Benelli M4 ammo

alfred10

What defensive ammo runs best in a clean and dirty Benelli M4?

I am looking at running a 3 inch buck shot or slug for my first then possibly 2.75 for the rest.

Will it mess it up if I use a 3 inch followed by 2.75 in the elevator or tube? Or, if I used a 3inch in chamber, 3 inch in elevetor, and 2.75 in tube.

Whats the differences between slugs? Which will have the largest chance of dropping a charging bear? I have seen KO slugs and other brands but dont know much about them.

Geez ... Where to begin?

Don't know what runs "best". I just know that I'm not worried about my M4 running. It will.

Why mix 3-inch with 2.75? There isn't any technical problem with that, as far as I'm aware; I just don't see the point. I've got 2.75" slugs and #1 buck. One in the chamber, 7 in the tube. If that's enough power there, I'm not sure how much 3" magnum is going the help. (I also don't like having "variety" in my TOE. The fewer variables, the better.) Personally, I'd rather have the extra round. I pull fast when I'm scared ... Er, not that anything scares me.

how does the argo system work

I'm not an engineer and haven't researched the M4 specifically, so I'll try to get this right in layman's terms based on my limited field-stripping of the firearm. When a shot is fired, a portion of the expanding gasses pushing out the slug/shot and wad are syphoned out of the barrel through two or four ports a couple inches forward of the receiver. The pressure from the gasses pushes two pistons rearward; and they, in turn, push the bolt carrier to the rear (unlocking the bolt and ejecting the empty shell).

There are some intricacies in there that I am not fully understanding; but that's it in a nutshell.

While I am a total noob with the M4 and shotguns, one thing to keep in mind is that the barrel is not rifled. I'm not sure if it would hurt the m4, but there are slugs out there that are advertised for rifled barrels only. My feeling is as follows: spend less on the type of ammo and more on quantity until you find what fits your parameters. Then buy as much as possible. Rinse. Repeat. AFAIK, a shotgun IS NOT the first thing you want to reach for when engaging most dangerous game. The only exception would be wild pigs. For that, check out Dixie slugs. They have some pretty wicked looking loads.

AFAIK, a shotgun IS NOT the first thing you want to reach for when engaging most dangerous game. The only exception would be wild pigs. For that, check out Dixie slugs. They have some pretty wicked looking loads.

I take that you haven't seen the results of a slug impacting a deer?

AFAIK, a shotgun IS NOT the first thing you want to reach for when engaging most dangerous game. The only exception would be wild pigs. For that, check out Dixie slugs. They have some pretty wicked looking loads.

I take that you haven't seen the results of a slug impacting a deer?

Deer? Dangerous game? What type of deer are you hunting? I want in on that!

Deer? Dangerous game? What type of deer are you hunting? I want in on that!

Does the damage a slug or buckshot does change if the animal is dangerous, because that was my point.

I would rather have a shotgun loaded with either to grab if I came across a big cat out in the sandhills versus a handgun or scoped rifle.

Alfred, back to your original questions. I think you're primarily concerned about home defense. Correct? Slugs work fine with the M4 but I would change the standard MOD choke to a cylinder or improved cylinder and, of course used rifled slugs. Slugs do have a couple of problems. The recoil is higher (gases cannot escape around the shot), and they really mess up the barrel. They can coat the inside with lead "foil" which is hard to get out. My recommendation is Remmington 00 BK "Managed Recoil" shells. The recoil is less allowing for faster, more accurate follow up shots, and they still pack quite a punch. Also you can continue to use the standard MOD choke. Just my opinion.

Does the damage a slug or buckshot does change if the animal is dangerous, because that was my point.

Depends on the animal. Dangerous game animals do tend to have thicker hides. Magnum rifle rounds penetrate better in those cases. But I get your point. In the case of self-defense, the "dangerous game" isn't more resistant to damage than deer.

Depends on the animal. Dangerous game animals do tend to have thicker hides. Magnum rifle rounds penetrate better in those cases. But I get your point. In the case of self-defense, the "dangerous game" isn't more resistant to damage than deer.

That was the only point I was trying to make. The issue is not what a slug does to a deer, but whether it would stop a wild pig (which in many ways is tougher than a target with more human features) or a bear before it had a chance to give someone a very bad day.

In the interest of full disclosure, the only deer I've ever seen shot have been on tv. I've seen pigs close up, and would feel more comfortable engaging it with the business end of a truck than I would with a gun.