Tight Bolt

mcqjohn

I've had my R1 300 WSM for a week. I did a detail cleaning today and discovered the bolt to be "tight" after reassembly. It loosened up after a few pulls. I re-read the manual and don't find anything I did wrong.

Is this "normal" after reassembly, or is there something I should do about it?

Thanks in advance.

John

John, when you say that the bolt is tight, do you mean that it is rough to move at all, or it move fine until the last little bit??? It should slide smoothly through the range of travel. My bolt will get sticky right before the bolt fully closes if I don't clean the gas piston, as the bolt closes that last bit to lock into battery it pushes the gas piston tight into the barrel. I would remove the barrel and clean the piston and rings and try that. Check out the GAS PISTON thread.

Good Luck

Steve

The only thing I can think of is the lugs are dry and since the rifle is new its just a little tight as the bolt and lugs rotate to unlock from battery. I don't think it is an issue, mine is a little tight, and I sometimes have to give it just a little jerk to get it started. If you question it's safety have it checked by a gunsmith.

Steve