Deer ticks - How do you keep them off or you???

ArtL

I'm wondering how the rest of you keep the deer ticks off of you. I have had them get on me and I don't like it very much. A couple of friends have lime disease, and one is still having problems after a few years. I have tried sprays with DEET, but nothing seems to work.

The only way to completely prevent them from getting on you is to stay indoors when the weather is such that they are active.

Not always practical.

I don't bother trying to prevent them.

But when I think I've come into contact with them I immediately isolate my clothing and wash it, and I take a hot shower and carefully check for ticks on my body.

Premethrin works.

I have a lab who contracted Lymes disease about 3 years ago, almost lost him so its not just you to worry about so keep an eye on your best friend too.

Front Line or equiv products help, flee and tick spray, and if your pet really got into them a good shower of flea and tick shampoo will take care of the rest.

Deer ticks carry Lymes, and its bad news if you get it.

There is a permethrin spray labeled for use on clothing called "Permanone" that works well as a tick control product.

TMAC is "right on" about Merial Frontline for dogs.

Thanks.... I just ordered some and now I will wait. Got 4 ticks on me again today, and don't like that. I was on antibiotics for lime a few years ago.

Thanks.... I just ordered some and now I will wait. Got 4 ticks on me again today, and don't like that. I was on antibiotics for lime a few years ago.

That is really bad to hear ArtL, They are moving up from you to us here in Maine really fast. 10 years ago we never worried about ticks here in Central Maine, but now they are everywhere!

I will have to pick some Tick Killer up as well, let me know how that stuff works on these Northern Ticks!

Thanks in Advance!

That is really bad to hear ArtL, They are moving up from you to us here in Maine really fast. 10 years ago we never worried about ticks here in Central Maine, but now they are everywhere!

I will have to pick some Tick Killer up as well, let me know how that stuff works on these Northern Ticks!

Thanks in Advance!

I have been luck so far as they were just walking around on me and not attached. I have been on antibiotics for the problem and really don't want lime disease. I have some friends that do and it has really been bad for one. He is in suck tough shape that he had to retire. He got the disease before they really understood what was going one, and he wasn't treated. If I have any doubt I get to the doctor immediately.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Permethrin was originally extracted from chrysthanthemum flowers in the 1940's by Imperial Chemicals (the agricultural product division was merged into Syngenta about 1995) but now is synthesized. It is a safe and effective insecticide.

Here's something that is pretty cool. Gash a cherry or pear tree and it will exude a sticky, viscous gum over the period of two weeks. The tree produces this exudate to prevent insects from laying eggs and boring into the gash (insect pheromone repellent).

Take a knife and remove the exudate. And then apply it to the ends of your pants, shirt and collar (it will not harm clothing). I've never gotten ticks in my life. It sometimes really works well with blackflies, too, depending upon the weather. Just don't put it directly on your skin. Under the right conditions, you'll get a reaction that is really itchy.

Edited by 410_bore

• 3 weeks later...

There's also some sheep dip products that are used in a cleansing bath located on commercial sheep ranches. The sheep are immersed in a bath containing pyrethroids (synthetic permethrins) or diazinon (a very high LD50 organophosphate insecticide that we used to use quite often in our turf care against grubs). These products kill the lice and other chewing/sucking insects on the sheep and in it's fleece.

I've experimented with washing my hunting clothes in this bath but there doesn't seem to be much repellency toward deer ticks. Probably kills them on contact in the liquid state, though.

I would put some links to some interesting papers but since I'm a junior member here, I've got to post 10 items before I'm allowed to include links.

Okay, this will be amusing...back in 83' when I first joined the military we were gettin tore up by chiggers and ticks during field exercises in Florida.

Spending several days in a foxhole dug armpit deep exposed us to lots of creepy crawlies. So, we would wear pantyhose to keep em from gettin at our legs. They were hot as **** to wear but they worked pretty well...at least for your lower torso.

No...I didn't try a halter top and bra for my chest and upper torso! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been using Permanone with Permethrin for almost a decade now with excellent results. And when the mosquitoes get extra bad, I will spray 100% DEET on top of that. A long-time friend & a co-worker both caught Lyme Disease, West Nile, and Spinal Meningitis all at the same time. I don't want any.

Edited by leid

I use Repel permanone spray for clothing and gear. This is an insectiside you spray on the clothing and let dry. Do not spray on your skin! Use on hat,coat,gloves, face mask, pants, and boots.

Also do an web search for tick gators, which are a camo elastic that covvers the joint between your boots and pant cuffs. I have gone in the woods in May and when I've sat down I was covered by biting bugs. After 10 mins or so there is no bugs anywhere. This stuff will last a washing or two so you don't have to use it each time you go in the woods. The active ingredent is Permethin 0.5% I know ticks I live in CT.

Dennis

You are all right about Permanone, I have been using it for about 15 yrs. Wal Mart has carried it for years. Just remember when you spray it on your clothes, be sure to do it outside and try not to inhale any of the vapors. Hang your clothes up and let them dry. No chiggars, ticks, or any biting varmint will get on you. Just be careful when spraying your clothes down with it.