SBE Question

blind squirrel

Hi all,

First post, although i have read many posts in the past.

Does anyone have any tricks on how to load shells quietly from a deer stand? Specifically i mean when closing the action. If this is done too gently the first shot will not fire? i have never experimented with this, just wondering if anyone had any tips. The main reason i am asking, is i am considering purchasing a slug barrel for my SBE. Currently i use a Remington 870 with a Hastings cantilever barrel, which i can load pretty quietly while on stand. i think the SBE with a slug barrel would be an upgrade, but the amount of noise is a concern.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I slide the bolt forward slowly until it rest on lugs. I then wiggle the bolt handle(up and down) and the action will lock. You can see the lug rotate and you feel the action go forward. The ejector can also be watched. I have done this hundreds of times and have never had a problem.

It comes tapped on the reciever, no cantilever mount. It takes a standard scope base. That is the nice part, a good scope mount that goes with the barrel assembly. The fast twist rate makes it a first class slug gun. The bad part is they put rifle sights on the barrel and they can get in the way. The old barrels made by E R Shaw did not have rifle sights but they are only avail. used and there are very few for sale.

That's great advice! Nothing like climbing a tree with a loaded shotgun to get the blood pumping (in all directions).

UM, A-I do believe shotguns have safeties, and B- one made all that noise walking to their stand climbing into the stand, and now they worry about racking the first round??:rolleyes: not to mention, you dont walk to your stand with a loaded gun? what if you happen upon a good shot before arriving at said stand??;)

A large number of deer hunters walk into their stands before legal shooting light.

The smart ones understand that gun safeties are mechanical devices and aren't necessarily designed to withstand the force of a 15 foot drop. So they don't hoist a loaded gun or climb with a loaded gun.

The dumb ones can be found here.

If you will give me some idea of where you live, I'd be happy to provide you with the dates and times of hunter safety classes near you.

As for the making of noise walking in to the stand, that's what rakes are for.

Have you ever been deer hunting?

ive been plenty of times. and most guys around here dont babysit the trail to their stand. not to mention their stand is a ways from their trucks. so yes, they make noise enough for deer to hear getting to their stands. so once again, if one made noise getting into position in their stand, racking the first round aint gonna scare the deer any worse. ive done it plenty of times, settled in, got into stealth mode and POW, deer meat for dinner!!;)

wow i thought this thread was dead at 3 posts, then it got kind of lively. Pretty cool. For morning hunts i do get to my stand well before legal shooting light. For afternoon hunts i usually walk in loaded, but hoisting it up to the stand makes me nervous even when it is pointed barrel down. i will have to practice at the range to make sure the gun fires after i experiment with loading it quietly.

So most guys are pleased with their SBE slug barrels?

If these barrels come with iron sights, does anyone prefer shoot-through scope mounts? i was told by a gunsmith that they tend to put your head too high for a comfortable mount, but i know some guys like 'em.