Lethality of bird shot

tucker301

Yeah 2 questions actually:

1. You can legally use birdshot on a deer? (here it is slugs only so I have no dealings with legal use of shot to begin with let alone birdshot)

2. Headshot?

1.http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use Yep

2.What. You can't shoot a BG in the head?

1.http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use Yep

2.What. You can't shoot a BG in the head?

1. nice

2. you certainly can shoot a BG in the head I was just asking if that was what tucker here did with that deer. If I was only 20 yards away and was using birdshot I would go for the headshot.

First shot was head and neck. She spun around and I popped her again in the opposite shoulder, the she started stumbling away so I left her have another load in the back of the head.

She still managed to get about 30 yards from me and stopped again. By then I had loaded another shell and shot for the head one more time.

She looked an awful lot like swiss cheese. :D

Bambi?

She was mid-sized for this area.

Probably 1-1/2 yr old. About 120 lbs.

Not exactly a "humane" kill, but a kill none the less ... I still wouldn't do bird shot for defense or hunting unless you absolutely had to. I'd use #3-#1 buck out of my 12 gauge. (I've actually use #1 ... Not for hunting. I don't hunt.)

If your killing something in defense,does it have to be humane?

It would be hard to shoot dove with #3 buck and if you did, you would want a head shot.:cool:

First shot was head and neck. She spun around and I popped her again in the opposite shoulder, the she started stumbling away so I left her have another load in the back of the head.

She still managed to get about 30 yards from me and stopped again. By then I had loaded another shell and shot for the head one more time.

This is the kind of crap that just gives the anti-hunters more ammo to use against hunters and makes hunters look like a bunch of goobers.

If your killing something in defense,does it have to be humane?

It would be hard to shoot dove with #3 buck and if you did, you would want a head shot.:cool:

My fault for splitting the topic into two topics (birdshot for deer hunting and birdshot for self-defense).

No. If it's a self-defense situation; "humane" doesn't come into the picture at all. But this was a deer. Having to hit it 3 or 4 times to kill it is excessive. I would rather something more suitable for deer hunting was used to make it "humane". (And, yes; there's a reason why I put "humane" in quotation marks all the time. I'm not entirely sold on the idea of "humane" treatment of animals; but I do not see the point in causing an animal to suffer needlessly either.)

As far as hunting, I wouldn't be using buck shot for dove anyway. I probably wouldn't be using my M4 either. Such a lowly task for my M4. :p I'm not about to kill dove anyway. We don't have too many of them where I live, and I'm not the type to hunt for sport.

Bambi?

She was mid-sized for this area.

Probably 1-1/2 yr old. About 120 lbs.

So, your story tells us what we already know ... that even large "bird shot" is grossly ineffective at stopping and putting down 120 lb weak animals at relatively close ranges.

4 shots and 30+ seconds to kill an animal that wasn't trying to attack you and still managed to move 30 yards, more than the length of your shot, after being hit 3 times.

And it blows my mind that some idiots actually believe that birdshot, even #4, is an acceptable home defense round to use against 230 lb charging crackheads at 5 yards that ARE trying to kill you.

Other than that, good shoot ... you sure showed that baby deer who was boss, and got some swiss cheesed deer meat for your efforts.

facepalm.jpg

This is the kind of crap that just gives the anti-hunters more ammo to use against hunters and makes hunters look like a bunch of goobers.

Anti-hunters don't need reasons to be against hunting, Goober.

They're against hunting because they don't understand it, they don't do it, they have no desire to do it, and they need to have a cause other than trying to make their own lives and the lives of the people around them better in some way.

I shoot deer because we have too many deer and they're tasty.

If I happen to be duck hunting, and the opportunity presents itself, yes, I will kill a deer.

We have a two-week long doe season here. Hunters here are can kill six does on their standard big game license. if they run out of tags and want to kill more, then they can go back and buy more.

They're like big rats. Big rats that eat people's gardens, shrubs, flowers and crops. Big rats that run out in front of vehicles and destroy property and endanger lives.

I'm sorry they're so darned cut and cuddly.

I'm REAL sorry that Walt Disney made a movie about one being so cute and cuddly.

They also made a movie about rats being intelligent beings with personalities, etc.

I don't even eat rats, but I'll damnt sure kill every one that I can, just the same.

So truckcop, thanks for your opinion. It's always welcomed and appreciated.

I like educating those less knowledgeable than myself.

I appreciate the opportunity.

So, your story tells us what we already know ... that even large "bird shot" is grossly ineffective at stopping and putting down 120 lb weak animals at relatively close ranges.

4 shots and 30+ seconds to kill an animal that wasn't trying to attack you and still managed to move 30 yards, more than the length of your shot, after being hit 3 times.

And it blows my mind that some idiots actually believe that birdshot, even #4, is an acceptable home defense round to use against 230 lb charging crackheads at 5 yards that ARE trying to kill you.

Other than that, good shoot ... you sure showed that baby deer who was boss, and got some swiss cheesed deer meat for your efforts.

facepalm.jpg

A 120 pound deer is twice as strong as person twice it's size. Although you won't see a doe coming after a human, it could beat the **** out of any crackhead.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about killing a deer. I hunt too. I quoted the manner in which you did it and commented on that. Yes, when I'm duck, pheasant, or quail hunting, I will also shoot a deer. But I will reload my gun with the appropriate ammo to do it for a clean kill, rather than turning it into "swiss cheese". That's why I carry buckshot or slugs as a backup for just such occasions, whatever is appropriate/legal for the location. There are still ethical considerations for some of us who hunt. I guess I just grew up in a different era.

Try out #4 in the list linked here:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_fairchase.asp?area=huntingEthics

Edited by truckcop

That's why I carry buckshot or slugs as a backup for just such occasions, whatever is appropriate/legal for the location. There are still ethical considerations for some of us who hunt. I guess I just grew up in a different era.

Try out #4 in the list linked here:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_fairchase.asp?area=huntingEthics

Do these ethics apply to flies, ants, roaches, mice, skunks. as well?

I always find it humorous that the more "noble" and "majestic" an animal is, the more ethically we're supposed to be when killing it.

Particularly fun when the duck hunting gentlemen feel the need to shoo the ducks into the air before killing them.

Water swatting is so barbaric and coon-ass.

How do ethics apply in turning an easy stationary target into a moving one for a cleaner kill?

Would you shoot a pheasant on the ground?

I would, because he's just as dead and I've got a better chance of making the exact shot I want to make. Might even get all head and not mess up any breast meat.

I'd love to carry buckshot while duck hunting, but the feds tend frown on it.

Yeah, I know I can get Hevi-shot buckshot, but then I'm worried that it will get mixed in with my #4 Black Clouds and I'll end up over-killing a duck.

I don't know what ethics rule that violates, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

The way I see it, my big old brain and my opposable thumbs have landed me atop the food chain, and I'm going to put that to good use.

I hunt like a predator that's trying to kill prey.

I'm sorry if that offends you.

Just kidding. I'm not sorry at all. :p

One more point, truckcop.

This deer would have more than likely expired quickly from the first shot, but I wanted to make darned sure she went down as quickly as possible, to ensure recovery and to minimize her suffering.

I have killed scores of deer and I know when they can be killed and when to hold off.

This deer could be killed with little trouble, and she was.

Compared to being shot in the gut by an arrow that missed its mark by a couple inches, this kill was as ethical was it any.

And yeah, it was fun.

This just goes to show that just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Mainly because stunts like this have an odd way of getting FUBAR in a hurry. With a garden-rat, it's not so big unless a game-warden sees it. They are the equivalent of the FBI for all common purposes when it comes to their authority, btw. However, when it's someone else holding a weapon that wishes you harm, I wouldn't be so keen on risking it. In fact, I wouldn't.

Edited by Unobtanium

When she stepped out into the path I could have sworn she flashed a pearl handled .45 grip, .....just for an instant.

It was like I saw it, and then again, I didn't.

My instincts and hours of tactical training took full control of me.

It was like I was on full auto-pilot. Outside of myself, looking upon myself, in full 1080P with 7.1 surround sound.

A spectator and a participant.

BOOM-BOOM..BOOM......BOOM

Armed or not, this was one dangerous b|tch, and the world is just a bit safer today without her.

/end mocking :D

whats with the stupid mentality, "i hope it didnt suffer any more than it had to"???:rolleyes: if TUCKER was set out to kill a doe, i dont care if he used a slingshot and had to hit it 100 times to put it down!! its just an over-populated F--KING DEER!!just like coyotes in some areas, F--KING PESTS!! and whomever said it, said it best. YES WE ARE AT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN!! so deal with it.;)