ported or unported

redrumtc

I know that but with a ported you mite lose distance am I right or wroung?

No

Porting for a shotgun choke has little to no effect on anything, except noise. Porting can reduce recoil in rifles, but is limited to about 2% recoil reduction in shotguns.

The only way to know is to get a choke and pattern your gun.

I know that but with a ported you mite lose distance am I right or wroung?

As far as distance goes, turkey loads will go out past 150 yards. That means nothing. Having the most dense pattern you can get is what your looking for. 40 yards is the magic number. Why? most turkeys are shot at that distance or less.

yeah i get what your saying when your talking about more pellets. but i think that range suffers a bit past 35 yards. I think im going to try 5's.. but if that pattern blows then ill use 6's

Don't be afraid of #6's beyond 35 yards. I have shot turkeys over 50 yds. with them. The important thing is to have a choke that will keep a tight enough pattern to allow you to shoot that far. They will penetrate. There is always concern about the energy loss on a smaller pellet on a long shot, but my theory is that it takes less energy to pound a small nail than a large one. Also, there are over 100 more pellets on a 2 oz. load of #6's over the #5's. That is huge.

Edited by hognutz

oh that is def huge. I just dont know about the knockdown power beyond 35 yards. Im just a bit confused about how that works. Id have to see some stats to make me think different. Not that i dont believe you hog. Im just stubburn.

I have shot three turkeys over 40 yards with #6 shot. One at 44 yards, one at 54 yards, both confirmed with a rangefinder. I shot one a little farther, but did not have a confirmed range. All were killed with Win. #6 Hi-Velocity 3 1/2''x 2 oz. loads. Hastings .660 choke, out of an SBE l. At least try the #6's. Pattern them and see if they will work for you. Good luck.. Mike

• 1 month later...
Hevi shot in 7s and TSS in 9s are the newest thing for reloaders. 7 in hevi and in Federal HW are deadly to 50 yards with the right choke. The more dense of the shot the more energy it carries down range.

Any idea what choke I need for these in my Super Black Eagle???