Hi All

MPrice

Several things that this site could help me with; I have had my Super Black Eagle for many years now but I have hardly used it because my 11-87 fit me so good that I could shoot it so much better. At the present time my 11-87 extractor is broken so I have to use my SBE. So I changed shims from the A that has always been to C shims. It feels much better although I would like to try D shims. After lots of wasted time on the computer and wasted phone calls, I have given up. Another point is that dreadful recoil pad that "sticks" when you shoulder it. Another, Is the fact that it will not shoot 3 1/2's without jamming every time. Also while unloading, it has become apparent that the feed guide is very weak and doesn't want to push the sheel up into the path of the bolt. While I have always been disgusted with this high priced, overrated gun, maybe someone here can point out my problem and change my mind.

Edited by MPrice

13 Jan. 10

I can help you with the recoil pad. Buy a roll of electrical tape, the shiny plastic variety, and wrap the sides of the recoil pad. I've done with the the recoil pads on my Franchi guns and it eliminates the hang up.

As to the gun not feeding, the only advice I can give is the same advice that ever one else has been giving on the forum. Clean it to include the piston in the butt that returns the bolt to battery. Clean the inside of the magazine tube and make sure the magazine spring isn't rusted.

If all else fails, call Benelli service.

DumbDuck

Thanks, I'll try that, one of the archives said try armoral. I just cleaned the gun, not the extent that you said and the bolt and feed seem to be much better. I am searching archives now to see where to lubricate. Considering it had not been used much and it should not have been dirty, it seems much better. Who knows, Maybe with the new shim change, a slicker recoil pad and a good cleaning, I just might like it. First light tomorrow should be a good test.

I am new so this is probably old news. The B,BE are shipped with so much protective grease they need to be broken down and totally cleaned and relubed before they are used or they gum up right away. Since I cleaned mine I have shot over 1000 3's and 3.5's through it and have not hung one shell. Also for some reason they don't shoot the cheaper shells like "Fast Steel" or "Kents" very well. I was told, so this is second hand, that the brass on some cheaper shells is not made to real close tolerances so they have a tendency to not cycle as fast and to hang.

I had noticed that the shells would hang as they were being pushed from the magazine tube. As I inspected it, while cleaning for a second time today[which was the first time ever, did not think it needed it since it had only been shot 50 times in 12 years] I wondered why the plunger on the spring was coming up short. I found my manual, looked at the drawings and guess what? the plunger was backwards. No wonder I had so many problems. I bought this gun new, must have came that way. Works good now. All I need is a good recoil pad, hopefully slightly shorter and slick.[tape trick works, just don't look to good.] And I would like to find the "D" shims.

Briley does Benelli triggers. Your LB's will be about the same but they can take 90% of the creep out of it. Cost about a $100 bucks and you send them your trigger. Then again it is a hunting gun and not a Perazzi with a 3lb no creep trigger. They put that kind of lb's in the stock triggers mainly for safety so they don't just go off when you bump them or whatever. 5lbs for a Nelli is pretty dang good considering that from the factory they can go all the way up to 7.5lbs.

Recoil pad. Most people including their sponsored shooters will take sand paper to their stock pads because they complain of them being too slick. Sticky isn't something you see on the older ones. Tape it, try different mounting technique, throw the pad away or sell it like Tucker said.

I use Gunslick on my Nelli's or the oil that comes with the gun. Gunslicks graphite grease is awesome. Clean the nasty stock grease that comes on it, lube it where any metal rides on metal and shoot it.

But as like with what Tucker said, it sounds like you are trying to find every reason not to like it.

If it has a comfortech stock on it and the A shim and you still want it higher then I would suggest putting the higher comb insert on it. The medium one will do the trick or get crazy and go with the super high one!

Good luck!

Thanks for your response, Actually I'm trying to get it "right",so that I should keep it.With this much information on a site like this, I hope to get it just right.I have the SBE 1and wish to lower my stock,just to see which way shoots best.I have considered this gun overated, but no wonder, hopefully it will with a few adjustments become my favorite.