M3 Questions?

M3novice

Hi all. I am new and think I may have posted my questions yesturday in the wrong spot. My tag is M3novice for good reason. I bought a brand new looking M3 a few months back. It is really difficult to put rounds into the magazine. The part that holds them in is the stiff part. It will jack a shell into the chamber no problem but it can be painful to just load the magazine. :confused: She shoots well and I did really well with skeet.

Another question would be if tritium parts for my ghost ring sites are available. Next would be a receiver mounted shell carrier. Does anybody make one for the M3? Thanks for all of your help.

Novice.

Hi all. I am new and think I may have posted my questions yesturday in the wrong spot. My tag is M3novice for good reason. I bought a brand new looking M3 a few months back. It is really difficult to put rounds into the magazine. The part that holds them in is the stiff part. It will jack a shell into the chamber no problem but it can be painful to just load the magazine. :confused: She shoots well and I did really well with skeet.

Another question would be if tritium parts for my ghost ring sites are available. Next would be a receiver mounted shell carrier. Does anybody make one for the M3? Thanks for all of your help.

Novice.

Hi M3 and Welcome to the forum,

It should not be "really difficult to get rounds into the mag. I'm guessing that you bought it used. Perhaps the previous owner replaced the tube spring with an improper one? Does it have an extension that has been added?

I'm not aware of a receiver side shell carrier for the M3 but Specter Gear makes a nice web buttstock carrier. I use one on my M4 as my rear sling attachment point

http://www.spectergear.com/shotgun_bsh.htm

Meprolight Tritium Benelli sights are excellent. Here's a link

http://www.officerstore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_6182_meprolight_benelli_shotgun_night_sight_ghost_ring_set/

You could also purchase this:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=741300&CatID=10312&mySort=1

And send it to these guys to install a Trijicon insert

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/

(I'd go with the Meprolights)

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Edited by Hookster

Hookster-thanks for the reply. It is not the spring that makes it difficult. It is the flat metal part that curves out in front of the magazine that holds the shell in the mag. Sorry I don't know the name of it. It does have a one round extension. Could the spring affect the catch? It does feed very reliably. Thanks for the help.

Novice.

Hookster-thanks for the reply. It is not the spring that makes it difficult. It is the flat metal part that curves out in front of the magazine that holds the shell in the mag. Sorry I don't know the name of it. It does have a one round extension. Could the spring affect the catch? It does feed very reliably. Thanks for the help.

Novice.

Hey M3

Quick note: I edited my response above and added some links

I believe your talking about the carrier latch. Do you mean the lever that includes the bolt release button?

It should allow the shells to pass into the mag tube without too much problem. I'd inspect closely for possible debris/damage/rust? does the bolt release button function well? I have an M1 and M4 so I might not know everything going on with M3s. If it appears damaged a new one can be purchased here

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=10312

Later,

Novice.

The shells should feed into the magazine easily.

The Mesa Tactical receiver mounted shell carrier that they have for the M-1/M-2 will fit the M-3 if you have the receiver drilled and tapped. It costs about $25.00 if you can't do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Yes Hookster, it is attached to the bolt release. When you push the bolt release botton this part moves toward the center of the receiver. It it just stiff and needs to be broken in? Like I said the gun looks brand new and has no signs of wear or corrosion. I just unloaded it and loaded it again an the shells have to push past the curved section of the above described part. Are there upgrade parts available?

Thanks for you help.

Novice

Yes Hookster, it is attached to the bolt release. When you push the bolt release botton this part moves toward the center of the receiver. It it just stiff and needs to be broken in? Like I said the gun looks brand new and has no signs of wear or corrosion. I just unloaded it and loaded it again an the shells have to push past the curved section of the above described part. Are there upgrade parts available?

Thanks for you help.

Novice

Hmmmmm......Sorry M3novice, I don't have any explanation of why it's difficult to load rounds but I'd just give it some lube and run some rounds through it and see if that improves things. Keep us posted

Cksh8me, Yes it has a 1 round mag extention but the spring pressure in the mag is good. Not too much to make things hard. I think the catch spring may be the problem. It might be too stiff. Problem here is no one knows anything about a M3. When I get some time I need to work it out and I will post what I found out. I will look at Brownells too. Thanks.

OK all. I have some new information. I should have looked at my buddy's M3 a little better. After a good inspection, his spring on his mag catch has the same tension as mine. The difference is my catch has a bigger rake to it on the end that holds the shell in the mag. No amount of loading, unloading or shooting will "break it in". My buddy's M3 is an older H&K build. I could not tell what year his is. It looks like I will need a different catch. So I will start looking. Thanks for the help and any suggestions as to look would be cool.

Novice.

OK all. I have some new information. I should have looked at my buddy's M3 a little better. After a good inspection, his spring on his mag catch has the same tension as mine. The difference is my catch has a bigger rake to it on the end that holds the shell in the mag. No amount of loading, unloading or shooting will "break it in". My buddy's M3 is an older H&K build. I could not tell what year his is. It looks like I will need a different catch. So I will start looking. Thanks for the help and any suggestions as to look would be cool.

Novice.

See if you can remove the part, and PM me some pics of it, several views. It sounds like it may have been replaced with the wrong part at some time. I have a spare, left over from when I replaced mine with a different model.

Hookster- I looked all over their website. I used the search engine and could not find that part. Thanks. The part on Brownells looks like the carrier latch in my friends older H&K build M3. Mine is smooth across the lip and even has a small lip that curves around the back side. Genello might be right in that it is the wrong carrier latch or a bad design on a newer model? I will try to break this thing down and take a pic of it.

Thanks again.

Novice

• 4 weeks later...

Geneleo and Hookster,

Well, I finally got around to ordering the older style carrier latch from Brownells. It got here pretty quick and I dropped it in. PROBLEM SOLVED! I wonder why Benelli went to a new part. Just like the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". :confused: Thanks for all your help. Does any one think someone would want to buy a 1 round mag extension for a super 90 M3 for around $50 bucks?

Thanks again.

Novice

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have some pics but I can not figure out how to post them on this web site. True there is an attachment icon on both the quick reply and regular reply options. However, using the icon I only get a chart of different types of attachments. Does my status as a junior member deny me the ability to post a pic. BTW I post pics on different web sites and emails for work all the time. Advise?

Thanks,

Novice

OK, I have some pics but I can not figure out how to post them on this web site. True there is an attachment icon on both the quick reply and regular reply options. However, using the icon I only get a chart of different types of attachments. Does my status as a junior member deny me the ability to post a pic. BTW I post pics on different web sites and emails for work all the time. Advise?

Thanks,

Novice

Hi Novice,

Click the 5th icon from the right on the bottom row above reply window (yellow square w/mountain) then enter address of picture (from Photobucket or similar site where you've uploaded the pic) then just hit ok and it will be there in your post.

Looking forward to the pics!

Later,