Top rail for m4

SKYKING44

Looking to add a top rail system to my new M4 to mount a T1 with Larue mount.

In reviewing previous threads I noted the reciever rail on the M4 is not really spec Picatinny and has caused some issues with mounts.

According to the Sidearmor site, their rail system is "Mil-spec" but in reality it is not. The KZ site says "Picatinny" but again our members say it is not to "Spec".

Kip at Carriercomp was working on a true spec short rail for the reciever but I have not heard any updates since November/December.

I would appreciate input from members as to my options on a rail system or should I just add the T1 to the factory rail?

I just looked at the FTT handle. It weighs 16 grams roughly. The factory handle weighs 12.5 grams.

For comparison, the GG&G handle weighs 24.5 grams and the Design Concepts handle weighs either 7.5 or 8.5 gram (I forget off the top of my head).

This is a case where lighter weight is superior. The lighter your Bolt Carrier Group is, the faster it will cycle. Stock weight should be the target goal for oversized handles. Lighter than stock is better though.

You wouldn't think a small weight difference would matter, but it was obvious when switching between the GG&G and the Design Concepts. You could feel the weapon cycling more sluggishly. We hope Kip's will be under stock weight also.

I just looked at the FTT handle. It weighs 16 grams roughly. The factory handle weighs 12.5 grams.

For comparison, the GG&G handle weighs 24.5 grams and the Design Concepts handle weighs either 7.5 or 8.5 gram (I forget off the top of my head).

This is a case where lighter weight is superior. The lighter your Bolt Carrier Group is, the faster it will cycle. Stock weight should be the target goal for oversized handles. Lighter than stock is better though.

You wouldn't think a small weight difference would matter, but it was obvious when switching between the GG&G and the Design Concepts. You could feel the weapon cycling more sluggishly. We hope Kip's will be under stock weight also.

Good Info, I originally wanted a titanium charging handle from Brownells but is was discontinued so I bought the steel DMW, nice piece but like you said a bit heavy, so I kept looking and just cam across the FFT.

What is Design concepts web site, as I remember that is the one that was discontinued from brownells for the M4.

NEWGUNNER.

Unobtainium said the owner was in Afghanistan taking pictures of fauna or something.

I'd stick with stock until Kip gets it together or if you can find someone selling their Design Concepts unit. Good luck with this though, people weren't selling for even 100 dollars. I need a second one or a similar model for my OD green M4.

I'm gonna order the FFT Ti knob - 3.4 grams difference? Pfft. A nonissue. Whoever pointed out the link to the knob, thanks.

FWIW, I've run a heavier steel charging handle for YEARS and not even a glitch. And I shoot a LOT. Thousands and thousands of rounds through my M4. So I'm not worried about it.

Edited by h.bowman