What to do??? Darn you guys

rugby1

So, I am a life long lover of the BAR however I have had a few problems with the B#$% the last couple years and decided to get something new. These are the reasons:

1. It broke

2. It broke again

3. It broke again and none of the three gunsmiths seem to be able to iron out the problem.

4. It weighs the same as a bucket of bricks.

This being the case and me being a little (lot) angry with browning I can across the benelli R1 and almost kissed it. It points well and jumps to the sholder. It is gas operated and comes in a 20in barrel that I also love. I hunt mostly deer in the midwest with a semi-auto and 20in moves easily around the woods and the blind. I clean the crap out of my guns and like the fact that I have to dissasemble it and get to know it. So the cleaning is not an issue and I fly to hunt so I have to re-zero anyway so that is not an issue. The issue I am having is after reading this forum I am seriously considering not getting one. I do not like the winchester sxr and the browning short long trac's have a trapdoor magazine which I hate. I think the remington semiauto seems a little cheaply made to me. So what do you guys who own them think?? Are they worth it or should I get something else? Most of you do not seem very happy with them. I know there are drawbacks with any semi-auto but from what I am reading this gun seems to have some real problems, but that could just be the nature of the posts.

IMHO, a lot of the problems some operators are experiencing is largely caused from lack of cleaning. Mine has given me dependable service as long as I've done my part. Every autoloading rifle I have ever used required cleaning to control carbon fouling. The R-1 can be disassembled and cleaned with no tools and only takes me a few minutes. I have carried mine in all types of weather, from sea shore to mountain top. If you are looking for a rifle to shoot and throw in the safe and not maintain then the R-1 may be be for you. However, if fast follow up shots and a recoil soft enough to stay on target in the scope with decent accuracy is what you are in the market for, this may be the rifle for you.

Good Luck

Steve

I am not worried about the cleaning, our mutual friend, uncle sam, pounded that into me. I was more worried after reading the forums that people seemed unhappy with the accuracy of the gun. Are the newer ones better than the older ones?

Steve seems to do very well with his and I have read many of Tuckers posts and understand his opinion. I think I am going to give it a side by side with a newer BAR and see which one feels right to me. I really like the fact the the benelli can be disassembled more than the bar.

I wouldn't get to excited over the negative comments. Benelli seems to have worked most of the issues out. I have two (yes two, one for me and one for my son) in 30.06, 20" barrel wood stock. Both are MOA rifles, both have pretty good triggers (esp. my son's) and nice wood. Both return to zero after cleaning each and every time. Between the two, about 400 rounds fired, zero failures.

Sorry you've had problems w/ your Browning, that's unusual particularly the Safari models. I think you will be well pleased w/ the Benelli.

David

There is a little plastic piece that acts a a recoil buffer along the gas tube on the browning and over the years they deteriorate. Mine did and they are difficult to change with out bending the gas tubing. Anyway since it was changed the gun has never run right. Several gun smiths have made changes and none have worked so I want a wood 30-06 with a 20in barrel and thank you much for your comments. That is encouraging that there is some happy people I was disappointed when I read the forum because I like the gun. So I think I am going to start lurking on gunbroker and track one down.

Every rifle has it's own preferences but the standard Hornady 150grn SST has proven accurate, reliable and a solid performer on game (deer and pigs) w/ our R1's. This is not the most expensive or high tech design but it just flat works for us - may be a good load for you to try.

Large feral hog my son took w/ his R1 and the Hornady 150 grn SST's:

IMG_0336.jpg

My son and I w/ our R1's on a hunt this past year:

IMG_0339.jpg

David

Just re read your post, if your buying new I would make certain that you are getting a newer model ( there have been a few changes since they were introduced). I had my dealer order from Benelli - took 3 weeks 1st time, 4weeks the second - got exactly what I wanted and was worth the wait.

David

I wouldn't get to excited over the negative comments. Benelli seems to have worked most of the issues out. I have two (yes two, one for me and one for my son) in 30.06, 20" barrel wood stock. Both are MOA rifles, both have pretty good triggers (esp. my son's) and nice wood. Both return to zero after cleaning each and every time. Between the two, about 400 rounds fired, zero failures.

David

David, two questions:

- do your R1s shoot MOA with any ammo other than Hornady 150 grn SST's?

- did you try shooting at targets while feeding from the magazine? Do you still get MOA? My 30-06 R1 behaves VERY differently when fed into chamber with empty magazine vs when fed from the magazine with more rounds in the magazine.

Edited by Olga

I've never shot my rifle at the bench single loading - always use the magazine, no problems. I've only tried two types of aamunition: cheapo Winchester PP to sight in the the Hornady SST's. I've had very good performance on game w/ the SST's, when they proved accurate in my rifles I didn't try anything else. The PP's will shoot about 1.5 MOA.

David

I've never shot my rifle at the bench single loading - always use the magazine, no problems. I've only tried two types of aamunition: cheapo Winchester PP to sight in the the Hornady SST's. I've had very good performance on game w/ the SST's, when they proved accurate in my rifles I didn't try anything else. The PP's will shoot about 1.5 MOA.

David

That is encouraging to hear. I have tried several types of Winchester, several types of Federal, several types of Hornady, Remington and Fusion so far. Shooting from the magazine I cannot always keep all 4 shots on a sheet of paper! If I feed the chamber groups tighten up by about 3".

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would do a follow update. I just shot a winchester (fn) sx ar. I am really tossed now. I love the feel and ect. do not like the pistol grip. Accuracy was great will have to play with it more and wee how it is to take down. The BAR was a pain.

Thought I would do a follow update. I just shot a winchester (fn) sx ar. I am really tossed now. I love the feel and ect. do not like the pistol grip. Accuracy was great will have to play with it more and wee how it is to take down. The BAR was a pain.

Winchester sxr is the same rifle as the new Browning BAR short trac / long trac, w/ a few minor variations on features. Take down is the same.

David