is the FAB Quad Rail the only one still available for the M4?

taylaboy

I was just wondering if anyone else has found an alternative hand guard? and if anyone knew if they made the Quad in a Tan finish? Just looking to keep upgrading this bad boy. Great Weapon. Thx.

The Fab is probably the worst choice of what's out there. There are fit issues if you have the 11707. People usually need to take a dremel to them to make them fit.

KZ, Sidearmor, Surefire and Brugger & Thomet offer rail systems. The KZ and B&T are the closest to the design of the FAB (but much better quality)

Later,

Hookster :)

I am a fan of both, but I think for what I want to do, the surefire would look better because it would still leave the Barrel exposed up to the receiver up top. The only reason I am thinking about snatching up some new hand guards is for the bottom rail which will give me the option of snapping on a collapsable forward pistol grip, when I am out of California of course :)

Thanks man!

I am a fan of both, but I think for what I want to do, the surefire would look better because it would still leave the Barrel exposed up to the receiver up top. The only reason I am thinking about snatching up some new hand guards is for the bottom rail which will give me the option of snapping on a collapsable forward pistol grip, when I am out of California of course :)

Thanks man!

The Surefire should be fine then for what you want to do.

Take Care,

Hookster,

The surefire got here today and I slapped it on; it looks and feels great. I dont think I can post photos because I am not a Senior Member, but thanks again for showing me your set up. I plan on putting a red dot on this summer, since I just finally located a Scout Squad and am in the process of "Improving" that a little bit. Thanks again.

For some reason when I go to "attach file" another page comes up that says I have uploaded the 1 max file, but I cannot find any other options from there, I am stuck. oh well.

Hey, concerning your Socom: Congrats, thats an awesome weapon. Here is a website I found that is similar to this one, but a bit more Elaborate. Its all M14 discussions on old and new platforms, plus good sponosors with some pretty sick upgrades available should you ever want to tweek yours up. Enjoy your Rifle.

http://m14tfl.com

Yeah that's an excellent site! I've got some posts on there including a Benelli M4 thread in the "Shotgun Ridge" section. I don't post there that much but I've learned quite a bit reading the posts. Here's the current state of my socom. Although, I've changed the Aimpoint mount to an A.R.M.S. 22M68.

SOCOM16006.jpg

Later,

Edited by Hookster

For some reason when I go to "attach file" another page comes up that says I have uploaded the 1 max file, but I cannot find any other options from there, I am stuck. oh well.

Don't hit attach file just click on the 5th icon from the right above the reply box (yellow square that looks like it has a little black mountain at the bottom) that will bring up a widow and you simply paste the URL address of the photo in.

(you need to have the photo uploaded on a sharing site like Photo Bucket)

Later,

Edited by Hookster

Thats a great set up. Are you in California like me? I notice the 10rd clip. I am still in my waiting period and pick it up the day after Thanksgiving. So far I have gotten a few additional upgrades for it:

Extended Bolt Release (Smith Enterprise)

New non Corrosive Gas Plug (Smith)

Shim Set (Smith)

TiN Coated Gas Piston (Sadlak)

New Upgraded Spring Guide (Sadlak)

Extened Mag Release Pad (Sadlak)

Plus the Scott Huff M14 Owners Manual, Cleaning Gear, Tools, Case, New CMI Mags, etc.

This may be a little bit overkill before I even get it, but I want to hit the ground running the day after I get it. When I am done getting refamiliar with the Iron Sights, I plan on looking into the Trigger housing upgrade at Smith Enterprise, and selecting a Scope. Scopes are new to me, so I want to do some extensive homework first.

When I get this bad boy set up, I will post some photos for amusement. Looks like we have similar tastes in firearms sir!

I'll be looking forward to the pics!!

Yeah, I'm here in CA. I live in the Monterey Bay area. I'm still undecided about how I want to set up my Socom. I like the A.R.M.S 22M68 mount for the Aimpoint but it is taller than the Aimpoint low ring in the pic so I may get the Ultimak handguard to help lower the sight for a better cheek weld.

http://www.ultimak.com/M8.htm

Right now it's more like a chin weld which I think I'm getting used to, so maybe I don't really need to do anything.

Another option would be a cheek riser. I've been looking at the Desert Warrior Products one. The crew over at M14TFL seem to like them.

http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com/M1A-M14CheekRest.html

I may change things up in terms of the optics too. Someone posted a pic at TFL of an A.R.M.S. 18 mount with an Aimpoint T-1 and it looked like a sweet set-up.

I did just get a set of Sadlak cleaning tools. The gas cylinder wrench and cleaning drill set

http://www.sadlak.com/si_tools.html

and a bunch of mags from SA. I was going to the range today but it turned out to be a windy/rainy day so I'll go tomorrow when it should be nicer. The good part is my AR H2 heavy carbine buffer that I bought to go with my new LMT CQB MRP piston upper arrived today so I can take it to the range to test fire tomorrow

http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=189&cid=11&session=1b8702ffefaaf6eef7244ff67adf6393

I just ordered a SOPMOD stock from LMT last night also to go with it.

Thankfully my ARs were registered as "assault weapons" before the cut-off in 2000 so I don't need to mess with all the bullet buttons etc.

Take Care,

Edited by Hookster

I certainly appreciate your style Hookster. You obviously have a solid plan.

I got a cheekpad from Smith just to put something on there that I can even put on my M4. Last time I went to the range I cracked the Sh*T out of my teeth, so it was a no brainer. The Raised Cheekpad looks great. I have an idea I will be needing one later down the road, I just need to snap in with this sucker first.

Hey, I found this really cool tool for the M14, not sure if you heard if it before. It seems to be the ultimate tool for this weapon, and awesome in the field. Fits in the Stock and everything. http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/

I got the same tools from Sadlak, everything comes in early next week :)

Yeah, I'd seen the Battle Arms Development Armorer tool on their TFL ad. I watched the little demo movie and everything. It's a little pricey but very cool! So, did you get the cheekpiece with the velcro straps? Does it feel pretty solid/no slip once it's on? I was wondering how much they actully raise the comb of the stock. I've also been looking at some lace on ones like this:

http://usarmorment.com/classic-laceon-rifle-cheek-rest-p-1030.html?currency=USD

Later,

Edited by Hookster

I agree, its way too pricey for me at the moment. I was excited about buying it because I stumbled on the videos online first, then went to the site and saw the price tag. I will put it on the backburner for awhile. Maybe they will lower it.

I havent gotten the Cheekpad or Rifle yet. But I will give you a full report on its quality once I snap in with it next week. I never used one in the Marine Corps and thought I would branch out and try something different. I like the one you just linked though.....if I had a choice I would probably go with that one over the Desertwarrior one unless you need a really high stock. I am no expert though :)

Hookster,

Just wanted to follow up on my promise concerning the Velcro Pad from Smith Enterprises. I know this will be annoying without pictures, so just take my word for it, but I think the one above that is tied in would be much better than the Padded Velcro one I got for the Scout. Doesnt seem to stay as tightly on as some of the other choices.

I am going to keep this pad on my M4 and look around for a better pad for the Scout....probably the one you listed above. Take it easy.

Hookster,

Just wanted to follow up on my promise concerning the Velcro Pad from Smith Enterprises. I know this will be annoying without pictures, so just take my word for it, but I think the one above that is tied in would be much better than the Padded Velcro one I got for the Scout. Doesnt seem to stay as tightly on as some of the other choices.

I am going to keep this pad on my M4 and look around for a better pad for the Scout....probably the one you listed above. Take it easy.

Thanks for the heads-up on that one Taylaboy. I had a bit of hesitation about that one. It didn't look like it actually would do that much as far as serving as a riser to the comb of the stock. It looks more like just a pad and from what you're saying, an ill-fitting pad at that. If you do try the lace-on, let me know what you think and if I get one first I'll do the same. I'll probably be hitting a gun show this weekend so that'll be one of the things I have my eye out for.

Thanks Again,