M2 cycling issue

jed1894

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The jammed round only occurs on the 3rd round. Unlike what I had been told by someone else on another board, the carrier latch is in a different position when a round is still in the magazine. When the magazine is empty (as with my jam), the carrier latch has more pressure in the rear section (toward the butt of the gun). When a round is still in the magazine, the pressure is equal because the carrier latch is holding a shell in the tube.

JED,

I thought I told you this information before. Secondly, your gun is jamming because the bolt remains open if no shell is in the magazine. The Carrier Latch effectively handles this task. I also gave you very detailed instructions how to replace the Carrier Latch.

I am really wondering if you put the RECIEVER in a vise when removing your recoil spring tube and effectivle took the receiver out of tolerance. I have worked on over 500 SBE 1's 2's M1's, M2's, Montefeltros and have never experienced the problems you are encountering.

AGM 65 has given you some great information - his insights are far beyond the of most Benelli posts on this sight.

I think you neeed to send your gun back to Benelli and have a tolerance test on your receiver and bolt assembly.

1. The jammed round only occurs on the 3rd round. Unlike what I had been told by someone else on another board, the carrier latch is in a different position when a round is still in the magazine. When the magazine is empty (as with my jam), the carrier latch has more pressure in the rear section (toward the butt of the gun). When a round is still in the magazine, the pressure is equal because the carrier latch is holding a shell in the tube.

JED,

I thought I told you this information before. Secondly, your gun is jamming because the bolt remains open if no shell is in the magazine. The Carrier Latch effectively handles this task. I also gave you very detailed instructions how to replace the Carrier Latch.

I am really wondering if you put the RECIEVER in a vise when removing your recoil spring tube and effectivle took the receiver out of tolerance. I have worked on over 500 SBE 1's 2's M1's, M2's, Montefeltros and have never experienced the problems you are encountering.

AGM 65 has given you some great information - his insights are far beyond the of most Benelli posts on this sight.

I think you neeed to send your gun back to Benelli and have a tolerance test on your receiver and bolt assembly.

Benelli sent the wrong parts in the beginning and I finally got the carrier latch last. It came in a few days ago. I tried to replace the carrier latch tonight and buggered up the pin a little while trying to get it out so I stopped. I got it back in so the gun would work. Apparently my punch opened up the hollow pin enough to stop the removal. Since I'm sending it back anyway, I don't think I need to mess with it anymore.

I think you're right about the tolerance issue. I am sending it back as soon as I can get them on the telephone to get a RA number. I did not put it in a vise for the recoil tube/spring. It had this problem before I ever touch the recoil spring. This has been a problem since day one.

Since it seems to be a tolerance issue of some type, I agree, it needs to go back to Benelli.

Thanks for you instructions on the other stuff....

jed

Edited by jed1894
Add information

Why not continue your polishing approach and apply it to the carrier latch or at least the areas where the shell is sticking?

There's not doubt that some make of shells have slightly different shell part measurements: enough to cycle in some makes/models, but not so in others.

Why not continue your polishing approach and apply it to the carrier latch or at least the areas where the shell is sticking?

There's not doubt that some make of shells have slightly different shell part measurements: enough to cycle in some makes/models, but not so in others.

Good idea. I've got this carrier latch pin stuck now so I'm going to ask Benelli Monday what they'll do for me in regards to changing out the pin. If they'll change it out and check the tolerances, I may just let them handle it.

Thanks....jed

Well, thanks to Remarkable, agm65ccip and a few others, I got the carrier latch and spring changed out. I know, I said I was sending it back, but I could not resist. The new one is in and I will test the new carrier latch tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Got a favor: can you guys run a little experiment for me:

Put a round in the magazine tube with the bolt forward. Now hit the shell release button and let the shell come back and land on the carrier/elevator. Tell me if the round is loose (shake the gun or turn it upside down) or if the round is wedged between the carrier latch and receiver wall (cannot shake it loose).

thanks, jed

Well, thanks to Remarkable, agm65ccip and a few others, I got the carrier latch and spring changed out. I know, I said I was sending it back, but I could not resist. The new one is in and I will test the new carrier latch tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Got a favor: can you guys run a little experiment for me:

Put a round in the magazine tube with the bolt forward. Now hit the shell release button and let the shell come back and land on the carrier/elevator. Tell me if the round is loose (shake the gun or turn it upside down) or if the round is wedged between the carrier latch and receiver wall (cannot shake it loose).

thanks, jed

Good job on getting the carrier latch replaced.

As far as your experiment, when I push the CDL the round gets thrown back nearly against the black plastic of the trigger group. It is stuck there and no amount of shaking it will free it. The bolt pulls back easily and the carrier lifts just fine when I let the bolt forward again.

Good job on getting the carrier latch replaced.

As far as your experiment, when I push the CDL the round gets thrown back nearly against the black plastic of the trigger group. It is stuck there and no amount of shaking it will free it. The bolt pulls back easily and the carrier lifts just fine when I let the bolt forward again.

Thanks......Mine must be normal now. I'll test today. Don't know what else it could be unless tolerance is out or chamber issue. Also, I'm going to PM you a link I found regarding a carrier issue.......not that it has anything to do with my problem....just thought you'd be interested. .... see what you think.

jed

buy a beretta urika it never jams never never.....

Yeah, I like them too. My 390 is bullet proof. .........but I'm not giving up on the M2. Since I'm a gun cleaning freak, I like the Benelli system. The Berettas are a little more complicated to clean. But, thanks for the advice.

jed

Nice, if nothing else you can say you know more about the inner workings of your gun than you did before. :p

You got that right. I can take this thing apart blind-folded.

I don't know what to do with myself now! Guess I'll figure out how to get the scratches off now :D.

Thanks for your help.

jed

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Jed found the key. I posted to the thread I had originally started on the topic (M2 Feeding Failure) to freshen it up. I have photo's in there illustrating the jam I had been experiencing. My M2 stayed in the safe through the latter part of season because of this problem. Now I'll call Benelli and see if they'll ship me Jed's parts! (they might know him by first name! LOL)

Happy Jed found the key. I posted to the thread I had originally started on the topic (M2 Feeding Failure) to freshen it up. I have photo's in there illustrating the jam I had been experiencing. My M2 stayed in the safe through the latter part of season because of this problem. Now I'll call Benelli and see if they'll ship me Jed's parts! (they might know him by first name! LOL)

That's funny. I think we're on good terms now. I even emailed them everything thing I did to the gun so they could use the information in the future (if they so desired).

I would start with the carrier latch and spring first. It is amazing that such a cheap part fixed my problem. Very happy with gun now.....been testing it this week (last week of dove season) with no problems. Shot it today in about 25 deg weather and it fired everytime.

Good luck. jed

• 4 months later...