Optics on a benelli M4? Which one and why?

alfred10

Might get optics for to swtich between my AK47 and Benelli M4. Other than battery life what makes the eotech or aimpoint better? How much better is the shotgun with these at close and moderate range?

I've use both...and they are both good optics. The Aimpoint will be a little smaller and will allow for more vision around the sight. The EOTech is a lot larger, but a little more robust.

The battery life on an Aimpoint is incredible when compared against an EOTech, and I also prefer Aimpoint's power knob versus the up/down push buttons that EOTech offers.

I prefer EOTech's mounting method versus the Aimpoint, and no optional equipment is required for them besides a Picatinny rail.

The other key difference is that the EOTech utilizes a red dot/crosshair combination for varying POA while the typical Aimpoint uses a simple red dot. (Hence the longer battery life.)

In the end, they are both capable sights. The biggest reason for using them is that it is easier and faster to place a red dot on the target vice lining up two seperate ends of a sight.

I've use both...and they are both good optics. The Aimpoint will be a little smaller and will allow for more vision around the sight. The EOTech is a lot larger, but a little more robust.

The battery life on an Aimpoint is incredible when compared against an EOTech, and I also prefer Aimpoint's power knob versus the up/down push buttons that EOTech offers.

I prefer EOTech's mounting method versus the Aimpoint, and no optional equipment is required for them besides a Picatinny rail.

The other key difference is that the EOTech utilizes a red dot/crosshair combination for varying POA while the typical Aimpoint uses a simple red dot. (Hence the longer battery life.)

In the end, they are both capable sights. The biggest reason for using them is that it is easier and faster to place a red dot on the target vice lining up two seperate ends of a sight.

Yeah, if you never take it out of the box :rolleyes:

Iffytech is nowhere NEAR as robust as the Aimpoint. They drain batteries turned off, they break often according to postings on other forums by guys over in the sand-box. Often just from the rifle being dropped.

I'm giving the nod to the Aimpoint for strength over the Eotech.

For me the Eotech gives me a better and larger site picture. I can be farther from an optimum cheek weld and still make a shot.

In a nutshell if I drop it I'd rather have an Aimpoint. If I'm shooting it I'd rather have an Eotech.

The Tripower uses batteries otherwise it would be a Bi-power. The one I used didn't hold up and just wasn't good in general. I sent it back, Trijicon fixed it no questions asked. In fact it looked to me like it was a new not repaired unit complete with a new case. Great company to work with. I have owned and used many of Trijicons other products and they are great.

Hi Alfred,

I have both as well EO Tech on an AR and Aimpoint on a SOCOM. Both great but I don't plan on doing any drop tests :) There's lots of people that swear on one over the other on both sides. I find the EO Tech reticle a little more "bloomy" depending on the brightness setting when I use it without a magnifier. With the magnifier the reticle looks great. Here's a pic of Benelli M4 with the Aimpoint on it

006.jpg

Later,

Hookster

I'm giving the nod to the Aimpoint for strength over the Eotech.

For me the Eotech gives me a better and larger site picture. I can be farther from an optimum cheek weld and still make a shot.

In a nutshell if I drop it I'd rather have an Aimpoint. If I'm shooting it I'd rather have an Eotech.

The Tripower uses batteries otherwise it would be a Bi-power. The one I used didn't hold up and just wasn't good in general. I sent it back, Trijicon fixed it no questions asked. In fact it looked to me like it was a new not repaired unit complete with a new case. Great company to work with. I have owned and used many of Trijicons other products and they are great.

Trijicon is an EXCELLENT company, for the M4, I would look at their RMR. The reflex sights like the RX-30 are inferior to a red-dot imho. However, the Aimpoint T1 is still the standard for this kind of setup.

I prefer the Eotech. I looked at the Aimpoint and finding that little dot quickly was a PITA. The Eotech is up and the site picture is there instantly. With the Aimpoint you have to look through the tube like a normal scope, with the Eotech, you can have both eyes open so you don't get tunnel vision.

The battery issues that most people speak of are with the "N" batteries. Stick with an AA Eotech and you should be fine (512, 517 ect).

Try both out the next time you are at the store. Your eyes will tell you which works best.

The Aimpoint in the picture is the ML 3 with an Aimpoint low ring. I'm actually just using my Meprolight tritium iron sights at the moment. I just stuck the Aimpoint on there for fun when I got it for my SOCOM and took a couple pics. I didn't fire it with it on there or anything but it actually seemed pretty nice. If I do end up an optic on the M4 though, it'll probably be an Aimpoint T-1, a Trijicon RMR or

a Trijicon red dot.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=666&back_row=0&categoryID=13

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=577&back_row=1&categoryID=13

Later,

Hookster :)

Yeah, if you never take it out of the box :rolleyes:

Iffytech is nowhere NEAR as robust as the Aimpoint. They drain batteries turned off, they break often according to postings on other forums by guys over in the sand-box. Often just from the rifle being dropped.

Understanding that opinions vary, and generally based on what equipment the submitter owns (I am no exception), I will submit that I had to send around 20 percent of my company's CompM4's to the Rock Island boy's at Balad for various reasons...chief among them was a busted power knob. (The only higher percentage was the Trijicon ACOG)

Knowing the physics behind dropping a 9 pound weapon on a 9 ounce sight will tell you that most won't survive...I think that the EOTech has less stuff to break, although there is a trade-off with battery consumption and size.

If we take general a$$-hattery out of the picture, most sights will never see the abuse, and then it becomes a matter of what you want to look through, and look at.

Understanding that opinions vary, and generally based on what equipment the submitter owns (I am no exception), I will submit that I had to send around 20 percent of my company's CompM4's to the Rock Island boy's at Balad for various reasons...chief among them was a busted power knob. (The only higher percentage was the Trijicon ACOG)

Knowing the physics behind dropping a 9 pound weapon on a 9 ounce sight will tell you that most won't survive...I think that the EOTech has less stuff to break, although there is a trade-off with battery consumption and size.

If we take general a$$-hattery out of the picture, most sights will never see the abuse, and then it becomes a matter of what you want to look through, and look at.

Taking general ass-hattery out of the picture, the weight and battery munching of the EOTech still disqualifies it imho. I currently own neither, so I don't have some emotional attatchment to either.

Also, the whole button pushing thing and having to turn the EOTech off = fail as well, imho.

T1 should always be on, always ready.

I generally fall into the "why" camp when it comes to optics on shotguns. Being the short range affair that they are I see little reason to have optics on a shotgun. I've shot some with dots on them and they were fast on target, but I don't know that they were necessarily faster than sites would be. My M4 will have no optics.

I generally fall into the "why" camp when it comes to optics on shotguns. Being the short range affair that they are I see little reason to have optics on a shotgun. I've shot some with dots on them and they were fast on target, but I don't know that they were necessarily faster than sites would be. My M4 will have no optics.

Physics. Dot sights are always faster than irons, unless that iron is a bead, and beads aren't so easily adjustable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
I have an Aimpoint Micro T-1 arriving on Wed that I got specifically for the M4. I will take it out, Calibrate and give some feedback on my experience with it if anyone is interested. This will be my first Red Dot.

Looking forward to your review.

Looks like I am late to the party....

Lots of EoTech hate in this thread. I prefer the "dot in donut" reticle more than the singular dot. The XPS models are far superior to the earlier linear mounted battery models. As far as battery life, it's a non issue for someone that is not in a combat environment or LEO.

With thy that said, I have a T1 with the 4MOA dot on my M4. I would suggest to the OP, shoot with both eyes open, position the optic as far forward as possible. This will ensure you have the largest un obstructed field of view. I find that when the optic is farther back, I get a tunnel sensation and feel as if field of view is narrowed.

I have an aimpoint h-1 and an eotech xps 2-0 both on larue qd mounts and love them both. That said, my m4 will probably get a leupold delta point 2 on an ADM mount this summer. The new trijicon rmr are sweet too but the blue tint on the rmr kills me. I don't want anymore weight on my m4 for sure

I have a "Global Sportsman" reflex on mine. Been on there over a year, put over a thousand slugs downrange with it and still make consistent head shots at will out to 100 with it. I think I paid 29 bucks on Amazon with free shipping...:cool:

It works so well, I bought a spare in case it fell apart or got smashed or something. I zeroed the spare, placed it back in the box in my range bag and it's been there ever since. The first one is still kickin butt without a hiccup.

I also use a T-1 (2moa). I couldn't see myself running anything larger or heavier on an m4. The larue mount I had was slightly too low. I switched to a GDI. With the stock in the middle position the aimpoint's exactly where I need it to be.

I finally put a couple (50-75 remy slugs, rio buck) rounds through it last week & everything ran perfectly (even with the reduced power hammer spring). I like the ghost ring (sorta) but but love this red dot. It's never coming off my m4.