Sport II Jams when loading one shell

Lazarus

Looking for feedback from other Sport II owners. I am feeding one shell in from the side (trap use) with the bolt locked back, then pressing the bolt release button. 2-3/4" shells. No problem cycling the action once the shell is chambered. 50% of the time, however, the carrier cannot rise to lift the shell into the chamber. Note: the shell is not jamming while going into the chamber. Sometimes the shell falls into just the right angle and freezes up the carrier. Jiggling the bolt handle allows normal chambering. Has anyone else experienced this symptom? I'm going to load up some shells minus primer/powder and duplicate the problem in the shop so I can see exactly where the bind is.

Thanks,

Lazarus

Discovered cause of malfunction. Carrier right front fork interferes with the bolt release lever when the latter is pushed inwards. The result is that the carrier cannot rise until the bolt handle is jiggled a little.

-Lazarus

Lazarus, that shouldn't happen. I use my M1-90 for trap and load the same way and never had that problem. I bet a lot of others use their various Benelli Models for trap and sporting as well. You must have a defect-how old is the gun and when did this start to happen-anyone else with this problem?

The gun is new. I suppose you could call it a defect, but I think of it as a tolerance problem. No time to check or fit up the guns properly at the factory. We can do that if they send them back to us! The repair is to drop the trigger group and remove the carrier from the trigger assembly. Re-contour the right front fork just at the point that it rubs against the bolt release arm. Remove all the sharp edges, etc. and range test.

-Lazarus

Lazerus, sounds like you are a gunsmith. If it's new, it shoudn't be that way and even though it's under a warranty, I think I'd contact the Dealer you purchased it from. It will be out of commission for a good length of time if you send it for repair-I think I'd want a new one if that's an option.

Geno, the fix (after I discovered the problem) took me 30 minutes. Sending the gun back into the Bermuda Triangle is something I will not do for a "minor" problem. Now, on to the next issue of the forend cap (see new post).

-Lazarus

We're slowly getting the bugs worked out. Range tested the Sport II and chambering single rounds worked fine as long as the gun was mounted normally. The second part of the problem is jamming if you chamber the round when the ejection port faces upward. This situation may occur if you cant the gun slightly while dropping the shell into the receiver, and press the bolt release in the same position. There are other sharp edges inside the receiver that will catch a round if it is chambered that way. Stay tuned...

-Lazarus

Here is a better explanation of the jam problem. If the gun is held slightly canted (ejection port up) to drop in the shell, occasionally the mouth of the shell positions itself angled downwards against the magazine follower. The rim of the shell is angled upward at about a 30 degree angle, resting on the bolt release arm. If you press the bolt release at this point, the shell cannot move upward, because its mouth is trapped by the shape of the beveling on the receiver, right where the magazine tube ends. The beveling is actually shaped to trap the round and not allow it to rise. This situation does not arise if a round is fed from the magazine tube. Magazine fed rounds shoot directly backwards and the rim is caught by a notch in the bolt release arm, keeping the shell horizontal in the receiver.

Conclusion: this is not a tolerance stack problem or parts problem. The actual design is not friendly to loading one round through the ejection port. Modified receiver is required in my opinion.

-Lazarus

As the saga continues...There are 3 obstructions that stand in the way of the shell mouth being lifted into the chamber by the carrier. The first has already been pointed out and that is the receiver chamfering just where the mag tube threads into the lower receiver. The upper receiver encircles the barrel just at this point as well, and stands in the way of the shell mouth. Finally the barrel ramp itself forms a sharp ledge over the mag tube area. All 3 items must be recontoured, not just the lower receiver. Interestingly, the owner's manual page 34 states: "Open the bolt and at the same time insert a cartridge into the BARREL through the case ejection port." I had not noticed this statement before, but they are actually instructing you to load directly into the barrel. My experience with Beretta autos led me to simply drop the shell into the ejection port, not directly into the barrel. Is everyone else loading directly into the barrel? That would certainly avoid any operating problems with the carrier, wouldn't it? Is it reasonable to expect to load into the barrel like this? Thanks!

-Lazarus

I have the Sport II and just shot 400 rounds today. Not once did I have the prob you have. I just put the shell in the ejection port and push the button. I had the shell stick I think 3 times like your talking the first time I shot the gun. Hasn't happened since after over 1000 rounds. I love this gun.

I concur with Damie-just traded my M-1-90 for a Sport II and love it. I load single shells as above, have shot 4 rounds of sporting clays [44-42-43-49] and 3 rounds of handicap trap at 21 yards [24-21-23] and have not had a jammed shell or any malfunctions. I got the 30 inch barrel as a reader suggested in a previous forum, put an orange hi-vis sight on it, and am good to go. I will use this gun for duck and pheasant hunting too! My primary target gun is a SKB 685 o/u which is also a great gun but I am very happy with the Sport II. It sounds like most of the problems being voiced are with the new SBE. Incidently, my brother bought a 12 gauge Legacy 2 years ago and loves it.