Unloading

Quetico

I own an SBEI 12 gauge and a Monte 20 gauge and have difficulty unloading shells from the magazine on both. I have to press the cartridge retaining lever so hard that my finger hurts, and even then I have to futz with it to get it to release shells in the mag. Does anyone else have trouble with this? The manuals show a guy simply reaching in the carrier cavity and pushing with his index finger on the lever. I have to pinch the lever against the receiver using my index finger and thumb and it still doesn't want to release the shell. What am I missing here?

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought maybe there was a trick to it, or that I was doing something wrong. I think I'll resort to cycling the live shells out also. You'd think Benelli could design the lever mechanism a little better, or at least let you know in the manual that the lever method is a little "rough".