Another Youth Shotgun Poll

Opinions on following youth guns  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Opinions on following youth guns

• Benelli Montefeltro Youth
    • Beretta AL391 Youth
    • Other

My 8yo is getting interested in shooting sports, especially clays. He has been shooting his grandfather's Franchi 48al 20ga, and though he is having fun, that gun is beating him to death and is awkward for his 8yo frame. I'm looking at a couple of shotguns and would like feedback.

1. Benelli Montefeltro Youth

2. Beretta AL391 Youth

3. Other

Thanks!

I'd go with a Remington 1187 Sportsman Youth. A little less costly than the other two, and the softest shooter of the three. And with a new stock and a new barrel, convertible to a full size gun when he grows out of it (don't know if the others will do that too, but probably.)

• 4 weeks later...
My 8yo is getting interested in shooting sports, especially clays. He has been shooting his grandfather's Franchi 48al 20ga, and though he is having fun, that gun is beating him to death and is awkward for his 8yo frame. I'm looking at a couple of shotguns and would like feedback.

1. Benelli Montefeltro Youth

2. Beretta AL391 Youth

3. Other

Thanks!

i would go 1100 youth the regular 1100 is great if he wants to bird hunt and shoot targets its made for both and i know the recoil on the twelve guage isnt that bad and theres a 7 yr old who shoots one where I trap shoot and hes fine with it so im sure he would be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input! We tried a few guns from friends and were able to shoot a couple, including an 1100. At the end of the day, he said the Monty felt the most comfortable when mounted - most likely due to the shortest LoP of what we looked at. We went that route and visited the club yesterday. It is light and therefore more recoil than some of the others we tried, but after a couple of boxes he still wanted to shoot. I have yet been able to wipe the grin off his face. Maybe Hoppes 9 will work...............