M4 sight knocked loose?

Domonlord

Took my M4 out to the skeet range yesterday. Normally I can do very well... but yesterday I was only hitting about 5% of the clay pidgeons. Yes... 5%. I was frustrated with myself... until I looked at my rear sight and saw that it moved all the way to the left. I used a shotgun shell's rim to turn the screw to realign the rear sight back towards the center, but wasn't able to shoot again as I had run out of ammo.

Umm... has this happend to anyone else? I have no idea how the rear sight moved on me. I did transport it to the range in the back of a SUV with no case, but it was held in place by some other bags/cases so it wasn't banging around.

Took my M4 out to the skeet range yesterday. Normally I can do very well... but yesterday I was only hitting about 5% of the clay pidgeons. Yes... 5%. I was frustrated with myself... until I looked at my rear sight and saw that it moved all the way to the left. I used a shotgun shell's rim to turn the screw to realign the rear sight back towards the center, but wasn't able to shoot again as I had run out of ammo.

Umm... has this happend to anyone else? I have no idea how the rear sight moved on me. I did transport it to the range in the back of a SUV with no case, but it was held in place by some other bags/cases so it wasn't banging around.

Sounds strange, :confused: You might want to disassemble the rear sight and check out the condition of the parts. Is it possible that one of your jealous non- Benelli owning friends with a screwdriver is messing with you?

Keep us posted,

Hookster :)

I looked at my rear sight and saw that it moved all the way to the left. I used a shotgun shell's rim to turn the screw to realign the rear sight back towards the center

Without knowing the guys at the range I'm going to echo the disgruntled skeet shooter angle. You probably came in and kicked their butt with a non-retirement community gun ($4k wood O/U) and someone thought they would humble you.

Especially since the sight was all the way one way and you could realign the sight with relative ease. I would have a hard time thinking you could do that if one of the internals was that badly damaged.

Without knowing the guys at the range I'm going to echo the disgruntled skeet shooter angle. You probably came in and kicked their butt with a non-retirement community gun ($4k wood O/U) and someone thought they would humble you.

Especially since the sight was all the way one way and you could realign the sight with relative ease. I would have a hard time thinking you could do that if one of the internals was that badly damaged.

The screw would have to turn. The detent is pretty darn stiff. I suspect some peckerwood FUDD was tampering as long as there are no mechanical problems with your sight.

Hmm, I'll have to ask them. I never thought about that...

On another note... when I noticed the sight adjusted all the way to the left, I found I could slide the rear sight towards the right with just finger pressure, and when I let go... it would snap back to the far left. Does anyone else's sight do this?

(I have since adjusted it back to the center, but have not seen if it's moveable and I don't have it with me to check right now)

Hmm, I'll have to ask them. I never thought about that...

On another note... when I noticed the sight adjusted all the way to the left, I found I could slide the rear sight towards the right with just finger pressure, and when I let go... it would snap back to the far left. Does anyone else's sight do this?

(I have since adjusted it back to the center, but have not seen if it's moveable and I don't have it with me to check right now)

Hi Domonlord,

I just tried it on mine and yes.... If I run the rear sight all the way to the left to the point that it's past the detent click positions and just beginning to unscrew the adjustment screw, I can pull the sight to the right and it snaps back left. I figured it would once you're past the adjustment point but wanted to make sure for you. I haven't really messed with it since I installed my Meprolight sights. As long as your feeling the detent clicks as you turn the adjustment screw I think your sight is fine and someone is messing with you.

Jealousy can be an ugly thing ;)

Later,

Hi Domonlord,

I just tried it on mine and yes.... If I run the rear sight all the way to the left to the point that it's past the detent click positions and just beginning to unscrew the adjustment screw, I can pull the sight to the right and it snaps back left. I figured it would once you're past the adjustment point but wanted to make sure for you. I haven't really messed with it since I installed my Meprolight sights. As long as your feeling the detent clicks as you turn the adjustment screw I think your sight is fine and someone is messing with you.

Jealousy can be an ugly thing ;)

Later,

Took me FOREVER (few hours) to find a 5.5mm wrench for mine.

I know "boys will be boys" and all that, but it takes a pretty ignorant fool to feel that it's OK to mess with another man's gun... assuming that's what occurred here.

At one of the ranges I shoot at, it would be grounds for expulsion.

C

+1

Dog, vehicle, gun

Where I live, those are grounds for unspecified and unspeakable retribution if you mess with them.

I'd throw in motorcycle and wife... if you happen to have them.

Come to think of it, someone may have loosened the screw on my wife a few weeks ago. ;)

Meh, imho wives are expected to screw around. THen again, what do I know. I am still 23. All I have are other people to go by, Have not tried the marriage thing myself.

*A motorcycle is a vehicle.