Off Benelli topic... Ammo Rusted into Magazines

M4JOHN

What the heck does one do about ammo that has rusted inside a magazine (HK/223)... the Mags are reusable, they didnt do much of the rusting, but is it safe to handle? I have never seen ammo rust like this, the brass is pretty green and crusty. I guess what I want to know is , is it safe to handle? Any recommendations on how to get the ammo out of the mags?

thanks in advance boyz!

There's actually a lot to consider, based on what is corroding and to what extent.

First of all, if you're uncomfortable with the ammo, dispose of it properly. Don't shoot anything if you aren't reasonably certain that it is safe to shoot.

If it's non-corrosive ammo and it just seems that the copper jacket on the projectile got a bit too much moisture, it may be safe too shoot. But I'm not going to tell you to shoot it ... I can't afford the liability; especially on ammo that I haven't examined with my own fingers and eyes.

If the casing/brass is actually rusted or corroded, I would not shoot it. Dispose of it. If the corrosion or rust that you are speaking of has weakened the case, firing it could result in some unwanted consequences.

Edited by LeoAtrox

I appreciate the response but the main question here is basically, is it safe to handle corroded/corroding ammo. I dont want to loose a hand or part of my face... or anything else for thatmatter... I dont intend on reusing the ammo... I will despose of it properly... I just want to save the magazines....

TIA

Unburnt powder needs an ignition source, ie primer, to get going. Older powder that has been subjected to moisture will be less likely to ignite, but it can still be set off with a spark, even a static one.

If you're unsure, take the magazine to a gunsmith for further advice before proceeding.

I, personally, would make sure that I'm well grounded and start digging away at it.

Unburnt powder needs an ignition source, ie primer, to get going. Older powder that has been subjected to moisture will be less likely to ignite, but it can still be set off with a spark, even a static one.

If you're unsure, take the magazine to a gunsmith for further advice before proceeding.

I, personally, would make sure that I'm well grounded and start digging away at it.

And I'm not even going to ask how you got to this point.

I appreciate the response but the main question here is basically, is it safe to handle corroded/corroding ammo. I dont want to loose a hand or part of my face... or anything else for thatmatter... I dont intend on reusing the ammo... I will despose of it properly... I just want to save the magazines....

TIA

I don't know exactly what the chemical composition of that is, but it is likely not any more volatile/flammable than your typical fresh smokeless powder ... Although, some smokeless powders may contain very small quanities of nitroglycerin left over from the manufacturing process. This isn't all that common; but it is a possibility. Take the necessary procautions suggested by Tucker to avoid a spark, and handle it gently. You're pobably safe not to baby it, but it wouldn't hurt.

Edited by LeoAtrox

OK, sounds good... thanks...

I am just going thru some old stuff on a freind and I did tell him that leaving a mag loaded for 15 years is a bad thing... might have to(more then likely, more to the point) replace the follower and the spring in the mag, but those are far less expensinve than replacing the mag itself... HK mags are BUCKS!!!!

thanks for the insight guys!

What the heck does one do about ammo that has rusted inside a magazine (HK/223)... the Mags are reusable, they didnt do much of the rusting, but is it safe to handle? I have never seen ammo rust like this, the brass is pretty green and crusty. I guess what I want to know is , is it safe to handle? Any recommendations on how to get the ammo out of the mags?

thanks in advance boyz!

Just remove the Floor plate and be done with it. Burn the old stuff. Save the $65. HK 33 53 93 Mag.

Zee... thats so obvious it didnt cross my mind, great advice!!!

Skeet ( Mr Sarcastic... LOL ) no, this is an older freind of mine who had them stored in boxes for like 15 years... he says he forgot about them... he lives by the beach so its fairly humid.. Even the silica gel pacs he had in the box with them didnt help...

so yea... its worth geting all the junk out of them and saving the mags... they are bucks to replace!

Edited by M4JOHN