O.T. > What Rations or Long Storable Food are we collecting???

M4JOHN

Many of us here believe, due to our insane government, that TSHTF within a year or two. Being the good scouts that we are, we are going to be as best prepared as we can. My question is, what types of foods are being purchased (ei, MRE’s, Dehydrated, Canned, Bagged, ect…) brand names, recipes, store names for purchasing such goods, and so on. Water is obvious in this case, but moreover , what are collecting as far as sustenance?

I happen to be pretty partial to mountain house, its not too bad ( as good as dehydrated food can expected to be I guess) , expensive, but it lasts for a long time. Beyond that, the obvious stuff, rice, beans, pasta, things that can be vacuum packed and expect to last for a good number of years… Also you can buy it almost anywhere….

So, what are you all collecting and what are your experiences and or suggestions on such?

Oh and Happy New Year Gunners!

Many of us here believe, due to our insane government, that TSHTF within a year or two. Being the good scouts that we are, we are going to be as best prepared as we can. My question is, what types of foods are being purchased (ei, MRE’s, Dehydrated, Canned, Bagged, ect…) brand names, recipes, store names for purchasing such goods, and so on. Water is obvious in this case, but moreover , what are collecting as far as sustenance?

I happen to be pretty partial to mountain house, its not too bad ( as good as dehydrated food can expected to be I guess) , expensive, but it lasts for a long time. Beyond that, the obvious stuff, rice, beans, pasta, things that can be vacuum packed and expect to last for a good number of years… Also you can buy it almost anywhere….

So, what are you all collecting and what are your experiences and or suggestions on such?

dammit JOHN!! quit holding out and just tell us where you buy your cheap secret stash !!!:D

dammit JOHN!! quit holding out and just tell us where you buy your cheap secret stash !!!:D

2 places

Le Target Boutique aka TARGET

REI, I dont know how many people have one near them, but is basically a high end camping store....

Where I keep my stuff....I keep it in a cool place, on my property.... and, well if you found it, chances are youll have an M4 pointing at ya ;-P

Git Off My Land!!!!

I dont know how old you are, but there was a video game made for computers about15 years ago, called RedNeck Rampage... that saying "git off my lawn!" was a main stay in that game.... funny stuff....

No need to bast'm back into the stone age, thats wasting AMMO !!!! , just one head shot.... then bust out the mop and bucket....

I'm still gnawing my way through my Y2K leftovers!

I have not actually purchased any food items yet but I somehow got on a mailing list (probably due to my new NRA membership) for a company called Emergency Essentials. You can view their online store at http://beprepared.com . They have multi-year food supply kits available.

I'll wait for the looting to start and just take **** away from people who forgot to buy guns and ammo...its cheaper.

I did buy a windup radio and light. Not necessarily for when TSHTF... ice storms and snow storms are more likely.

Edited by OhioM4

First of all, I disagree with your timeline. I don't believe that the SHTF will happen in the next couple of years. I think you're underestimating the level of complacency in America. It has given folks a very high tolerance for unpleasentness. Everyone thinks that problems will just blow over with time, so nobody wants to do anything. (For an example, just look at how the Democrats in our federal government are treating the threat of terrorism.)

Canned foods are the way to go. They have the longest shelf life aside from dehydrated foods. The problem with dehydrated foods (although they are lightweight, compact, and last practically forever) is that they require water, or will otherwise suck the moisture from your blood when you eat them. In a real SHTF scenario, potable water will be a more precious resource than food. Best not to waste it.

Coming from the US military, I have developed a preference for MRE's. I can tell you from experience that their shelf life is actually about three times what is printed on the containers, although the quality of the meal does degrade over time. I can live off a single MRE per day--and have several times--and the extras (gum/candy, hot sauce, heating tab, and plastic bag) can be used for other meals and purposes. They are a great "utility" meal and a must-have for when you can't be at home ... Although I still contend that you're better off with canned foods for your store room.

Edited by LeoAtrox

First of all, I disagree with your timeline. I don't believe that the SHTF will happen in the next couple of years. I think you're underestimating the level of complacency in America. It has given folks a very high tolerance for unpleasentness. Everyone thinks that problems will just blow over with time, so nobody wants to do anything. (For an example, just look at how the Democrats in our federal government are treating the threat of terrorism.)

Canned foods are the way to go. They have the longest shelf life aside from dehydrated foods. The problem with dehydrated foods (although they are lightweight, compact, and last practically forever) is that they require water, or will otherwise suck the moisture from your blood when you eat them. In a real SHTF scenario, potable water will be a more precious resource than food. Best not to waste it.

Coming from the US military, I have developed a preference for MRE's. I can tell you from experience that their shelf life is actually about three times what is printed on the containers, although the quality of the meal does degrade over time. I can live off a single MRE per day--and have several times--and the extras (gum/candy, hot sauce, heating tab, and plastic bag) can be used for other meals and purposes. They are a great "utility" meal and a must-have for when you can't be at home ... Although I still contend that you're better off with canned foods for your store room.

Great Information YES, this is what was looking for... thanks LEO!!!

Nasty man! Hard to put something that resembles my own stool ( on a "lose" day ) in to my pie hole ! But I guess you do what you gotta do ( no pun intended) sorry, TMI and a bit graphic....

Because in into trading stocks, I also watch the furtures of commodities markets, and looks like things like coffee and grains, sugar and so on are being priced for shortages.... so Im going to make an effort to also buy rice, beans, and so forth... and water purification devices and or bottled water...

better safe than sorry!

I sold my house a year and a half ago, exactly one day before real estate tanked in the neighborhood (the next day three neighboring houses went up for sale and two of them were through relocation companies. Prices dropped a $100K overnight). I'm in an apartment now still looking for a house. Financially its a great position to be in but I have to confess about being nervous in the apartment. I'd rather have a house right now. Easier to defend and easier to stockpile supplies. I keep wondering how to cope with an extended power failure in an apartment. Not many auxiliary heating options and the thought of frozen, burst water pipes keeps me up at night. I've already had two water leaks from upstairs tenants during the summer.

Any suggestions for temporary apartment dwellers?