new vinci owner!

JackTheRipper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upland-SD and Hognutz I've read your posts with great interest. I too seem to be hitting high with my Vinci. I've noticed it on the game I've been hunting and my buddy watched my patterns striking high on a couple running rabbits the other day. I shoot quite a bit in the off season and my other guns are pretty well fitted to me, so I'm pretty sure I'm going through what you guys have with the Vinci. (love the gun BTW)

I did go to the lowest shim, but havent shot it since. I'm also going to try he Easy Hit based on your comments, and I've always wanted to mess with one anyway. WTH- a high tech shotgun seems like the place for a high tech sight, right? :)

Any comments on the green vs. orange Easy Hit?

I went with the orange, 5'' Easy hit. One quick bit of advice. Put the Easy Hit on the rib, and then tape it there with some black electrical tape. Then shoot the gun. If it works for you, then glue it on as directed. the sight won't be wrecked if you don't like it. With the thickest shim and the addition of the Easy Hit, your POI will be lowered. Make sure that you buy the 3mm sight, not the 2.5mm. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Also,I believe that you can edit the Warrior thing...Mike

Thanks!

I noticed on the EasyHit website they also make a 3.5 mm version, but I have not seen that one for sale anywhere. 3.5 mm might be getting pretty massive.

I'll definitely tape it on and try it before I use the supplied adhesive tape.

That lowest shim for the Vinci is about as low as I can go without sinking too far below the plane of the rib. I think it will all work out OK. Thanks again.

Upland-SD and Hognutz I've read your posts with great interest. I too seem to be hitting high with my Vinci. I've noticed it on the game I've been hunting and my buddy watched my patterns striking high on a couple running rabbits the other day. I shoot quite a bit in the off season and my other guns are pretty well fitted to me, so I'm pretty sure I'm going through what you guys have with the Vinci. (love the gun BTW)

I did go to the lowest shim, but havent shot it since. I'm also going to try he Easy Hit based on your comments, and I've always wanted to mess with one anyway. WTH- a high tech shotgun seems like the place for a high tech sight, right? :)

Any comments on the green vs. orange Easy Hit?

Road Warrior, you've come the right place my friend! Between myself and hognutz, you might lick this problem. At one point I almost tossed the Vinci into one of these irrigation canals in El Centro, and I'm not kidding with ya!

What you need to do is go the range and shoot your Vinci at a pattern board or a relatively large paper target at 21 yards with the

modified choke. If you want to email me the results I bet I can help you out, I've been messing with this POI problem for three months, I've already been there.

Just so you know, the Vinci is designed to shoot high so according to Benelli there's nothing wrong with the gun, but that doesn't mean the gun will work for you unless you fix this problem. When you shoot your target, point right at the bulleye, don't float the target above the bead (unless that's what you are accustomed to) All of my previous guns shoot exactly where I point them, not sure what you're accustomed to.

The shim you want in there is the "CDX", this is the thickest one and will lower your POI the most. If the shim and the easyhit don't do enough for you, let us know, you still have 2-3 more options that I know about.

By the way... for me the best patterning shotgun shells are the Fiocchi. The Winchester Super X Game Loads were ok, stay away from the Remington Dove and Quail field loads, they don't pattern consistently. Always shoot the same shotgun shell for your POI tests. Later you can do your own testing of shells, right now you're looking for consistency.

Hope to hear more, lets us know!

Upland-SD, last night I put the CDX shim in place and I noticed it lowered the comb nicely without going too low. Between the Vinci patterning a little high, and myself probably "peeking" a little I hope the Easy Hit helps me to keep my head down and lower the POI. I'm shooting some fairly stout ammo at the late season roosters, and I know i tend to lift my head a little with these heavy loads.

My other guns are all pretty flat shooters, and I have been known to take a rasp to pricey SxS's that were stocked too high, so gun modifications are no big deal to me. A gun is a tool, and they have to be dialed in to be worth carrying.

So...I'm going to try the 5" (3 mm) red Easy Hit and see how I like it. I know that's 2 variables at once, but I read about these a few years ago and wanted to try one at some point anyway. I doubt if I'll put Easy Hits on my fine SxS's, but the Vinci's looks seem to upset some people, so this should really make them mutter! Then i'll kick their butts shooting while I'm at it! :p

Upland-SD, last night I put the CDX shim in place and I noticed it lowered the comb nicely without going too low. Between the Vinci patterning a little high, and myself probably "peeking" a little I hope the Easy Hit helps me to keep my head down and lower the POI. I'm shooting some fairly stout ammo at the late season roosters, and I know i tend to lift my head a little with these heavy loads.

My other guns are all pretty flat shooters, and I have been known to take a rasp to pricey SxS's that were stocked too high, so gun modifications are no big deal to me. A gun is a tool, and they have to be dialed in to be worth carrying.

So...I'm going to try the 5" (3 mm) red Easy Hit and see how I like it. I know that's 2 variables at once, but I read about these a few years ago and wanted to try one at some point anyway. I doubt if I'll put Easy Hits on my fine SxS's, but the Vinci's looks seem to upset some people, so this should really make them mutter! Then i'll kick their butts shooting while I'm at it! :p

Make sure you get to a target or patterning board, it's going to save you a lot of possible frustration time with the gun!

I know what you mean about peeking over the sights or barrel to watch that bird fall, we've all done it and missed the shot! Remember though, and I think hognutz will agree, this Vinci needs to shoot as instinctual as possible, any special aiming or lining up of beads to get it to shoot straight is going to be really hard to do when a quail launches like a missile.

Last Friday I had my first instinctual shot with the Vinci! This dove popped-up out of this overgrown farmers field, I got him at 25 yards but I never used the sights, I just swung the barrel over there and shot and he dropped. After that happened, I finally felt like I can work this this gun, especially since I have it shooting dead-nuts now!

Oh, forgot to mention... I like the looks of the gun to be honest with you, I think it's very forward thinking and the engineering of it is very impressive. You know we all like the guns with the beautiful wood that look like expensive home furniture, but it just sounds like your friends are traditionalists that's all. Plenty of guns out there that have nice wood stocks, etc, that's no challenge. Personally I don't even like camo guns, but I would buy one if the hunt required it!

Edited by AJ_SD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After dumping $1400 on a gem of a scatter gun like the Vinci, why not get a spead bead and be done with it?

I put one on a Stoeger P350 because shells aren't cheap, I'm only 5'8" and the gun is a bit big (LOP wise anyhow) and, I got sick of cripples and misses.

I'm debating how I should go about knocking 3/4 of an inch off this thing so I can be a bit more at ease with it. If I didn't love my Model 11 Rem so much I'd still be draggin it out into the duck marsh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
After dumping $1400 on a gem of a scatter gun like the Vinci, why not get a spead bead and be done with it?

I put one on a Stoeger P350 because shells aren't cheap, I'm only 5'8" and the gun is a bit big (LOP wise anyhow) and, I got sick of cripples and misses.

I'm debating how I should go about knocking 3/4 of an inch off this thing so I can be a bit more at ease with it. If I didn't love my Model 11 Rem so much I'd still be draggin it out into the duck marsh.

Just an FYI on your LOP. I'm 5'8" also and prefer a 13-3/4"LOP. I purchased the 13.5" RH-LOP gel pad for the SBEII and put in the C shim and it fits me perfect. The gel pad was expensive though. I bought minefrom Brownells for $116 and then discovered my local Benelli dealer had them for $95.

Edited by hattles

I have an Aimpoint on mine. It works great, and the batteries last for years, not days. A lot of the guys are using the Burris set-ups. They are Speed Beads and Fast Fire's, I think. I see a fair amount of Bushnell's and Tru Glo's also.I don't know the particulars of any of these except the Aimpoint. Do your homework, and good luck with your decision..Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Finally took my Vinci out and shot three boxes of STS 1 1/8 oz @ 1300 fps. I just hammered the clays and everything seems to be "dead nuts" and dialed in. I have the lowest shim in place and I did put on the 3mm Easyhit sight.

These loads do rock you a bit even in the Vinci, but I want to break in the gun with stouter loads like the manual suggested. However, I do want to shoot lighter loads for future clay shooting.

Quick question: Will the Vinci cycle 1 oz @ 1200 fps reliably?