cleaning

duckhunt

my dad wipes his guns down with wd-40 and i was wondering if this its ok to wipe my supernova with max 4 camo down with it also. or if i even need to wipe the barrel down. im just worried cause i dont want the camo to come off cause in some spots it looks kinda messed up and i even take extra good care of it too. if anyone can tell me how they wipe down their gun i'd appreciate it. thanks

WD-40 is great for bicycle chains.

It has no business being anywhere near firearms. of any kind.

Use a damp cloth on camo dipped finishes.

Use Benelli oil, CLP or similar gun oils on internal and moving parts.

You can also now buy cleaners designed for camo dipped finishes.

Midwayusa.com is a great source for such products.

You will not find WD-40 in their list of available items.

Do your dad a HUGE favor and replace his WD-40 with a bottle of Hoppes Elite.

[ 06-22-2006, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

well my dad use to shoot trap like crazy and he even won the texas state shoot a long time ago and he has a remington 870 wingmaster that he shoots for trap that he has had since he started and he uses wd-40 on it everytime he gets done shooting it and i swear that gun looks brand new and the blued barrel and reciever are perfect and my dad use to sell guns and he is probably the most knowledgeable person i know when it comes to guns. he uses wd-40 and i have seen it work.

i dont spray it on the inside of the gun only on the blued areas of guns. i have never seen wd-40 cause a problem and my dad has used it since before i was born and seeing his guns and the great condition they are in lets me know that wd-40 isnt bad for your guns.

The WD stands for Water Displacing. The stuff was used way back in the beginnings of the space program as a rust/corrosion preventer. It is a solvent, not a lubricant, and as such should not be used on bicycle chains or any other mechanism requiring lubrication, including firearm internals, unless said mechanism is lubed with a suitable grease/oil after cleaning with the WD-40. There is probably no harm in using it as a cleaning solvent, provided proper lubrication occurs afterwards, but why would you when there are cleaners specifically made for cleaning firearms and probably work better? I use a cleaner which claims to be camo safe. Keep the WD-40 off the camo.

By the way, when I was a kid, I used some WD-40 to clean my pump-up pellet gun. When I went to pump it up afterwards, the darn stuff combusted in the chamber like a diesel engine, and snapped the pump handle back in the opposite direction. So don't clean your pump-up air guns with the stuff either.

..Only synthetics should be used for Pneumatics{sp?}...petroleum products distilates under presure then exposed to atmospere/oxygen..is a potential bomb....I still play around with the AirForce Stealths in 17 thru 50 cal air rifles that work off 4500psi...tanks in the stock....& ONLY syn lubes (No blends ) are used for lubes on those babies..

It doesn't sound like duckhunt is talking abt lubing his SG's with WD-40, it sounds to me like he's only asking if it's safe (for the camo) to wipe the outside down.

With that said, I'd think WD-40 for camo'ed guns might be too strong of a penetrant and could make the finish peel or prematurely wear.

If I'm wrong duckhunt and you're asking abt lubing the internals...I'd follow the advise you got here. WD-40 is not a lubricant.

Just my 2 cents, Rob

tucker, i know your giving your opinion and yes i did ask for it. you just said it has no place around firearms and i was just telling you that from what i have seen growing up it does keep blued areas on a gun from rusting. i do appreciate all of you guys opinions though. im sure that wd-40 probably isnt as good now days as the specialized cleaners. i just wanted to let you know on a blued barrel gun i know the stuff works. but now im gonna get some actual gun cleaner haha. its time to stop living back in my dads day by what he tells me.

I used WD-40 on the blued surfaces of my guns back in the 70's and 80's, and yes, it seemed to do OK.

Today's synthetics are far superior for protection and lubrication.

That's why I said that WD-40 has no business being anywhere near firearms.

There are far better choices out there.

rjk, yes your exactly right i know better than to lube my gun up internally with the stuff. ive just always been told to prevent rust on the barrel and reciever to spray a light coat of wd-40 and wipe it down so that the finger prints and anything else get wiped off to prevent rusting. i just bought 2 camo guns and that is why i wanted to ask you guys is cause i didnt really know what to use and i didnt want to use wd-40 if it had potential in stripping the camo. from now on ill get some camo cleaner stuff or something to use.

tucker yes your probably right. ive just always done what my dad said to do and he doesnt ever get with technology. he still wants to live back in the day where remington 870 was the best thing out there. yes 870 are still a dang good gun and i own one but he doesnt even give any other guns a chance. i bring home my benelli supernova and my beretta xtrema and my dad sees the camo and he is like what the **** is that. then tells me to get a real gun and i just smile and walk away. pisses me off.

In many respects, your dad is right.

When the Benellis have been performing flawlessly for nearly 60 years, then they may have some claims to the 870 throne.

As far as the camo goes, I think it's more to appease the humans than it is to effectively hide from the animals.

I deer and turkey hunted with an 870 for years, and I took bucks and gobblers that were mere steps away from me, but had never seen me or my glossy gun.

Your dad sounds pretty cool to me.

It's his job to challenge you, and it sounds like he has done a great job raising you thus far.

1. You obviously respect him and value his opinions.

2. You're a gun owner.

3. Other than the fact that you seem to have no knowledge of where the Shift key is, your communication and social skills are very good. :D

[ 06-23-2006, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

thanks tucker. and you are right about the camo. ive hunted with my dad every since i was walking the fields for pheasant carrying a bb gun. (my dad let me carry the bb gun to let me feel like i was a tough hunter). i have hunted deer mainly since i was 10 when i shot my first white-tail buck which was a little 6 pointer. the last deer i shot being a nice 10 point buck that is hanging in my shop has nice height, is outside his ears, and has just almost a perfect shape on both sides. everytime i have ever gone hunting i have never worn camo or anything. i have worn jeans and just basically some everyday clothing. and i have sat in my dads truck (which is red) and i promise you i have seen deer and turkeys that i could reach out the window and touch them. so i know the camo isnt really needed. honestly i just bought the supernova in camo because the max 4 camo looks cool haha. i already had a remington 870 magnum wingmaster so i thought i would get a cool looking camoed out gun. ya my dad is pretty cool and just hearing the stories of him when he was my age shooting trap from the 27 yard line in all these competitions is awesome to hear. my dad is pretty knowledgeable. this year i got bit by the waterfowl bug and all of a sudden i want to duck hunt so bad. the only birds i have ever shot have been dove. my dad stopped duck hunting when they made the switch to steel shot so he hasnt ever taken me. but this year im going to try some duck and goose hunting. as for the shift key, ya so i may be a little lazy when it comes to the computer but i promise when it comes to my college classes i wont forget the shift key or the proper puncuation. by the way im going to college to become a game warden. its my dream job and i have a lot to learn but i cant wait for college to be over so i can teach others the proper hunting laws and put away the hunters that dont respect the animals.