Nova vs. Supernova recoil

jroberts548

I'm interested in buying my first shotgun, mainly for trap shooting, but I'd also like to be able to hunt with it. I'm basically settled on either the Supernova or the Nova, and as near as I can tell the main difference is the Comfortech stock. How much lighter is the felt recoil on the Supernova than on the Nova? Is it worth the price difference? Again, this will mainly be for trap, so I want to be able to comfortably shoot 100 times or more in a day without killing my shoulder, but, being a grad student, I'd like not to spend too much money.

I'm interested in buying my first shotgun, mainly for trap shooting, but I'd also like to be able to hunt with it. I'm basically settled on either the Supernova or the Nova, and as near as I can tell the main difference is the Comfortech stock. How much lighter is the felt recoil on the Supernova than on the Nova? Is it worth the price difference? Again, this will mainly be for trap, so I want to be able to comfortably shoot 100 times or more in a day without killing my shoulder, but, being a grad student, I'd like not to spend too much money.

I've never fired a Nova, but hunting with slugs and practice shooting with 3" mags, makes my Supernova feel like recoil is easier on the shoulder, than any other pump shotgun I have ever fired.

Hard to imagain that a Nova would handle recoil better, with no recoil supression, but some Nova owners say it is so. :)

What's a extra hundred bucks, for a gun that you may shoot for the next 20+ years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swQrT8bfLYA&feature=PlayList&p=E18398A4AA8076FF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19

Comfortech, etc,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCj0PCGGxtA

At the end of the video, Benelli says it may add Comfortech to the Nova model.

Edited by Plowjockey

• 3 weeks later...

I have both a Nova tactical, and a Supernova 28" vent rib barrel. The Nova has what may as well be a brick for a recoil pad. Supernova has a comfort tech stock. The Supenova gives a very slight reduction in felt recoil. Notice I say very slight. To be honest, the Nova dosen't hurt my sholder even when shooting slugs and 00 buckshot. Low brass birdshot is a non issue for either. For a while, I was planning on getting a new recoil pad for the Nova, due to the sore shoulder I was getting. Then I got the hang of shouldering it properly, and using a proper stance. Keep your strong arms elbo up so that your arm stays parallel with the ground. This forms a pocket in your shoulder and drastically reduces felt recoil. Pulling the shotgun back tight into that pocket and a proper cheak weld are also really important for reducing felt recoil. It takes practice to get this right. Once you do however, you'll be able to shoot either comfortably. I wound up keeping the brick on my Nova. For the record, I'm about 6'4" and roughly 180lb, so I don't have a heavily padded shoulder. I wouldn't worry about the recoil too much. Just give yourself time with whatever you buy to develop a proper technique, and 100 rounds of target loads won't even phase you. Good luck on your purchase.