Break in New Montefeltro

rontree2

What shells should I run through first 3" mags?

Then after that say a couple of hundred.... what should I shoot skeet with 2 1/2 or 1 1/8 oz?

I'm getting a little confused when it comes to the shot oz. shot size and diam. I guess I would be ok to just shoot 3-dram, 1-1/8-oz for skeet?

What shells should I run through first 3" mags?

Then after that say a couple of hundred.... what should I shoot skeet with 2 1/2 or 1 1/8 oz?

I'm getting a little confused when it comes to the shot oz. shot size and diam. I guess I would be ok to just shoot 3-dram, 1-1/8-oz for skeet?

I don't think there's a need to shoot 3" mags. I believe the Monte is better about the break in thing. Got a couple friends who got 2 for Christmas and they just started shooting 3 dram 1 1/8 loads and no problems.

So, I would start with at least 3 dram (Approx. 1250 fps) and 1 1/8 load. You should be fine. If it jams, then I would go up.

I don't know if it's true (I don't have one), but I have always heard that the Monte has a slightly smoother bolt and cycles better from new than the M2 or SBE. Maybe someone else has the accurate information.

jed

I got the 3 dram but is the 1 1/8 load referring to the shot or oz shot? I believe the load. Do I need to worry about the OZ SHot?

Both. Let me see if I remember this:

1 1/8 is the amount (wgt) of shot (pellets) in the shell. For example if you have 1 1/8 oz load in 7 1/2 shot you have approx. 388 pellets (BBs) in the shell. If you have 1 oz load in 7 1/2 you'll have approx. 344 pellets in the shell.

The dram, or better referred to as dram equivalent, is probably best described as velocity in feet per second (fps).

Example: 3 1/4 dram = 1255 fps; 3 dram = 1200 fps.

With the Monte I don't think it will matter. You probably won't have a problem with any ammo. However, if you want to break-in with some heavier loads, a cheap decent break-in ammo, you might want to try the Remington HeavyDove load. They are 1255 (3 1/4 dram) and 1 1/8 oz. $5.99 a box at Academy Sports.

Good luck, jed