HELP !!!! SBE 1 is broke, need some help fixing it

Riss

It is not totally broke, it will fire 1 shot and the bolt will not go all of the way back to release the carrier and load the second shell. I am using the same loads and otherwise have not changed a thing before it started to short cycle. I had the bolt and trigger group apart and cleaned them well. I also did not see anything wrong inside the receiver. The only thing that I did not tear apart is the recoil spring tube. Since the gun has only 1000 rounds through it I did not see it as necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong with it ? Any assistance would be appreciated.

with the gun put together,empty of course,work that bolt back and forth several times,see and feel for something thats impeding the manual operation ,, something may feel loose like a busted spring,,pull the bolt all the way back and let it fly foward,,,it should slam home ,,if it doesn't the check your recoil tube,,don't know how far you tore down your trigger group,so lets say out of the gun only,,examine it carefully for something busted ,,loose,,woreout etc,,keep us posted.

Edited by M1014

I had the trigger group torn down. I did not take the trigger out, but did take out the hammer, spring and the elevator and carrier release. I have cycled it many times and cannot feel anything that would seem out of place. I checked the receiver and trigger group for any faults. Ran it all through my fingers and looked at it with a bore light and it all looks well. I also depressed the recoil spring and it feels smooth with no noticeable dirt inside the spring tube.

The bolt stays back, but does not go back far enough to allow the next shell to be ejected from the magazine tube. When it first started, the bolt was not even going back far enough to eject the fired case. Cleaned and tore down the bolt and trigger group, it is better that the bolt goes back, but still not far enough to load the second shell. The recoil spring seems to be clean enough. It does cycle easily with a pencil and does not appear to have any dirt in it. If the recoil spring tube needs to come apart I will need some quick directions on how to take it apart.

Tear it back down to remove the trigger group.

With that out, slide the bolt back, compressing the recoil spring, to see if it's allowing the bolt to go all the way back.

If it is, then you've got something wrong in the trigger group assembly.

If not, then you've got a broken recoil spring perhaps.

Brownells has a parts diagram, but the quality is a bit low.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=570/schematicsdetail/Super_Black_Eagle

The bolt goes all the way back and will eject the top shell if it did not eject, but it usually stops 1/4" short and does not let the 2nd shell eject onto the elevator. With a little pull of the bolt handle the 2nd shell drops down and then loads when the bolt handle is released. I checked everything inside the receiver and the receiver rails too and there are no burrs, no dings, no excesive wear. I will try to find the directions and tear out the recoil spring next. If that does not do it I do not know where to turn to next.

First, are you using light 2 3/4" loads? Have you tried cycling the 3 shells by hand? Because if your using heavy loads and the shells will cycle by hand, it is most likely in your recoil spring tube.The more gummed up your tube is, or dry, or cold, the heavier the shell it will take to make it cycle. I would take the bolt out of it and take your butt pad off,depress the recoil spring plunger with a pencil, and shoot some good cleaner down the tube a dozen times working the pencil in and out ( working the spring good).A 20 gauge felt swab on a clening rod will work good. There is a hole at the back end of the recoil tube that the dirt and cleaner will run out, so keep your gun straight up and down with the barrel end in the air and the butt on the floor. When the cleaner starts coming out of the stock clean (clear)looking, then oil lightly (the inside of the tube) good with clp breakfree. That ought to make your gun open and slam shut just like a new one. With only a 1000 rounds through it , it's not even broke in good, It's probably not a broken recoil spring unless you got a defective spring ( freak deal). Keep us updated.

first of all I want to thank tucker 301 for the visual reference,,after further reading here,,gonna lean on more lube in the proper places,,rim of the head bolt,,rails,,recoil spring,,the locking head pin,,trigger group,,ya know,,just a drop or two on each area,,maybe the mag tube also,,,

I had the same problem with mine. Sounds like your ejector is broken. It is located inside the flange of the barrel that slides into the receiver. Depending on the year model you have, there are 2 different ejectors. The old style is called the "hockey stick" ejector. Check with any gunsmith that works on Benellis and he can confirm your problem. But Benelli should replace the part for free. They did mine.

Edited by SKFOOTER

I had the same problem with mine. Sounds like your ejector is broken. It is located inside the flange of the barrel that slides into the receiver. Depending on the year model you have, there are 2 different ejectors. The old style is called the "hockey stick" ejector. Check with any gunsmith that works on Benellis and he can confirm your problem. But Benelli should replace the part for free. They did mine.

so true,,sometimes overlooked,,,mudhen says that around 97 or 98 is when they got rid of the dreaded hockey stick and went to a stamped steel enclosure.