M4 - a few questions

rmlm4

just got my M4 last night...... wow.

fired around 10 birdshots just for function check, works perfectly.

a few questions though, since this is my first SG:

1. you're not supposed to keep racking the bolt and letting it slide freely (or pressing the stop when the bolt is open) without a shell inside right? i may have forgotten to softly release the bolt after racking, or guiding the bolt action after pressing the stop, in a few cases.... mainly last night when i was tinkering with it. i know the M4 is a robust piece of equipment and was designed using usmc specs hence, it shouldn't be that sensitive.... but should i be worried about destroying any part that MIGHT be sensitive?

2. i've also dry-fired it a couple of times without my dummy shell... is that a problem?

i'm kinda used to glocks, so i feel i've to be a little more cautious with the M4 at least til i get really proficient with it.

Should not have any adverse effects on the M4 or any assault weapon. Not a good ID to dry fire any weapon other than the Suomi M31. The firing pin is mechanically fastened to the Bolt Head.

I know, but i have dry fired it on a couple of occasions (about 15 times but who's counting).... so how do i know if i've damaged them in any way?

I know, but i have dry fired it on a couple of occasions (about 15 times but who's counting).... so how do i know if i've damaged them in any way?

Hi RML,

No Worries! If you check out page 51 of the USMC M1014 (M4) manual, you'll see they dry fire the weapon two times after normal re-assembly as part of the standard function check. If you don't have the USMC manual here you go:

http://www.farrarsodfarm.com/nelli/USMC_M1014.pdf

I printed the whole thing and put it in a 3-ring binder for easy reference.

Later,

Hookster :)

Hi RML,

No Worries! If you check out page 51 of the USMC M1014 (M4) manual, you'll see they dry fire the weapon two times after normal re-assembly as part of the standard function check. If you don't have the USMC manual here you go:

Later,

so unless i dry-fire it regularly for a significant number of times, i shouldn't worry?:confused:

so unless i dry-fire it regularly for a significant number of times, i shouldn't worry?:confused:

I wouldn't worry. Just enjoy your new M4! I've never heard of anyone damaging one by dry firing. If the Marines dry fire twice every time they clean and re-assemble their weapon I just don't see there being a problem.

:)

Hi RML,

Later,

Nice thankyou. one of the mods should make that a sticky.

Major thread fail.

what do you mean?

anyway, just to confirm what i've read so far, letting the bolt slam each time when i rack it without any type of shell (ammo or dummy) or dry-firing it WILL NOT HARM THE M4?

i was told to at least guide the bolt lever when i press the bolt release button (not sure if that's what you call it) so it doesn't slam.

Probably some old gun smith only familiar with antique fire arms told you that. Man slam and dance with that pretty bolt carrier. You could drop it from 1200 feet, pull the bolt back and empty the mag with out any improper functions. I am going up in a Huey Sunday. I just might try doing just, that @ 350 feet. I will try to target a swimming pool on the first drop.

what do you mean?

anyway, just to confirm what i've read so far, letting the bolt slam each time when i rack it without any type of shell (ammo or dummy) or dry-firing it WILL NOT HARM THE M4?

i was told to at least guide the bolt lever when i press the bolt release button (not sure if that's what you call it) so it doesn't slam.

It will cause more wear and tear than not doing it, but I don't think it will break it. The whole point is...why? That's like asking if kicking the tires on my car as hard as I can will hurt anything. No, not really, but wtf?