Eye dominance

Deanandtheratpack

1. Keep trying to shoot left-handed. Its the best solution in the long run. My daughter is right-handed and left eye dominant. She shoots left-handed. You may be well served by taking wingshooting lessons from someone. Look for an NSCA instructor in your area.

2. If that doesn't work (and give it plenty of time) try shooting right-handed with a piece of scotch tape over your left lens so your left eye can't see the end of the barrel.

3. There are other products, like sight blinders that attach to the side of the rib that prevents your left eye from seeing the bead, and special tube type beads that allow you to see the fiber optic bead only if your eye is directly lined up with the rib.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

when I was young I couldn't hit a thing right handed. My dad realized I was using the wrong eye closed. i couldn't close my left eye. So he had me shoot left handed and I was able to hit everything that way. i've shot left handed ever since.

I recommend the Easy Hit as well. I grew up shooting left handed because I do everything left handed, I didn't know at the time I was cross-eye dominant. Didn't matter though because I grew up shooting with my right eye shut. I recently bought a used SBE that had an Easy Hit optic on it. That sight, along with some simple drills, has taught me to shoot with both eyes open, which is the preferred way to shoot.

I am left eye dominant and shoot right. I tried to switch to shoot right, but too difficult for me. I experimented and practiced with a few routines until I landed on one that works well for me. Both eyes open as I bring up the shotgun and then close left eye in the second or two as I swing through the target. It has been working quite well for me. I shoot clays in a fun league and am serious in the field, so doing the blanked left lens is not practical.

when I was young I couldn't hit a thing right handed. My dad realized I was using the wrong eye closed. i couldn't close my left eye. So he had me shoot left handed and I was able to hit everything that way. i've shot left handed ever since.

Shouldn't close your eyes at all. Both eyes open when wingshooting. ( atleast one eye open for all other shooting.

I am a right-handed shooter and have always been left-eye dominant, though my shooting has never suffered. A few variables have helped me:

**A side by side can work wonders for someone struggling with eye dominance issues. This is especially true for upland hunting where snap shooting is more common.

**I've concentrated on practicing shouldering my weapon to perfect my form, using a well-fitted gun-- this is vital-- practicing getting my trigger-finger eye lined right down the ramp, even though the other eye is dominant. This allowed me to reflexively train alignment but more importantly the ramp seems to help the non-dominant eye to take over a bit. There is a bit of subconscious adjustment that can be ingrained with lots of shooting. That's where the optic aids like Knapp's can really help--they'll "drag" the focus over to the weaker eye.

The electronic optic add-ons help too. I have a Burris Speed Bead on my M1 for turkey hunting, but it could really help someone for wing shooting with an off-dominant eye.

**I agree with those who advocate shooting with both eyes open no matter what, if at all possible. If your off-eye is dominant, it still assists significantly in shotgunning, especially in gauging range to determine lead. Human eyes have the rare ability to triangulate targets, so it's best to utilize that ability in shotgunning.

I shoot clays in a fun league and am serious in the field, so doing the blanked left lens is not practical.

Not suggesting blacking out the entire lens. Just a small piece of scotch tape, large enough, and properly placed so your dominant eye can't see the end of the barrel.

im left eye dominant and right handed wtf?

it feels like im okay with sighting since i cant my left hand inwards/clockwise when shooting so im "sighting over the bore"

i also feel okay with drawing with my right hand since its my stronger arm but it seems like an odd combination.

anyway is there a consensus on what handedness should go with a particular eye dominance for optimum accuracy?

I am left-eye dominant unless I mount my shotgun. Then I switch to right-eye dominant. It wasn't hard to do. Just mount your gun and shut your left eye until your right eye becomes dominant. After a while, just mounting the gun will switch your eye dominance. I shoot with both eyes open and don't think about it much anymore, it just works. Now, I also switch to right-eye dominant if I raise my right arm and point at something. As long as something is in front and just below the line of sight of my right eye (arm or shotgun barrel), I am right eye dominant. Just practice, not enough left shooting guns out there to fix this problem.