which benelli for defense???

ianjbs

Ok, i'm looking for a semi-auto shotgun for home defense, and the m2 tactical and the m4 have caught my attention. What are the pros and cons of each model? How do they function with reduced-recoil loads, standard and magnum rounds? What is the deal with the 2 vs. 4 ports on the m-4? Can I get the military version(1014?) of the m-4? Should I consider any other models of benelli? Any information would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

I can tell you there are pro's and con's to semi-auto shotguns in general. Biggest con in my book is can a semi-auto fail to cycle a round? Yes, but not likely with a Benelli, esp. the m4. I've only heard good things about the m2 but it hasn't been around all that long. The thing about a pump is you know it will cycle. I highly doubt you'll ever find yourself in a shootout in your home, but better safe then sorry. If I ever did have to shoot it out in a home defense situation I'd prefer a pump shotgun. A wilson scattergun is what would be likely used. The gun model the scattergun is built off of has been in mass production since the 1950's. Gotta stand for something to be around that long. Search around, ask guys in gun shops, there are many options out there. Best case scenario is you go to a range that lets you rent, you could shoot before buying which is a HUGE plus.

EWWWW, AWWWW. NICE toys. B-u-t...... what Red Cobra failed to tell you ianjibs is he is either an LE officer(or something like that) or he has a class 3 permit, actually permits seeing the suppressor on the SOCOM MK23. I think that other firearm is a G36 with side folding stock, which is sweet, but can't tell if its select fire or not from the photo. (I don't see the 3rd position for the select fire..) Anywho nice setup's you've got there Red Cobra. Oh the main point of my post is, ianjibs, the barrel length of any shotgun you buy must have a minimun of 18" in length to be legal. You can obtain a 14" barrel legally by going through a class 3 dealer which will cost you a bunch of coin and take about 1 year till you get the 14" barrel. The BATF aren't known for there speedy paperwork skills. Way to much hassel for a barrel IMO, a machinegun is a different story however....

There are several brands out there but one of the best are the SURE-FIRE tactical lights. That is probably what is on Red Cobra's setup (looks to be). I have one and they are extremely bright and durable. They have a pressure switch located on the fore end (where you naturally place your hand) that allows you to toggle the light off or on via pressure switchs. You really don't have to make any adjustments from your typical shooting stance in order to operate the light. It is a very nice light. The downside is they ain't cheap. Some shotguns cost less then the this particular set-up. If it is indeed the light I think it is. It should fit your M2 just fine. Their website is surefire.com. You can look at all there goodies and find more info. for your m2.

M2 Tactical - My M1 Entry has a Surefire deticated forearm. Yes, it is not cheap, but quality never is.

• Fn_FAL :

• Yes, I am a Federal LEO.

• No, it is not a class 3 permit , it's a tax stamp that's required for class 3 weapons.

• One doen't need to be a LEO to legally own class 3 weapons.

• One just needs to reside in a state that allows these weapons. Unfortunately CA is not one of them.

• It's not a SOCOM Mark 23 pistol. It's an HK tactical in 40S&W with a B&T Implus II-A suppressor.

• It's not a G36 either. It's an SL8-1 semi-automatic rifle configured to look like an HK G36K assault rifle.
  • These are personally owned weapons, so I have to comply with ALL laws pertaining to civilian ownership.

• Yes, you are correct, M2 Tactical can only own a Benelli with an 18" barrel. Unfortunately, I failed to notice his state of residency.

I was thinking it looked a tad short to be a SOCOM but it seemed like the logcal choice with all the other hardware pictured. IMO tax stamp throws people for a loop. But you're absolutely right and we pay a FEDERAL tax on our class III weapons/accessories. You did some good mods to make that look like a G36kurtz. I think I pointed out that civilans could own class III weapons, just alot of time and money for a 14" shotgun barrel IMO. If you work for the BATF sorry about the dig about the paperwork taking FOREVER, just stating the facts, generally speaking of course. Stay safe and happy shooting.

Hey, not a problem FN_FAL. Your obviously are a shooter just like me. That's why we are on this board and others I presume. We enjoy Benelli products for their reliability and accuracy. The tax stamp requirement is really not that bad. It costs $200 for the stamp. And the paperwork usually takes 120 days at the most. The office relocated recently, and things got a bit delayed. The people who work at the NFA branch are nice and helpful when you talk to them. My M1 Entry cost $850.00 plus the $200 for the tax stamp. The item that really increased the over-all final price was the Surefire forearm. :eek:

I'm begining to think that LE's paperwork gets speeded up. Just pulling your leg. Maybe it depends on what item your selling. I work with a class III dealer. I sold a select fire MP5K navy trigger pack, drool, drool, (nib, my partner rarely even took it out of the box since the 86 ban) I wish I had that kind of control. Oh and it has the K grip, side folder, and a threaded barrel. I've since sold and delivered a Knights Armament suppressor to another customer.(sold suppressor after MP5) Well the guy I sold the MP5K to used to be my friend. I think its been 11 months and counting for us to get our paperwork back. The customer (no longer do I use the word friend) doesn't understand I have absolutely nothing to do with the time frame. Unfortunateley I'd say they take an average of 8 months for our company. Well I've treaded so far out of Benelli territory its not even funny. I guess we know what my passions are. Oh yeah can't forget the ladies.... Gotta have somone to clean all my firearms. JJ. Stay safe Red Cobroa and thanks for being a LEO.