Super Nova=Super Sticky?

Ralph

I recently pruchased a Super Nova with the 18 inch smoothbore barrel. While shooting several different brands of slugs it has a tendency to jam up with the faster (at least the box says faster) rounds. I have to grab the forend and slam the butstock down on the floor sharply to get some to open. There is a nice pulled up spot on the rim from the extractor claw on those rounds.

Slow rounds like Brenneke Low Recoil Home Defense, Remmington Slugger's don't have any issues and no claw marks.

I tested some shot shells with the bolt and barrel free of the receiver and found there is a variable tightness with the bolt cammed into place. Some rounds the bolt is almost impossible to turn out of the locking lug's engaged position.

Anybody seen this? Is it a barrel issue or a bolt lug issue? Can it be lapped or just sent back to Benelli? It might be too tight of headspace for some rounds that are kind of thick.

I like the gun despite this and am hoping it can be fixed. It is a lot nicer to shoot than my Mossberg.

I had an issue like that with a 870 supermag, I simply went over to my Dad's house, looked through his plumbing drawer, grabed a hand brush that is made for cleaning the inside of 3/4'' copper fittings. Took off the barrel and cleaned the chamber, the problem went away instantly. I am shure that they make a brush for this, it's just that I haven't found one yet. I have to clean the chamber about twice a year, under hard hunting conditions. Good luck

I think it may have more to do with either the lugs or the headspacing. It seems very hard to turn in by hand with some shells. I am testing it with used ones that would have been expanded or otherwise altered by firing to try to replicate what happens on extraction. I might do a buff on the bolt as I think it is just a bit snug. My bolt head is black where I have seen some that are shiny. Don't know if that means anything.

It is very close whatever the issue is.

I know it sound like I am off my rocker, but the quickest way to tell if it is the chamber, drop a 31/2'' shell in the chamber, turn the barrel upside down and the shell should fall out. All shells should fall out, regardless of brand. If all goes well with that test, it may very well be your bolt.

I had this same problem with a Mossberg 590 a long time ago, first thing was it had a problem with shells that had been cycled before.....the same gun had a problem with the military oil as well, it would foul out the chamber so bad that after about three shots it was almost impossble to eject the spent shell casing

I polished the chamber area where the brass would engage the chamber walls during expansion. There were a lot of machining rings that originally felt smooth to the touch but a series of 400 & 800 emery cloth followed with some buffing with JB bore paste and then hooking a wire chamber brush up to a power drill and setting it loose in the chamber seems to have helped. I used a spend shell that would not come out without tapping from the muzzle end as a test part. I buffed until it slipped out with little or no effort.

Bottom line is now it cycles just fine with all the 2 3/4 shells I have previously had issues with. No extractor claw marks or bent rims.

I did get a package of KO slugs from Brenneke as initially it was a Brenneke only issue. Later the Winchester rounds started jamming.

Now I like this gun again. Pity a fluff n buff was needed on new in box unit.

• 3 years later...