nova feeding problems

scott5028

I bought a new Benelli Nova last Christmas for my son. It's fired about 3 boxes over the last year. This has almost exclusively been single round shooting at clay targets with shells loaded through the ejection port. So, we really haven't exercised the feeding mechanism.

We're going Pheasant hunting next weekend and I was checking him out to make sure he could operate the gun when we discovered what appears to be a problem with me or the gun.

When I insert one or two shells in the bottom, they hold in the tube just fine. But, when I go to chamber the first round, the first shell springs out the bottom of the magazine.

I can override this behavior by depressing the button on the bottom of the forend as I pump it the first time. But, this is awkward and doesn't seem like the intended operation. It's way more complex than the Model 12 Winchesters I've used for 40+ years.

Has anybody else had this problem or issue with the Nova? Or, what procedure do you follow to load 2 shells + 1 in the chamber without throwing live rounds in the dirt?

thanks in advance

- richard

my nova has almost always been flawless with 0 jams ever, but the 1 issue is when I put on my scope mount. If I tighten the screws too tight it squeezes the mecanisms too tight and the flap wont go down. I just loosen and it ejects agian. I suggest you call benelli, they will either give you an answer or have you send it in. I think you have a faulty gun.

I bought a new Benelli Nova last Christmas for my son. It's fired about 3 boxes over the last year. This has almost exclusively been single round shooting at clay targets with shells loaded through the ejection port. So, we really haven't exercised the feeding mechanism.

We're going Pheasant hunting next weekend and I was checking him out to make sure he could operate the gun when we discovered what appears to be a problem with me or the gun.

When I insert one or two shells in the bottom, they hold in the tube just fine. But, when I go to chamber the first round, the first shell springs out the bottom of the magazine.

I can override this behavior by depressing the button on the bottom of the forend as I pump it the first time. But, this is awkward and doesn't seem like the intended operation. It's way more complex than the Model 12 Winchesters I've used for 40+ years.

Has anybody else had this problem or issue with the Nova? Or, what procedure do you follow to load 2 shells + 1 in the chamber without throwing live rounds in the dirt?

thanks in advance

- richard

How do you chamber the round after you load 2 in the mag. tube?

There is 2 ways to load the Nova:

1. Load 2 rounds into the mag. tube.(bolt closed) Cycle the action and bring one round into the chamber.

2. Open action. put one round into the chamber. Close bolt. Put remaining shells in mag. tube.

If your doing it both ways and it doesn't work, it sounds like a the shell elevator problem.

Try Bolt closed. Load 1 round into the mag. tube. Elevator stays up right? Now, Cycle the action.(load the round into the chamber. Elevator is down now right? If not, there is your problem.

If its not the elevator, it might be the shell stop. But I'm thinking no.

Thanks all for the replies.

There seems to be an issue with the flap/elevator sticking when I load shells in the tube.

When I cycle the pump, the flap comes back down. But, it's not fast enough to prevent the first shell in the tube from ejecting out the bottom.

I'll call Benelli today and post the final resolution when I have one.

thanks!

I called Benelli. They say it is operating correctly and this is a safety feature.

When you load the shells in the tube, the flap/elevator should stay up.

If you try to cycle the pump without first firing the gun, the shell will eject from the bottom.

However, the flap should go down and the shells should cycle to the chamber if the gun has been fired.

I won't be able to test in advance. So, we'll take an extra shotgun along.

Thanks all for your assistance.

I called Benelli. They say it is operating correctly and this is a safety feature.

When you load the shells in the tube, the flap/elevator should stay up.

If you try to cycle the pump without first firing the gun, the shell will eject from the bottom.

However, the flap should go down and the shells should cycle to the chamber if the gun has been fired.

I won't be able to test in advance. So, we'll take an extra shotgun along.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Benelli told you wrong. The flap will stay up when you load a shell in the mag tube. When you cycle the action the flap goes down. It has nothing to do with firing the shotgun.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the heads up.

There's nothing more frustrating than fighting with a shotgun while the birds fly by.

I'll bring a spare.

I have what sounds like the same problem on a brand new Nova 20 gauge. They told me to mail it in and they'd look at it. Glad you decided to take a spare gun, cause I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Benelli.

• 10 years later...

I bought a Benelli super nova new online and I never try to shoot even once and the only thing I did is to put a picatinny rail with shell holder on it and I bought a snap cap just to practice before I go to the shooting range to my surprise it won’t load to chamber it stack on the mag tube  anyone know how to fix this?

I bought a Benelli super nova new online and I never try to shoot even once and the only thing I did is to put a picatinny rail with shell holder on it and I bought a snap cap just to practice before I go to the shooting range to my surprise it won’t load to chamber it stack on the mag tube  anyone know how to fix this?