Choke too tight?

ishootkittens

well i wanted to give the flitecontrol wad a shot but i heard that a ported choke gives terrible results. I usually use the big black winchester X's in the 3 1/2 inch. I get pretty guud results but i was looking at some choke tubes and a buddy of mine found a carlsons .640 turkey choke. I was just going to see if it would give me terrible results. the choke is just 20 bucks i mean its not going to break the bank, but i was also told to use small shot with this choke like 6 or 7. any truth to any of it.

can a turkey choke be too tight?! even with 6 shot?! carlson makes a .640 constriction for a 12 gauge.. too tight or is there such a thing?

For what gun? I don't see a .640 listed for a Benelli, but I think they do make them, I recall owning a .640 a few years back, unported, thick choke for sure. I also recall the patterns were blown out even when using #6's.

I think much depends on the instructions for use of the choke and the ID of the gun.

Being a turkey hunting forum, I'm only guessing that you are not planning to shoot steel shot though said .640. The choke might even say lead only or have instructions to that extent.

Yes, some of the very tight chokes are called 'card shooting' chokes, and can give great patterns with very small shot. Not sure I've even seen a card shooting choke for 6's, but I recall them for 7.5's and smaller.

Kick's makes them:

http://www.kicks-ind.com/ASP/cardshooter.asp

I usually use the big black winchester X's in the 3 1/2 inch. I get pretty guud results but i was looking at some choke tubes and a buddy of mine found a carlsons .640 turkey choke. I was just going to see if it would give me terrible results. the choke is just 20 bucks i mean its not going to break the bank, but i was also told to use small shot with this choke like 6 or 7. any truth to any of it.

I've used a Hastings .660 ported choke with great results for years. I bought a .640 to try , figuring that tighter is better. It was non ported. I also shoot Win. Hi-Velocity #6's. It actually produced an inconsistant pattern that was not as tight as the .660. So to make a long story short, that set up did not work for me. Been there, done that, got the Tee Shirt. It also advised not to shoot anything bigger than #6's out of the .640. Good luck...

well the whole reason i wanted to try an non-ported choke is because i wanted to give the flight control a shot. oh and its for my supernova.i have a jelly head and i get good results but i saw .640 and said wow, thats tight. i was planning on shooting lead 6's out of it. but if its too tight and you guys have tried em before with bad results i guess i have my answers.

Carlson does say that their best results come from the .665 but I will be giving the .640 a good field testing this up coming year. Your best bet IMO would be to get the almost 1/2 off Turkey setup (not ported version because they offer both) because it comes with a pattern tested choke, which should at least ensure that it patterns good out of the box.

Good Luck in your decision.

Tyson

In my Supernova, I have found The Undertaker to be tough to beat with most of the loads tested. The results I have recieved with Oldschool Remington Hevi-Shot is pure madness. The tube is cheap, and the results make it a value. Also, these tubes can be found in many places. There are many different variations of these tubes.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45948____SearchResults

you are the man, you didnt have to go out of the way for the pattern! i trusted you but thanks man! that is a great pattern at 45 yards, if i find a choke/shot pattern that patterns like this at 45 yards ill probably stick with it. i just got some advice from another member that says that the flight control like really open chokes like MOD chokes. I think im gunna run out and get the ammo and shoot it through my full and my mod before i go out and buy a brand new X-full choke. but if i dont get the right results with those chokes then i will still be in the hunt for a good choke/shot combo! thanks to everyone.

No prob.

Do not be afraid to experiment with different combos. Just like turkey hunting itself, Thare Are No Absolutes. One of the absolute best shooting combos I have is a Benelli M1, that uses a ported Primos Tightwad turkey choke combined with Federal F/C 3in #6's. This is another $20 range tube. If you can get a couple of buddies together, each having a different tube/shell, and swap with each other, you can cover a lot of ground pattern wise, and learn a lot without breaking the bank.

isk,

i'm sure you have already heard this from someone but the choke you select really depends on the shot size you intend to choose. Example the .640" choke will more than likely pattern best with #7.5 or even #8 lead shot! Let's assume you want to shoot #6 or #5 copper plated buffered shot for Turkey hunting...I would lean toward a .660" or .665". Maybe you want to use Heavy Shot or another brand of "heavier than lead" Turkey loads in #6, my recommendation would be to consider a .670" or .675" choke.

finally, I prefer an extended ported choke personally and one of my favorites in my Benelli SBE and SuperNova is a Kicks GT but it really depends on which ammo I shoot as to which patterns best.

i also agree with Chad, many of those under $25 turkey chokes work very well, the undertakers, tightwads and some of the best chokes i've found were Carlson XF and XXF that were sold at close-out prices for under $20 at Cabela's!

thats my two cents....

Jeff in SW Ohio

Edited by 10Gauge