new vinci owner!

JackTheRipper

Agreed. I put an Easy Hit SG 3 mm RED-5" Sight on my 20 ga SuperSport. I am also not overly crazy about the sticky tape instillation, but it has held up fine half way through the pheasant season. The sight helps me make sure that I put the gun up correctly when a pheasant flushes. I find myself using the site to readjust my gun position while firing. If I miss the first shot it is usually due to my gun not being put up correctly. Either the stock catches on my vest on the way up to my shoulder or I have my gun up my a** while the boys are working a bird. Tom Knapp uses this sight and he shoots OK.

Shooting high is the European way and Benelli is a European gun. This method of sighting is a tremendous advantage shooting trap, skeet, or birds. Sighting high helps you hit a rising bird. You can actually see your target when you pull the trigger. I learned shotgunning using a Browning A5 and the "high" sighting of a Benelli is a great improvement. If think Benelli shoots high, try a high end trap gun.

Edited by BlackDogs3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was putting my front sight right on target. I learned i needed to basically blot out my front pin with the mid pin to shoot dead on. i have the stock shim in my gun as im not too sure how it will feel if i swap it out. I love the way it fits me now, and im scared my shots will be off if i swapped to a diff shim.

Yenrec, I'm glad your technique is working for you! I'll have to agree with hognutz though. On a fast-flushing bird such as a Quail, this just wont work for me. If I'm shooting high taking my time looking at a sitting target at the range, your technique would seem difficult in the field.

I'm beginning to wonder if my Vinci just doesn't fit me right. I'm not a big guy, 5' 11'' 170 lbs. My next step is to see if I can have a machinist make a thicker shim, however I looked closely at the gun and I don't see much room in there for a thicker shim, I guess we'll see.

Blackdog3, in regards to your comments about desiring a high-shooting gun, I don't disagree with you at all, it seems it would be better, however since all my guns have shot exactly where I point them it's taking time for me to adjust. After 30 years of shooting with a gun that shoots exactly where I point it, it's hard to relearn to be honest.

LOL, another frustrating thing is, I use to shoot a pump shotgun before the Vinci and now I can't even go back to shoot that gun anymore because I forget to pump-it for the second shot - it really makes your blood boil in the field, let me tell you!! I'm stuck with this Vinci, LOL.

yes it is definately much harder to get myself to aim it correctly, working on it with the clays. I just started hunting this yr and ive really only shot for about a year so its not going to take to long to better myself. In one of my outdoor subscriptions i read an article where it says to take your time, make sure you are sighting right then shoot at the bird. It said you will have a much better ratio if you take your time and aim right rather then do it sloppy. Im working on it and it seems to be working out fine, but im not gonna lie it is hard to break!

My new Vinci only holds 2 shells (2-3/4) in the magazine. The specs say it should be 3 plus 1 in the chamber. Any suggestions or experience similar to this? It is really close to hold 3 but just short. Is there an adjustment to make 3 work?

You definitely have the plug (limiter) still in the magazine tube. Read the manual, it will show you how to remove it. Be careful to hold the end cap when you do this because the tension on the spring will cause the spring, cap, and the plug to go flying out. No big deal, pick up the parts and reinstall, minus the plug. By the way, just the insert in the mag, cap comes out. I made the mistake of holding the whole cap and the spring got by me. If not sure, do it inside the house so you are not looking for parts in the grass. Good luck. Mike

hey, I'm going to pattern da Vinci tomorrow...

I'll let ya know my results...

I have a friend who works in Benelli's repair dept, she's gonna send me a new bead out tomorrow...

Jack, I would love to hear about your pattern tests, let us all know.

I didn't get to the range today, probably wed or thurs. I'll let ya know tho...

NP, very curious as to how your tests go. Make sure you shoot right at the target, don't float it, this is what I'm curious about, want to know how high your gun is shooting and what shim you have in the gun.

I saw a machinist today in regards to making a new shim. I have a few options on how I can go about it, I'll let everyone know where I take this, it's going to take some trial and error though, but it seems like it will be more of a permanent solution :)

I don't know if some of you shoot multiple guns but if one shoots high, and the other shoots dead-nuts, how do you calculate all that in the field? It seems to me anyway that you would want all your hunting guns to shoot the same. You know...if I had all day to shoot my gun I bet I could shot any gun no matter how it was shooting, but I don't have all day, trying to focus on having a fun hunt - that's what I enjoy the most!

Edited by AJ_SD

I patterned yesterday a little bit, I was happy with the pattern

I used the Improved Cylinder choke from Benelli and used 3" black cloud #2s...

however,

I'm a noob to shotguns so I honestly don't know what's a good pattern and what's not...

it looked consistent and the spread was enough to please me... a duck woulda been dead ;-)

how many pellets can a shell, like a 3" black cloud hold?

anyone know?

thanks!

**** no :-(

been 2 times:

first time, saw a lot of ducks, and heard a **** of a lot of them before the sun rose. However, my cousin got trigger happy and shot way too early = no ducks

secondly, went to a different area where you think there would be tons of ducks, didn't see 1 damn duck... just weren't in the right spot, we did however hear tons of shotgun blasts from afar... :-(

going for the 3rd time tomorrow, wish me luck...!

I patterned yesterday a little bit, I was happy with the pattern

I used the Improved Cylinder choke from Benelli and used 3" black cloud #2s...

however,

I'm a noob to shotguns so I honestly don't know what's a good pattern and what's not...

it looked consistent and the spread was enough to please me... a duck woulda been dead ;-)

how many pellets can a shell, like a 3" black cloud hold?

anyone know?

thanks!

Hey, forgot to ask, how far away was your target? 20 yards, 25 yards?

it pretty much hit exactly where I aimed...

can't complain...

the target was about 30 yards maybe...

Yeah this is all starting to make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong as far as aiming the gun. I had my friend shoot it and it was like a copy and paste of what my shot looked like - too high! Are you using both beads when you aim, what are you doing with the mid-bead? Maybe I'm not doing something right... talk to me.

upland i had to put my mid bead in the center of the red front sight for my gun to shoot slugs straight. when i got myself to aim it like that for skeet it was dead on. give that a try and see how it works out

Hmmm, ok I will try that, that makes sense. My previous gun didn't have a mid-bead and to be honest I don't really use it on the Vinci. I'm not sure how I would do all that when I need to get a real quick shot off at a quail for instance. I will try it and let you know boss, thanks for the advice.

How are you doing with your gun, are you killing birds?

yes sir, its a killing machine if i keep my posture right. i was always really good a instinctive shooting my old remington, but decided now that i have a top of the line gun i should learn how to shoot it right, so as long as i take my time, make sure i line up the beads right i have no troubles. An article i read said take your time setting up and aiming right, and you will have a much better kill ratio. You will have a much better chance taking your time, then rushing and not aiming right or pulling the shot.

yes sir, its a killing machine if i keep my posture right. i was always really good a instinctive shooting my old remington, but decided now that i have a top of the line gun i should learn how to shoot it right, so as long as i take my time, make sure i line up the beads right i have no troubles. An article i read said take your time setting up and aiming right, and you will have a much better kill ratio. You will have a much better chance taking your time, then rushing and not aiming right or pulling the shot.

Good stuff! Personally I believe when your shotgun shooting is instinctive, sort of like an extension of your arm, it's best!

I'm happy to tell you that I figured this Vinci out, I added more shim to the existing shim and now it shoots exactly where I point the SOB.

I took it Dove hunting on Friday and it's feeling really good. I now have a 50/50 pattern. After 3+ months of messing with this damn thing I'm finally happy, I was seriously going to send this gun back, but now I think I got it dialed-in.

For shooters that are accustomed to "floating the target" the Vinci might be ok, but it's still my personal opinion that a field gun should shoot dead-nuts on - and NOT like a trap gun! I didn't see any trap shooting in the Vinci promo ads, did you? Other than the POI issue, I love the gun in every way, it's a very solid piece of engineering in my opinion.

By the way, your comment in regards to taking your time and setting up for the shot, I couldn't agree more. Nothing in general ever comes out right, even in life when you rush things! LOL. I think the more you shoot, the more relaxed you become. Before I went to shoot the Dove, I hung the pattern test of my Vinci up in my office, just to remind me how the gun is shooting straight and how I have this wonderful pattern. Guess what - it worked in the field!

Edited by AJ_SD