R1 trigger

jamesw245

There is no mass-produced replacement trigger for the R1.

There are a couple of options:

1. Install the trigger assist device that has been discussed here previously. I personally don't like the concept at all, but I've never actually tried on either.
  2. Take the trigger assembly to a skilled gunsmith and see if he will polish the mating surfaces and possibly stone away some of the metal. It's a time-consuming and tricky procedure, but a skilled craftsman can make all the difference in the world. I do my own work, but I won't do trigger jobs for others, because of liability issues.

I had a pretty good trigger on my R1 but wasn't happy with the pull. I took it to a very good 'smith and he worked some magic and brought it down from over 5lbs to just about 3, where I like it, and smooth as a baby's butt. Cost? Well under $200.

I did this because he also did a couple of other triggers for me.

I will show you a dozen guns at $5,000+ that have triggers "out-of-the-box" that are not - or were not - as good as was my R1's trigger out-of-the-box. On the other hand, the current Savage triggers are rated as super by most and a lot of their guns don't cost $1,000. So for me, the "for a $1,000 gun" argument doesn't hold water.

Uncle Russ

You are absolutely right Uncle Russ! I think people have gotten the idea that you need to buy aftermarket parts to make something better, like the AR crowd. I see you can easily outspend your trigger job with replacement parts for the AR trigger assy. But I am guilty as the rest since I regularly search the internet for ANYTHING that might work on my R1...LOL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I passed it around to 6 other hunters at camp they loved the look several said I want one now. I let each one shoot it and they all commented that the trigger would have to be fixed before $1,500.00 came out of their pockets. I used the gun this past week and the nut at end of forend keeps coming loose where the sling hooks. What next guys really either a lemon or poor design I just don't get it.