BENELLI SBE RIFLED SLUG BARREL

SKFOOTER

I AM WANTING TO PURCHASE A FULLY RIFLED SLUG BARREL FOR MY SUPER BLACK EAGLE. CAN ANYONE STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?? ALSO, I'D BE INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT THE FAVORITE BRAND AND LOAD OF SLUGS THAT YOU SBE OWNERS USE AND THEIR PERFORMANCE. THANKS.

[ 08-01-2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: SKFOOTER ]

SBE rifled barrels can be bought from Benelli dealers in the $400 range.

They can also be found on E-Bay.

I think Tucker can find you more retail sources.

My SBE loves Winchester Platinum Tips. Win Partition Golds worked well too, but the Plats shot the best.

mudhen - CA

First go to www.tarhunt.com and read about how and why shooting slugs is different than shooting a rifle. Pay particular attention to your front grip. I bought a SBEII slug gun in 2004 and recently purchased a smoothbore barrel for it. I do believe you need a different forend if go the way you’re going; at least in the SBEII ... I’m not sure about an SBE1

I settled on 2-3/4" Winchester Supreme Platinum Tips (sabot) after testing quite a few brands and loads. I had to qualify for a special hunt with about 200 guys shooting, so I saw a lot of different guns and ammunition. Many of them had great success with Lightfield slugs. They grouped well for me, but I didn’t like the long range ballistics. Federal slugs with the Barnes bullet took the tops spots in qualifying, (in “Browning A Bolt” - bolt action slug guns) but in my gun the groups weren’t great ... about 2-1/2" at 50 yards. (The Winchester’s shot 1-1/8" groups and qualified in 6th place) Remington copper solids grouped about like the Barnes bullet for me. I just picked up a box of Remington Ultra Bonded 385gr Corelokts that got good write ups. The gun shop spoke well of it, saying guys are having great luck with them, and the ballistics seem exceptional. I’m going to test them this summer. Hornady came out with an SST slug that looks great too, but none of the dealers around me have it in stock yet. I’ve shot Hornady ammo for years, including in my muzzle loader and I’m betting their SST slug is going to be good. Also, test at 50 yards like you’re supposed to, but when you find a slug you like, test at 75 and 100 yards to see how it behaves ... that’s important.

Bottom line is you have to try different ammunition in your gun. One thing you’ll learn if you do is ... different brands and loads behave radically different. There can be as much as a 4" difference in group size at 50 yards. I had some heavy and slow slugs that grouped decent at 50 yards, disappear off the target at 100 yards! So when you find a slug you like, buy some extras ... you don’t want to run out in the field because not much is going to behave like what you had.

Skfotter

The barrel is brand new, with about 5 slugs through it. I also have a Tasco world class scope atached if you are interested.

I thought It was a cool idea to buy it but I am a bow hunter when it comes to deer and it never came to use for me.