New Supernova problem or normal?

lunchbox

I just bought a new supernova and noticed that when i load shells from the bottom into the magazine tube the lever thing clicks and stays in the upward position. When i chamber a shell it comes back down though. Is this normal?

Im just wondering cause if I only had 1 shell left in the chamber and wanted to load a few more shells through the bottom the lever will end up staying up. Would that be normal?

Im sorry if some of it is hard to understand, this is my very first gun ever and just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

I just bought a new supernova and noticed that when i load shells from the bottom into the magazine tube the lever thing clicks and stays in the upward position. When i chamber a shell it comes back down though. Is this normal?

Im just wondering cause if I only had 1 shell left in the chamber and wanted to load a few more shells through the bottom the lever will end up staying up. Would that be normal?

Im sorry if some of it is hard to understand, this is my very first gun ever and just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

Actually you may have a minor problem on your hands, if you notice that the lever remains up after loading and you go to chamber a round, if the shell elevator is still in the up position you will put a round on the floor. A temp fix is to half pump it with hard force before loading the shell, this will cause the shell elevator to come back down, allowing for normal function.

I am about to do a full demo on fixing this issue for SuperNova owners as it appears to be a common problem.

Hopefully this is not the problem you are having but from your post that is what it sounds like.

If this is the case you need to get the spare parts list for the SuperNova, get familiarized with your Trigger Assembly, and order 2-3 parts(019N, 221N, 021N) for replacement.

If this is the issue this is what is happening in the Trigger Assembly:

221N should stay on the shoulder of 019N but when the door moves upward 221N slips by 019N causing a clicking sound, losing the ability to return the door to it's down (Correct) position.

I hope you don't have this problem, field test it and get back to us.

Good Luck! :D

Im a proud new owner of my first Benelli (Supernova). For the most part I couldnt be happier with the gun. First time out shooting clays only clay dust hit the ground, first duck hunts this year yielded similar results. The only hang up I've come across is when using 3.5 rounds (getting ready for canadas), and it seems to be primarily associated with Blackcloud ammo. When I load 3.5 rounds, 1 chambered 2 in the mag (waterfowl plug in tube) and cycle them through, the last round in mag is stopped by a small prong near the loader plate. If I give the round a slight push forward, that prong retracts and the round cycles into the chamber like normal. I know Im not using all the right terms for parts here but if anyone knows whats going on I'd appreciate the advice. thanks

Stay safe out there

Brandon

Edited by NM_Firefighter_EMT
typo

Okay so I tried it out without any shells in it.

I pumped it once as if chambering a shell then i pushed the elevator up so that it clicked and stayed in the up position(which i guess is normal) like if i were to load shells into the magazine tube. So after that i turned the safety off and pulled the trigger. Then i gave it a full pump and the elevator popped back down. It ends up popping back down after pumping about a 1/2inch.

So i'm guessing everything is ok right?

Okay so I tried it out without any shells in it.

I pumped it once as if chambering a shell then i pushed the elevator up so that it clicked and stayed in the up position(which i guess is normal) like if i were to load shells into the magazine tube. So after that i turned the safety off and pulled the trigger. Then i gave it a full pump and the elevator popped back down. It ends up popping back down after pumping about a 1/2inch.

So i'm guessing everything is ok right?

That is what I thought the problem was. Call up customer service or actually bring it back to the gun store where you bought it.

From your first quote when you said the shell elevator stayed up and there was a clicking I was 99% positive that the issue I explained was what was going on. You need those 3 parts.

You have 3 Options:

1. See if CS will send them to you if you are comfortable with the trigger assembly (And doing the work yourself).

2. Send it to CS to be fixed (Like 8 week wait:mad:)

3. What I recommend is to bring it back to the dealer and get a brand new one.

The shell elevator should never remain up. You should not have to manipulate your gun for it to work properly, they sold you a lemon. It has been a common problem on here.

Good Luck Bro. Let us know how it works out.

Tyson

Im a proud new owner of my first Benelli (Supernova). For the most part I couldnt be happier with the gun. First time out shooting clays only clay dust hit the ground, first duck hunts this year yielded similar results. The only hang up I've come across is when using 3.5 rounds (getting ready for canadas), and it seems to be primarily associated with Blackcloud ammo. When I load 3.5 rounds, 1 chambered 2 in the mag (waterfowl plug in tube) and cycle them through, the last round in mag is stopped by a small prong near the loader plate. If I give the round a slight push forward, that prong retracts and the round cycles into the chamber like normal. I know Im not using all the right terms for parts here but if anyone knows whats going on I'd appreciate the advice. thanks

Stay safe out there

Brandon

Does it have any problems shooting that third round? I am having a hard time understanding your problem.

I understand that it gets hung up on a "prong" but than it seems to load in properly with a "push" which makes the prong retract.

You say this happens with the Black Cloud ammo? Do the 3.5" Black Clouds have a high brass head? If so that may be causing the problem. First I would try a different ammo and second if that does not work I would have a gunsmith or knowledgeable person look at it. May just need some good cleaning, a little lube, and you may be good to go.

Good Luck! Happy Hunting!:D

I went out to shoot it a few times today and everything seemed fine besides for the elevator thing staying up when loading. No shells were ejecting out the bottom. But even though the elevator clicks it shouldnt cause any malfunctions or damage in the long run right?

But i'll still bring it in to the dealer to get it checked out. Will it cost me anything extra if they have to order me another one?

I went out to shoot it a few times today and everything seemed fine besides for the elevator thing staying up when loading. No shells were ejecting out the bottom. But even though the elevator clicks it shouldnt cause any malfunctions or damage in the long run right?

But i'll still bring it in to the dealer to get it checked out. Will it cost me anything extra if they have to order me another one?

It shouldn't cost you anything if they sold you a broken gun. I don't understand how a shell can load into the chamber with the shell elevator in the upward position. It needs to be down so that when you pump your shotgun the elevator will raise your next round into the chamber. If you are not having any of these issues you should be fine, but You should make them fix it or give you a new gun that does not have that problem. You will be much happier in the long run, because chances are the issue will get worse.

Good Luck!

If recoil lowers an elevator that is stuck in the "up" position, would that not remedy the problem? If recoil lowers the elevator before the forearm is even moved, the elevator would be in the proper place to receive the next shell.

Correct, but where there was a clicking I thought I should mention what may be going on. If it all works correctly than it is fine.

Good Luck to the SuperNova Owner!

Cheers

I know that I am a little late to this thread, but this was something that concerned me too when I first got my first SuperNova... having been used to the Rem. 870, where the elevator is basically just always springing down, I thought it was weird that when I put the first shell into the mag, the elevator stayed open, and then came down after I pumped it. I now understand that this is perfectly normal, some mossbergs do the same thing... and you may find out, in a tactical situation, and with an extended magazine, when you need to reload a lot of shells fast, this makes it a million times better, then fighting the elevator spring every shell you put in.

I'm such a fan of the SN, that I use one bird hunting, and I have a tactical one for my duty shotgun!!!

Edited by team_brock

I know that I am a little late to this thread, but this was something that concerned me too when I first got my first SuperNova... having been used to the Rem. 870, where the elevator is basically just always springing down, I thought it was weird that when I put the first shell into the mag, the elevator stayed open, and then came down after I pumped it. I now understand that this is perfectly normal, some mossbergs do the same thing... and you may find out, in a tactical situation, and with an extended magazine, when you need to reload a lot of shells fast, this makes it a million times better, then fighting the elevator spring every shell you put in.

I'm such a fan of the SN, that I use one bird hunting, and I have a tactical one for my duty shotgun!!!

This is true as long as the function of the gun is normal. But where there was a clicking It raised a question of abnormal mechanical performance. As long as the shell elevator drops on draw back of the pump which ejects the spent shell then there is no problem. The clicking could mean that the shell elevator has locked into position which would cause the next round to not be carried into the chamber (Thus dumping it onto the ground or floor). This problem has happened to a few people who posted this same problem on this Forum in the past few months, and a problem that I had when I first got my SuperNova, which I fixed.

Only trying to help.

Tyson