Deer ticks - How do you keep them off or you???

ArtL

I'm surprised that DEET doesn't work for you guys. It is a well proven repellent for ticks and mosquitos and is recommended by the CDC. It seems to work for me as long as I use a product with at least 30% DEET. And I think it is less of a health risk to humans and pets than permethrin.

Guest cleefurd

3 friends of mine contracted lyme's while we were stationed in Quantico.

Always check your hide within 24 hours, and you will be safe. After that, undectected ticks will begin to regurgitate into the bite site, which is when the spirochette is contracted.

One thing I did is consume a cup of red wine every evening. Might not work for others, but I NEVER got a tick after that, and prior to that I had from a couple, to dozens each day since we layed in on the firing line up to 40 hours a week during a tour on the Marine Corps Rifle Team as a full-time marksmanship competitor.

The clothing treatment seems like a very good measure also.

3 friends of mine contracted lyme's while we were stationed in Quantico.

Always check your hide within 24 hours, and you will be safe. After that, undectected ticks will begin to regurgitate into the bite site, which is when the spirochette is contracted.

One thing I did is consume a cup of red wine every evening. Might not work for others, but I NEVER got a tick after that, and prior to that I had from a couple, to dozens each day since we layed in on the firing line up to 40 hours a week during a tour on the Marine Corps Rifle Team as a full-time marksmanship competitor.

The clothing treatment seems like a very good measure also.

I just returned from a week of turkey hunting and long range rifle practice. Ran out of the original Permanone with Permethrin, WalMart was sold out of the newer REPEL/Permanone with Permethrin, so had to resort to using REPEL with 40% DEET on freshly washed camos. The 40% DEET did not appear to work nearly as well as Permanone with Permethin as I just pulled yet another tick out of my hide. Check real close every night then check again as cleefurd is spot-on with his 24 hour window. And I drank a little Merlot every night with dinner: no luck here unfortunately. But Lyme is not wide-spread down here in the south.

Permethrin was originally extracted from chrysthanthemum flowers in the 1940's by Imperial Chemicals (the agricultural product division was merged into Syngenta about 1995) but now is synthesized. It is a safe and effective insecticide.

Here's something that is pretty cool. Gash a cherry or pear tree and it will exude a sticky, viscous gum over the period of two weeks. The tree produces this exudate to prevent insects from laying eggs and boring into the gash (insect pheromone repellent).

Take a knife and remove the exudate. And then apply it to the ends of your pants, shirt and collar (it will not harm clothing). I've never gotten ticks in my life. It sometimes really works well with blackflies, too, depending upon the weather. Just don't put it directly on your skin. Under the right conditions, you'll get a reaction that is really itchy.

will have to try this one.....

Edited by fikester