Thinking about getting a new Vinci

HH

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new Vinci and wanted to get a question

addressed.

I have seen a couple of instances where people thought the gun shot high. indicating possibly 100% high. Has that been the experience of other Vinci owners ? The design llooks like the

recoil effect could be kicking the barrel up . Even though the recoil direction is in-line, it still is

looks like it could kick up slightly. I am planning on using the gun for turkey hunting and

with magnum loads, the recoil effect would be magnum as well,

First of all, anyone who claims this needs to tell you how they mounted the gun, much less aimed it. It is a bit lighter than my M1 Super 90 so I'm anticipating it will evidence a bit more muzzle jump, but I'm also thinking the Comfortech stock will mitigate most of that.

Secondly, the gun comes with adjusting shims. Drop can be adjusted. Did the person making the statement set the gun up for his eye and mount first? Gun fitting makes a heck of a difference, but even without it, the Vinci comes to my shoulder just fine.

When a statement like this is made, think about the shooter before thinking about a generic "problem" with the gun.

Mine's on order

Uncle Russ

If mounted properly, the Vinci will shoot dead on. A little work @ the pattern board will prove that! I love my Vinci. I have a black one with 26" barrel. It is very well balanced and jumps to my shoulder with ease. I can't say enough good things about this gun.

First of all, anyone who claims this needs to tell you how they mounted the gun, much less aimed it. It is a bit lighter than my M1 Super 90 so I'm anticipating it will evidence a bit more muzzle jump, but I'm also thinking the Comfortech stock will mitigate most of that.

Secondly, the gun comes with adjusting shims. Drop can be adjusted. Did the person making the statement set the gun up for his eye and mount first? Gun fitting makes a heck of a difference, but even without it, the Vinci comes to my shoulder just fine.

When a statement like this is made, think about the shooter before thinking about a generic "problem" with the gun.

Mine's on order

Uncle Russ

I have had a Vinci for around 6 months. Mine shot 10'' high at 20 yds. Not all shotguns shoot to POA, period! Otherwise there would be no need for a pattern board. They would all shoot where they were pointed. I shimmed mine to the max. It helped, but it still shot high. Put a Easy hit Hit sight on it (to raise the front sight), it now shoots where I point it. I have an SBE l that shot 12'' low and 10'' to the right. (This is my dedicated turkey gun. I put an Aimpoint on it so it is a moot point). I have an SBE ll that shot 16" high. That one went back to Benelli and C.S. fixed it and it came back dead nuts. The rest of my fleet shot perfect. Not all Benellis will do this. You need to pattern them all. Generally, you can remedy the problem through shimming and bead changing, but not always. I have been shooting for over 40 years. Rest assured, I know how to mount and aim a shotgun. Other than my POI issue, The Vinci is a great shotgun. Do not hesitate to buy one. I love mine. Good luck, and don't let the POI thing scare you. It will probably be fine. Let us know how it works out for you... Mike

Edited by hognutz

Proper gun fit is important primarily for wingshooting performance. How the gun is mounted , which aligns your eye as the back sight in relation to the barrel has a direct bearing on point of impact.

I probably should have specified, that I was considering this gun for turkey hunting. In this application, this gun is "aimed". The shot gun is aimed just like a rifle. Gun fit is of less importance because

of this.

Proper gun fit is important primarily for wingshooting performance. How the gun is mounted , which aligns your eye as the back sight in relation to the barrel has a direct bearing on point of impact.

I probably should have specified, that I was considering this gun for turkey hunting. In this application, this gun is "aimed". The shot gun is aimed just like a rifle. Gun fit is of less importance because

of this.

I agree 100% on the gun mounting. You have to be consistent in the process. Every time, the same way. That is why it is so important that the gun shoots where you are pointing. You can't have one gun shoot high and the rest shoot dead nuts. Using the gun for turkey, simplifies the problem because of the ability to put sights, of some sort on the gun. They are an option, and there is something magical about putting a red dot on a gobbler's noggin', and pulling the trigger. Can't wait.. Good luck as well...

If mounted properly, the Vinci will shoot dead on. A little work @ the pattern board will prove that!

Not necessarily.. Neither all men, nor all guns are created equal. There are a lot of factors that go into this assumption. If it happens to shoot where you point, great. That's the way it is supposed to work. If it does not, and this does happen in the real world, then the proper adjustments need to be made. I am glad for you that your gun shot to your POI. Mine did not. A few minor fixes and I was in business. I agree totally that a pattern board is needed, but a shotgun that shoots high is indeed a shotgun that shoots high. All my shotguns have to shoot to the same POI. You do not have enough time, after a flush, to figure out which gun you are carrying, and where you need to aim in order to kill the bird. Good luck with your Vinci. I love mine...

As for shotgun fitting, I was fitted by a professional at the Griffin and Howe shooting school many years ago, ordered my gun (a merkel SxS 20 ga) and still love shooting this gun. But, I learned

that surprise , surprise, my fitted measures were pretty standard stuff. Alot is made about gunfit,

but I think any halfway competent shooter could get used to a gun not precisely his own measurements. Benelli manufactures their guns with pretty standard drops, length of pulls ,etc.

I bet they would fit 90% most people.

Benelli is a high end production gun and I thouroughly enjoy my SBE1 that I have owned for many years and the gun that I primarily turkey hunt with. My SBE1 shoots dead on and I have never had any unusual problems wiht it . thats why I want to stay with benelli,

In cheaply made production guns, I think barrel alignment is problematic and you can get guns that shoot all over the place, no doubt barrel harmonics have something to do with it as well.

I need a new gun like a hole in the head, but I love the feel and balance the vinci. I am concerned

that magnum loads in such a light gun might be kicking the gun up to produce high patterns. Similar to the way a pistol kicks up..... you gotta aim at the feet to shoot him in the head.

I have an aversion to putting a scope device on my turkey gun, especially one that I admire because of the way it feels in my hands.

Edited by HH

The only way you will ever know if your particular Vinci shoots high, is to go buy one and shoot it with the loads you intend to hunt turkeys with. I know this is obvious, but I've told you that mine shoots high and BigAl33 told you that his didn't, after some pattern board work. So tonight, instead of saying I need a new gun like a hole in the head, say, I can't live without a new Vinci. It works for me. Good luck to you...

I bought a new Vinci the day after Chirstmas and took it dove hunting on New Year's Eve. I went through over 1/2 of a box before I could hit anything. I have to get it on a pattern board before I do any duck hunting in Feb. I also shoot a SBE2 and a Montefeltro. I love my Benellis, but I need a bit more work on the Vinci to get it dialed in.

I too was lucky enough to get a professional fitting when I bought my SXS at the Vintagers shoot in NY. The gun I ordered was cut to my measurements and they are most decidedly NOT "standard". I have had every shotgun since, bent or shimmed to my particular fit. And that's the beauty of the Benelli line - they come with shims for doing this. Unfortunately for me, my numbers were such that I had to have a special shim made. No matter - same result. Every one of my shotguns come to my shoulder exactly the same way, as long as my mount is correct. I often wonder how much time shooters spend at the pattern board, much less dry-practicing a mount in front of a mirror, before they complain about hot a gun shoots.

Like you, I've been doing this for over 40yrs and the fitting (and practice - another thing learned at some shooting schools) and the difference before-and-after the fitting and practice - and yes, the schools - has been nothing short of remarkable.

I'm looking forward to messing about with my Vinci when it comes, learning it, setting it up for me. BTW, my best buddy bought a sweet Montefeltro 20ga about a year ago and just before dove season I convinced him to use the shims that came with it. He was amazed.

Uncle Russ

Edited by Uncle Russ

UncleRuss, you are lucky to have a new Vinci on the way. I'll let you know if I decide to buy one. I'm sure I'll find it to be a great gun.

I still have my measure sheet still in the case of my 20 ga. from the Griffin and Howe shooting school;

Here are my measurements.

14 5/8 LOP to front trigger

1 1/4 drop at comb

2 1/4 drop at heel

1/4 cast off

Here are the standard measures for the VINCI

Length of Pull: 14-3/8"

Drop at Heel: 2"

Drop at Comb: 1-3/8"

Since drop at comb is really the most important with respect to eye alignment, this gun should shoot a tad lower than

I am used to . So, the last thing I should do is lower this measurement.

But, I really contend that this has little to do with how I can expect this gun to shoot when I aim it like a rifle for turkey hunting.

When I shoot it in a turkey hunting apllication, My eye will drift up 1/8" to the proper level as I take aim down the rib and squeeze off a shot.

If this were a wingshooting event, my natural and practiced mounting will influence where my eye is as I pull the trigger and therefore where my shot will hit.

My basic question is how should I expect this gun to shoot in relation to the rib.

I hope it shoots dead on.

Edited by HH

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new Vinci and wanted to get a question

addressed.

I have seen a couple of instances where people thought the gun shot high. indicating possibly 100% high. Has that been the experience of other Vinci owners ? The design llooks like the

recoil effect could be kicking the barrel up . Even though the recoil direction is in-line, it still is

looks like it could kick up slightly. I am planning on using the gun for turkey hunting and

with magnum loads, the recoil effect would be magnum as well,

mine took allitle adjusting but now its as dead on to the bead as you can get we patterned it dead on, we lasered it dead on the bead, its really smooth ive compared the muzzle jump with my friends ported trap perazzi and his perazzi has the same or more muzzle jump and were not talking much its not enough to effect anything and to me its the same with duck loads my 3in steel shells and my 2 and three quarter inch trap loads feel ditto to my arm and I would say the same muzzle jump not much at all, really a great gun definetly your gonna get allitle more jump with the sbe2 (my friend has one). the vinci does do the trick for hunting and sporting im a competitive trap shooter and people laugh when im shooting a field gun but when I beat people in their 60s who have been shooting for years they start liking my gun:rolleyes:. good luck with the decision.

UncleRuss, you are lucky to have a new Vinci on the way. I'll let you know if I decide to buy one. I'm sure I'll find it to be a great gun.

I still have my measure sheet still in the case of my 20 ga. from the Griffin and Howe shooting school;

Here are my measurements.

14 5/8 LOP to front trigger

1 1/4 drop at comb

2 1/4 drop at heel

1/4 cast off

Here are the standard measures for the VINCI

Length of Pull: 14-3/8"

Drop at Heel: 2"

Drop at Comb: 1-3/8"

Since drop at comb is really the most important with respect to eye alignment, this gun should shoot a tad lower than

I am used to . So, the last thing I should do is lower this measurement.

But, I really contend that this has little to do with how I can expect this gun to shoot when I aim it like a rifle for turkey hunting.

When I shoot it in a turkey hunting apllication, My eye will drift up 1/8" to the proper level as I take aim down the rib and squeeze off a shot.

If this were a wingshooting event, my natural and practiced mounting will influence where my eye is as I pull the trigger and therefore where my shot will hit.

My basic question is how should I expect this gun to shoot in relation to the rib.

I hope it shoots dead on.

This is beginning to look like a classic case of ''Paralysis by Analysis''.

"This is beginning to look like a classic case of ''Paralysis by Analysis''."

Yep, you right about that., I guess I'm biding my time at least til after the SHOT show.

My writing up all that gunfit info is really to make my point that gunfit doesn't really

have any thing to do with turkey hunting ,. For instinctive shooting , where you dont have time to

adjust your eye to the alignment of the barrel , it makes a lot of difference ( although, a competent

shot could adapt to a poorly fit gun )

I think most of the POI problems have to do with the magnum forces of recoil from shooting 3" or 3 1/2"

shells from a static position . Since the VINCI is so light, I'm hoping that 3" magnum shells aren't too much.

hognutz,

I know you had some issue with your pattern shooting high, have you tried to

shoot not so powerful shells at your pattern board to see if you get the same high POI?

I patterned my Vinci with 1 1/8 oz. trap loads. I really don't use the gun for turkey or waterfowl. I hunt ruffed grouse with it. I also do a lot of trap shooting at my home with it. I use an SBE l for turkey, and an SBE ll for pheasant, partridge (grouse), and whatever else that gets in the way. Good idea to wait until the shotshow. You never know what may pop up there. Good luck with you decision. Let me know what you end up with and how it shoots for you. Mike :)

"This is beginning to look like a classic case of ''Paralysis by Analysis''."

Yep, you right about that., I guess I'm biding my time at least til after the SHOT show.

My writing up all that gunfit info is really to make my point that gunfit doesn't really

have any thing to do with turkey hunting ,. For instinctive shooting , where you dont have time to

adjust your eye to the alignment of the barrel , it makes a lot of difference ( although, a competent

shot could adapt to a poorly fit gun )

I think most of the POI problems have to do with the magnum forces of recoil from shooting 3" or 3 1/2"

shells from a static position . Since the VINCI is so light, I'm hoping that 3" magnum shells aren't too much.

hognutz,

I know you had some issue with your pattern shooting high, have you tried to

shoot not so powerful shells at your pattern board to see if you get the same high POI?

I have been shooting 3in 3s in black cloud for ducks and the recoil is really light i can stay on the bird fine for a second shot if needed and when im hunting I stand in almost a skeet shooting position so with most guns you can get quite a kick from that way and i havent had a load hurt me yet i can shoot competitions all day with it of course those are light loads and still after a couple hundred rounds my arm is fine so recoil shouldn't be an issue i did hold it allitle off when I first got it and hit my nose a few times:rolleyes: but that wasnt the guns fault.

assuming I dont lose all my cabbage this weekend with the playoff games (nfl), and nothing new comes out the shot show, I'll be the proud owner of a new vinci next Tuesday.

thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Hi HH, in reply to your 1st post.

I got my Vinci on 1/2/2010. I've done two POI patterning sessions.

My Vinci has a "Point of Impact" (POI) 9" inches high at a 40 yard target using #2 steel waterfowl loads. Pellet counting calculated to a pattern of 75/25.

I shot from a stable platform. Used both the Benelli IM choke and a Trulock PH IM choke - results were the same with both. The "Point of Aim" (POA) for my POI testing and calculations was the center of the bead with the vent-rib straight and level, front and rear edges lined up, mid-bead dead center of muzzle bead.

As most know, "Point of Impact" (POI) pattering determine where the gun shoots and no amount of shimming or gun-fitting can change the gun's POI. Where shimming and gun-fitting come into play is to change the shooter's "Point of Aim" (POA). A shooter's POA can be adjusted so that the relationship between POI and POA is where the shooter desires.

I have sucessfully compensated for my Vinic's high POI with a combination of shimming (C-shim) and with a HiViz sight. The bead on the magnetically attached HiViz sight is much higher (relatively speaking) than the factory muzzle bead. Both of these adjustments raise my POA so that this new POA is almost exactly pointing at the guns POI. My pattern with these adjustments is about 55/45, which is acceptable.

Other than my Vinci having a high POI, it excels in all other factors that I consider important to me as a waterfowl hunter.

How much does my Vinci's high POI matter? (even though I compensated for it). I must admit I'm a bit disappointed having to have a $10 piece of plastic magnetically stuck to the end of my $1400 gun to make it usable for my hunting needs. If I do keep the Vinci long-term I'll get a permanent replacement bead (the magnetic will move on you if you hit tules and such).

Keep in mind that this is an issue with my particular Vinci and my specific preferences. If my Vinci shot an acceptable POI, I would be totally satisfied.

I enjoy my Vinci, and will finish out the season with it. After the season I'll decide if I'm going to keep it. I'll speak with customer service, but I've heard their response is going to be that Benelli's are "designed to shoot high", and my 75/25 POI is probably within their specifications (unfortunately its not within mine).

Edited by CA.H20Fowl.Hunter