best setup for M4?!

xamoel

hey guys.

i'm getting my brand new M4 delivered tomorrow.

it will be 18", full lenght mag tube, collapsible stock (i'm from europe :D)

sidearmor complete package is already ordered, as well as the trulock tactical choke.

only a few things left to do:

-what sling AND sling mount do you recommend?

-should i get an aftermarket follower and mag spring?

optics and light has yet to be decided, for now just those two questions.

kind regards

Edited by xamoel

the sidearmor adds 16 oz i think.

it is much more solid than the mesa tactical saddle, and gives you a great option to add a weaponlight.

and if you think 4 shells are not enough, don't worry, mister costa is already creating a second shell holder that mounts on the existing sidearmor setup, so you will have a total of 8 shots if you want.

i got the OEM full length tube, it's legal in europe.

A padded VTAC from Vickers would be an excellent sling. Using the QD ones would be a problem currently until the Mesa Urbino stock is released.

The standard strap one would fit easily though.

If you got the CarrierComp magtube, you'll get a replacement magazine spring with it.

The follower isn't absolutely needed, but the upgrade is nice. It's more for 922 compliance which doesn't affect you.

I use the 5.11 tactical VTAC 2 point padded sling. If you are going to wear a vest or any kind of plate carrier system then you could go with the non padded version and save your self $10.

I like the ability to adjust the length by pulling the free-running end. This allows you to transition from strong side to support side and back, so that you can easily switch to a side arm or other weapons.

Like others said the QD ones would be a problem until the mesa tactical urbino stock comes out, but you have the collapsible stock anyway.

What kind of light setup are you going with?

i just searched the web, and, as posted in another thread, found that:

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=60

if you scroll down a bit, you see the Push-button Sling Swivel Mount especially made for the telescoping stock.

has anyone tried that? might be the only solution for now....

i'm not sure yet which light to use, probably a light/laser combo. i know, not everyone is a fan of lasers, but its tacticool ;)

I followed Duggans advice to the T when I first got mine, and am glad that I did. A couple small mod's you can do yourself are:

Larger Charging Handle (I got GG&G Because the Titanium ones from Brownelles were out of business)

Enlarged Bolt Release Pad GG&G: (this is great)

Kips Titanium Magazine Tube : This also comes with a better spring.

I also put the Surefire M80 Quad Rail grip on, and a Brownelles Mag Follower.

Regarding Slings, I like the Urban Sentry 2 point sling, but thats my personal preference. You can watch this video on youtube to see the different configs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvCkFnfUCqI

enjoy your weapon!

let me show you what i plan to do:

-first of all, the sidearmor rail system. already ordered, gonna take a while.

-mepro night sights. are there any better available? with white inserts around the tritium maybe?

-charging handle from Kip, as soon as he offers it.

-GG&G release button, if i feel the need.

-trulock tactical choke, already ordered.

-a laser/light combo, not sure which one, additional IR would be nice.

-sling with QD, i'm open for opinions.

-either aimpoint t-1, compM4s, or an eotech X***-0 or 553A65BLK.

i know its pretty tacticool, but thats intended :D

let me hear your thoughts!

I would highly reccomend the Bolt Release from GG&G. It really does make a huge difference and you will never look back. Havent seen anyone on here that would disagree.

My aimpoint T-1 arrives today, I will post any complaints I have if there are any. The other guys would probably have better Guidance with Slings. I just dont like strapping them into the buttstock, which is why I went with the Urban Sentry.

l...

-mepro night sights. are there any better available? with white inserts around the tritium maybe?...

These guys used to have a listing. You had to send in your existing non-tritium sight and they would machine it for tritium and the white ring. I have not tried them but I am tempted.

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

how do you get this [brownell's] discount? automatically when you create an account?

Yeah, I'm curious about the details behind that too. I'm not interested in taking out a Brownell's credit card or something just to get a $30 discount but if it's something easy, I'd probably be willing to do it. I order from Brownell's on a semi-regular basis. Color me curious.