Benelli misfires

georgemasn

Sometimes, when I fire my SBE, I hear a noise that sounds like a credit card is being pulled over the teeth of a plastic comb. When this happens the firning pin doesn't strike the primer hard enough to mark it. I shoot Fiocchi high-velocity 12 gauge Golden Pheasant loads in 2 3/4 inch, and Winchester Supreme 3" turkey loads. It could be that I'm not holding the butt tight against my shoulder while shooting, or it may be that my shotgun doesn't like cold winter weather. I've never fired it in warm weather. Any advice?

I had a gunsmith take it apart, clean it with ethyr, then spray it with G-96. Still misfiring. I was told that Benelli's can't shoot consistentely in cold weather. Benelli said they'll take it in for a look. I'm going to send it in. I didn't want to waste the time, though, if it was caused by my not holding the butt tight against my shoulder. After 150 shots, you get kind of sore, and I may be subconsciously not holding the gun tight, therefore causing the bolt not to lock, thereby causing the firing pin to malfunction. I was hoping someone else had the problem and could lead me in the right direction.

Benelli's work fine in the cold - I've hunted with mine in well below zero cold and never had any probs with any of them. Never heard that from any of the guys who own them up here in the great white north either. I have never had problems in the warm weather either as long as you are shooting the rec. load specs. The noise does'nt sound normal or good. I agree with Tucker - take apart your bolt assembly - it's easy and check that every thing's is greased and put together correctly. Better yet, send it in to Benelli if a gunsmith already looked at it.

About not planting it well in the shoulder ... I noted this issue when I let the son of my hunting partner try shooting the gun. He's 11 and I let him fire it from the hip with me helping to hold it. With a 2 3/4 1 1/4oz load it would not cycle yet when I fired the same load from the shoulder cycled every time. As for the cold , if I ever had a problem it was because the grease had stiffened or I foolishly let ice get into the action.

• 1 month later...