on the sport you love....