semi auto for a youth?

Bill L

I could use a little advice. I have an 8 year old daughter and I want to get her started pretty soon with a shotgun. I just want to make sure it is a small enough gun for her to handle and one that will not have much kick. We shoot upland, ducks, and some clays.

I've been thinking a 20 gauge youth gun with shorter stock and barrel in an auto-loader would be the ticket.

Any recommendations or other suggestions?

I shoot a SBE and love it but I'm not seeing a Benelli auto-loader in a youth size.

5 Feb. 10

Bill L,

I'd recommend the Franchi 720. They have a youth version with 24" barrel and 12" LOP. It should weight a little under 6 lbs so your daughter should have less trouble holding it. The gas operation will reduce recoil and I believe it also has the TSA pad.

If you hand load, you can put together 3/4 oz loads which will kick even less. If not, the 7/8 oz target loads should be quite manageable.

Your choice of an auto is sound. Too many kids start with single barrel guns which kick more than the autos. In addition, the cross bolt safety on the auto is much more positive than having a child fool around with a hammer which might slip while being cocked or uncocked. An auto loader is a single shot if Dad maintains control of the ammunition.

As she grows, you can purchase a full length stock for the gun.

The 720 is chambered for 3" shells so it can even serve as a waterfowl gun.

Bill S. (DumbDuck)

I could use a little advice. I have an 8 year old daughter and I want to get her started pretty soon with a shotgun. I just want to make sure it is a small enough gun for her to handle and one that will not have much kick. We shoot upland, ducks, and some clays.

I've been thinking a 20 gauge youth gun with shorter stock and barrel in an auto-loader would be the ticket.

I shoot a SBE and love it but I'm not seeing a Benelli auto-loader in a youth size.

im almost 100% sure benelli has a youth/ladies montefeltro might be worth looking at its the monte or legacy one of the two

Bill - Benelli has the Montefeltro Youth. This is what my 8year-old shoots. If I remeber correctly, the Monty Youth has the shortest LoP of any AL youth gun, comes with shims to adjust fit, and accepts the full size stock when they get big. The Beretta 391 Youth's LoP is just a little longer, a little heavier, and is a gas gun, but probably the best gas shotgun out there (except for my M4:D), while I would argue the Monty is the best shotgun overall due to its simplicity.

Both guns are great (as are the Remington 1100 and 1187 youths). The 391 being gas instead of Inertia Drive, it will get a little dirtier than the Monty.

Recoil will most likely be lighter with the heavier gas guns, but can also be managed with modified loads. My son started out with 5/8oz then 3/4oz and now factory 7/8oz without complaining. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is get something that fits her and she is comfortable handling, then you can then adjust the loads to her recoil tolerance. It has been my experience with kids, light recoil in a gun that is awkward will turn them off just as much as heavy recoil.

Good luck and safe shooting!!

i really like having the options of the shims and i wish i had that option on my first gun because i couldnt put my cheek on the stock and still see over the rib so ide hold my cheek up allitle witch now i can shoot fine that way after thousands of rounds of clays,trap,skeet and ducks, so the shims are kinda important for me now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They do market the Montefeltro in a youth model called: MONTEFELTRO SHORT STOCK 20-GAUGE 2-3/4" AND 3"

1187 Sportsman Youth.

By far, the softest shooting gun of the bunch.

And it can be turned into a full size model with a stock and a longer barrel.

Or, you can probably sell it later for what you paid for it.

I find the biggest deterrant to the 1187 is its weight.

I find the biggest deterrent to the 1187 is its weight.

True, but the 20 gauge 1187's are a lot lighter than the 12's and the youth model has a 21 inch barrel, which helps.

For young kids just starting out, recoil is the biggest fun-killer. The 1187 is very soft on recoil, in part due to its gas operation, but also in part due to its weight.

Plus, when you're first teaching them to shoot, its not like they're going to be carrying the gun around for a long time. Have them put it in the gun rack when their arms get tired. Small arms can't hold those guns for long periods of time, no matter how light the gun is.

Really good article in Shotgun Sports magazine (April 2010 issue) about getting kids started.

Edited by timb99