Help M4 Mag tube installation

shugz

• 2 weeks later...
I heard of some guy putting his reciever/tube in the oven, but that's not very good. Just spend the $15 and get a heatgun. You don't need an IR thermometer if you use common sense.

I don't see much downside to the oven idea. If you bake it at 275 for 15-20 minutes that should do the trick. Just make sure its stripped completely and prop it up on the Mag tube and recoil tube to make sure the receiver does not touch the rack or pan (just a precaution, 275 should be well below any curing temp for the finish). I would think even heating like this would be less dangerous than high temp, uneven heating with a heat gun especially if you have the camo finish. Set on high the heat guns can reach 1000degrees Fahrenheit, aluminum melts at 1200degrees. I used a heat gun on mine with a variable output. I set it to 600degrees and kept slowly rotating the receiver and mag tube to heat it as evenly as possible.

Set the oven to 375 and bake some cookies along with the receiver, when the cookies are done, eat a few and then give the mag tube a twist.:)

Edited by OhioM4

I'm going to be getting an M4 in a couple of weeks and planned on getting the 2 shot extension. Exactly how much of a PITA is it to change? A heat gun? :eek: I'm beginning to wonder is it's even worth it for 2 more shots...

You won't need a heat gun for a 2 shot extension. It'll just screw on and replace the limiter. The heat gun is to remove the factory tube where it screws into the receiver in order to replace it with a full length mag tube.

Later,

Hookster :)

Ahh ok, I was begining to worry, thanks :D

You won't need a heat gun for a 2 shot extension. It'll just screw on and replace the limiter. The heat gun is to remove the factory tube where it screws into the receiver in order to replace it with a full length mag tube.

Later,

Hookster :)