M4 for skeet/trap?

hoodfu

I recently bought an M4 because I have a love for all things tactical, which often means shorter barrel, 18" in this case. Some friends invited me to go skeet/trap shooting with them, for which I put the number 5 cylinder choke in since it's mentioned its best for skeet. I got 4 out of 25 on the first round, 13 out of 25 on the next. Of those 13, I probably only got 4 dead on so they exploded, only deflecting or grazing the rest.

For this particular barrel length on this type of moving target, probably 15-25 yards out (and further the longer I take to shoot), is the 5 cylinder really the best? Should I go with a 4 or even a 3? Thanks.

I recently bought an M4 because I have a love for all things tactical, which often means shorter barrel, 18" in this case. Some friends invited me to go skeet/trap shooting with them, for which I put the number 5 cylinder choke in since it's mentioned its best for skeet. I got 4 out of 25 on the first round, 13 out of 25 on the next. Of those 13, I probably only got 4 dead on so they exploded, only deflecting or grazing the rest.

For this particular barrel length on this type of moving target, probably 15-25 yards out (and further the longer I take to shoot), is the 5 cylinder really the best? Should I go with a 4 or even a 3? Thanks.

When I go skeeting I use the cylinder choke and while I have never gotten all 25 I do pretty well. So, I think you are using the right choke though you could go with Improved Cylinder (4) if you wanted without much trouble.

The M4 isn't meant to be a bird gun per se and I think the ghost ring sights (I'm assuming that is the type you have) are the real hinderance here. Your description of grazing the targets to me sounds like you are a little off with the sights. If you wanted to be semi-serious about this I would suggest that next time you are out see if you can pattern the gun with some target loads and your cylinder choke and make sure the shot is going where you think it is. The other thing I would do is practice swinging like you are shooting skeet and make sure that your sights stay aligned the same way all the way through the swing.

If nothing else the M4 still sounds like an awesome shotgun and its intended targets move a bit slower than those goofy birds :p

Ok that's good to hear. I was worried that 18" is too short, but it looks like it's still doable. I was considering throwing an EOTech on there since it has the 6 MOA ring and sight it in for 25 yards with slug rounds. It would take care of any speed and loss of iron site alignment issues. It would also complete my "inappropriate gun for the job" look.

Ok that's good to hear. I was worried that 18" is too short, but it looks like it's still doable. I was considering throwing an EOTech on there since it has the 6 MOA ring and sight it in for 25 yards with slug rounds. It would take care of any speed and loss of iron site alignment issues. It would also complete my "inappropriate gun for the job" look.

Yeah you could shoot skeet with a 4" barrel if you were desperate. The thing a longer barrel buys you is that the weight out in front smooths your swing a bit.

I don't know how long you have been reading the forum, but if you do a search for M4 optic you can find several threads on here with guys showing of the "glass" they put on their guns.

As for the "inappropriate gun look", messing with those "retirement community" guys as I call them, who think a gun can't be used for skeet unless its an over/under and has a wood stock, is sometimes half the fun of shooting at a range...especially if they get into a tizz if you start beating them with your "inappropriate gun" :p