SBE II or SuperNova for dedicated turkey gun?

quickbiscuit

Good thing it's not your call then :)

I've got a buddy with 700 Model 94's, that's what I would call foolish, if I judged folks, which I don't.

Do you live in a wooden shack up there? $1500 adds up fast with airfare, car rentals, tags, leases, room & board, etc. Weeklong hunt for up to four toms, I'm fine with that. I probably spent more than that!

But again, thank goodness it's none of your business :D

I hunted turkeys last year in NE with two guys that were lamenting how much they had to cut back in 2009, to only $250,000 for their hunting budget. I felt sorry for them, it's tough to have to cut back on the sport you love....

You can always tell those guys in NE that if they want premium hunting land that is highly managed with millions of yards of premium gravel our land is on the market for slightly over 10 million. That would allow the two of them to hunt year round and make a few million if they chose to sell the gravel. All legal papers and property details are available for serious inquires only!

You can always tell those guys in NE that if they want premium hunting land that is highly managed with millions of yards of premium gravel our land is on the market for slightly over 10 million. That would allow the two of them to hunt year round and make a few million if they chose to sell the gravel. All legal papers and property details are available for serious inquires only!

That's a lot of gravel! We've got some gravel on our farms in NoDak near the river, but there is not much demand right now....

yeah tyson.. good thing its none of your buisness.. good thing its none of your buisness that this guy has more money than he does since. I think ill just hang out in Va and hope to get 1-2 cheap turkeys. Those high dollar turkeys are a bit outta my price range.

Guess i havent had as much time as you, mudhen, to work and save up the money. im only 19 afterall. but i guess when i get old ill have all the free time and money i can handle too.

as for the topic... go with the supernova or maybe both if you like throwing away money too.. but both are great guns and you should be happy with either one. you could kill a turkey with either

good thing turkey hunting is so easy!

Guys, I'm going to buy a new turkey gun before next season. I will only turkey hunt with what I buy. My initial thought was to buy a SBE II with the 24" barrel and pistol grip stock, but in my experience, turkey hunting is a one-shot deal, so why shouldn't I go with the SuperNova with the same stock and barrel as the SBE II? I would buy the SBE II without hesitating if I thought a semi-auto had a real purpose in turkey hunting. Someone talk me into one or the other!

Just get a camo Remington 887 Nitro Mag, and cut your own path!:D

Just get a camo Remington 887 Nitro Mag, and cut your own path!:D

I like that gun for some reason. Folks that own them seem to love them or hate them. Buddy shot one all day Sunday, he likes it, doesn't love it, but hunts in the salt, so he sees no other real option :)

It actually was like a bucket of ice water thrown in there to take some of the friction out of the thread.:D The 887 is a cool gun, though.

This seems to happen every time someone asks a question like this. They usually have their mind up on the subject before posting anyway.:cool:

Best of luck to you, the Supernova is a fun rig to shoot.

Well, this thread sure went to the toilet. Thanks to all those who gave constructive input. I've got an SBE II that I use for duck hunting, so I may just go with the SuperNova for turkeys.

And really, why would I buy a Remington when I could have a Benelli?

You already had the SBE II...? Next time you should mention that..This Thread got really heated and you come back, crap on those who were involved who were also the people who gave you constructive criticism with pros and cons, and you had the SBE II the whole time!!

I agree with you why go with the 887 when you can go with a Benelli, but seriously that gun rocks. My brother has one and I have put a few hundred rounds through it and it is a sweet gun! My only complaint was that there is no cheek pad and I shot a 3.5" steel shot goose load through it and cheeked my shot like I do when I shoot and it felt like someone punched me in the face.

Glad that you are going to get or go with the SuperNova...at this point I don't know if you already own it or not..?

Either way good luck with it.

Happy Hunting!

Man, you guys are so sensitive. :p The SBE II is my duck gun. Using it for turkey hunting wasn't in the cards.

I only stated that in my experience a pump would have been more than adequate for turkey hunting. My first turkeys were killed with an old single-shot NE Pardner with 3" magnums. Ouch!

Obviously, I was already thinking the SuperNova was the better idea. I wanted someone to give me input one way or the other and talk me into another SBE II (set up for turkeys) if they thought it was worth it over the pump. I would happily buy another semi-auto if someone could convince me that it was the best choice for turkey hunting. I made that clear in my original post.

Anyway, thanks.

Man, you guys are so sensitive. :p The SBE II is my duck gun. Using it for turkey hunting wasn't in the cards.

I only stated that in my experience a pump would have been more than adequate for turkey hunting. My first turkeys were killed with an old single-shot NE Pardner with 3" magnums. Ouch!

Obviously, I was already thinking the SuperNova was the better idea. I wanted someone to give me input one way or the other and talk me into another SBE II (set up for turkeys) if they thought it was worth it over the pump. I would happily buy another semi-auto if someone could convince me that it was the best choice for turkey hunting. I made that clear in my original post.

Anyway, thanks.

I guess I misunderstood your original post. If money is not the issue and you want the best of the best, I would definitely go with this:

http://www.benelliusa.com/performance_shop/benelli_performance_shop_super_black_eagle_II_turkey_gun.php

You can't go wrong, it is the top of the line Turkey Gun with everything you could ever want in a Turkey Gun and much more! If I was in your shoes I would have contacted my closest dealers already to get my hands on one of these bad boys, just watch out because you will be holding onto one of the hottest guns out there and people will take note. Be the man and get this AWESOME SBE II Performance Shop Turkey Gun! :D

Save the money and forget the SBE II performance model and just get the SBE II You can make that shoot as good as the performance model for a lot less. You would be paying 1200 more for nothing really. If money is not a option just by you another SBE II and pimp it out yourself and save a lot of cash for other things that you mjught need during a turkey season.

Save the money and forget the SBE II performance model and just get the SBE II You can make that shoot as good as the performance model for a lot less. You would be paying 1200 more for nothing really. If money is not a option just by you another SBE II and pimp it out yourself and save a lot of cash for other things that you mjught need during a turkey season.

I totally agree.

He already had the SBE and he probably has the SuperNova, what did you expect for a recommendation...come on. Didn't sound like there was any interest in doing custom work himself and was looking for the best Turkey Gun....Maybe not the best Turkey Gun, but I would take it in a heartbeat.:cool:

• 1 month later...

its probably been a year or more since my last visit to this forum and it's nice to see everyone is still good friends!

i don't know "mudhen" personally but he has always given a lot of good sound advice on this forum and I agree with him when it comes to a "second" shot. Misses or injuries can happen no matter how good you THINK you are and even at a so called stationary target like a wild turkey! I have killed Turkey's with a TC Encore, a SBEII, a SuperNova, an old Browning A5, a Winchester Model 37 16 gauge, Browning Gold 10ga, Hunter Arms 16 ga SxS, Beretta O/U...you name it and I'm sure my friends call me foolish because I own about 10 different Turkey rigs. Personally, I don't think you can own too many shotguns whether they are "Turkey" guns or plain old field guns!

this threaded started with a basic question SBE II or SuperNova and after readying it entirely it seems maybe the person starting the thread needs an excuse to buy a SuperNove! ;) I say buy what ever you want and make it a Turkey rig! I actually turned one of my SBE Slug guns into an SBE 1.5 Turkey Rig...I purchased a SBEII barrel complete with choke tubes, purchased a Benelli Steady Grip stock and mounted a Nikon Monarch "turkey reticle" scope on it. My buddies call it "Frankenstein" because it has 3 different camo patterns and a matte black scope! I call it an SBE 1.5 because it has parts from both Benelli's...a Hybrid if you will....She is UGLY but smokes turkeys with a Kick's GT and my own nickle plated loads.

That's my 2 cents!

Jeff

• 4 months later...

I have a SuperNova AGP 26" and use it for turkey this past season and it worked great. I would agree with most everyone else in the fact that Turkey is normally a one shot game but not always. I would recommend the SuperNova to anyone looking for a great pump gun.

The only thing I would recommend is buy the Turkey gun with the SteadyGrip stock right away. I purchased the SuperNova with the standard ComforTech stock and now am having one **** of a time finding someone with the SteadyGrip stock in a APG finish.

- Steve -