SABOT SLUGS

STEELER FAN

I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT THE DIFFERENT TYPES AND BRANDS OF SABOT SLUGS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW , IS THERE 1 BRAND/ TYPE THAT WOULD BE BEST TO USE IN MY SBE WITH THE RIFLED BARREL?? IS THERE ANY TYPE/ BRAND THAT I SHOULDN'T USE OR THAT WILL DAMAGE THE RIFLED BARREL?? I 'VE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT WINCHESTER SUPREME PARTITION GOLD,& THE SUPREME PLATINUM TIPS. I HAVE ALSO HEARD ABOUT THE REMINGTON PREMIER CORE-LOKT ULTA, AND REMS. PREMIER COPPER SOLID. NEED INFO FROM THE MORE EXPERIENCED VETERANS. HAVE HEARD TAILS OF DAMAGED BARRELS,AND DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN TO ME THROUGH INEXPERIANCE. ALSO NEED TO SIGHT IN MY SLUG BARREL, IS IT RECOMMENDED TO USE ALITTLE CHEAPER AMMO TO GET IT CLOSE, THEN FINISH WITH THE GOOD AMMO,THAT I'LL BE USING TO HUNT WITH??? I HAVE JUST 1 MORE QUESTION, IF I GET MY SLUG BARREL ALL SIGHTED IN THE SPRING, THEN CHANGE BACK TO THE SHOT BARREL, WILL THE GUN STILL BE DEAD ON ,OR WILL I HAVE TO FINE TUNE IT WHEN PUT BACK ON BEFORE THE SEASON???? SORRY SO LONG, ANY INFORMATION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I think about the only way you will damage your slug barrel would be by pounding in railroad spikes with it. Shooting lead slugs without a sabot jacket might make it harder to clean, but won't hurt it. Sabot slugs are encased in a plastic jacket and will, after time, leave a plastic deposit on the barrel easily removed with a good bore cleaner.

Lightfield Hybrids shot the best out of mine, but only with zero wind so I don't hunt with them. Any wind at all and they were all over the paper. Platinum Tips are very accurate, much less susceptible to wind drift, and expand very well while maintaining most of their weight. If you do a search I posted pics of one I pulled from a deer last year. Partition Golds are a close second to Platinums. They will get you closer to 200 yards but usually don't expand as well as the Platinums. All I've had them do is zip right through leaving a 50 cal hole on both sides. Many of us here use Platinum Tips.

I couldn't hit the paper at 50 yards with the Core-Lokts, but my Dad's Ithaca 37 puts them through the same hole. Copper Solids were marginal in mine and awesome in his as well. Every gun is different. You may be able to save money by finding a cheap slug of the same weight and velocity to get your barrel close, then zero it in with your chosen hunting slug. Your barrel will hold its zero as long as the sights or scope aren't knocked around and moved.

My experience:

Winchester Platinum Tips have shot best out of my SBEII ... and pound deer. I keep coming back to them every time I try something new.

Winchester Partition Gold seem to shoot well, but they're built for deep penetration and I don't want them flying through deer unexpanded and penetrating the dirt behind the deer.

Guy are finding the Federal Barnes bullet very accurate. My SBE didn't shoot them especially well, but some of the best shotgun groups I've seen have been shot with Barnes bullets.

A lot of guys like Lightfields and they shoot very well, but I don't like big fat lead slugs. Reminds me of a salt water sinker being shot out of my gun.

Remington "Copper Solids" shot poorly out of my gun ... and a few friends of mine's guns too.

Remington Ultra Coreloc looks like a great slug, I will try them this summer.

Hornady SST's didn't shoot particularly well out of my SBE, (I was disappointed because I use Hornady bullets in my rifles with great results) but some guys are getting good results with them.

Bottom line is ... every brand, and every load shoots radically differently. One brand to another can be 2" groups to 8" groups. One load to another (say 2-3/4" @ 1-1/4 oz and 1400fps vs 3" @ 385gr and 2000fps) can mean hitting 2" groups at 100 yards vs NOT EVEN HITTING THE TARGET BACKSTOP!!!

PS - Steeler Fan ... turn off your CAPS ... capital letter mean you're shouting ... in cyber land. LOL

When you pick a slug, stick with it and get enough that you don't run out in the field. You can't borrow a few of your buddies and even have a clue where it's going to hit.

I agree with all of Butch-M's post.

All of my Benelli rifled slug guns have preferred the Win Plats. The Plats run at 1700 fps and seem to be a bit more controllable than the rather hot Golds running at 1900/2000.

The Plat is a great muzzleloader bullet as well.

mudhen - CA

• 2 weeks later...

You have to test them and see which your 870 likes best. Everybody may LOVE Win. Platnum Tips, but your particular gun may hate them. IF ... it's a rifled barrel ... I'd try Win Plats, Federal Barnes Expanders, Remington Ultra Coreloks, and Lightfilelds. See which groups best for you. Go to www.tarhunt.com and rad everything you can about shooting slugs.