Nova -vs- Supernova

Frankie Figgs

I am going to be purchasing my first Pump Shotgun in the next two weeks, and against the advice of my entire family (870 fanatics) I am looking at a Benelli Nova or Super Nova.

I am looking for some advice from someone who has had experience with all 3 guns. What are the major differences between the 870, the Nova, and the Supernova, and is the Super Nova worth the extra cash?

Thanks! :confused:

The only reason to buy an 870 is if you plan on doing something like this to it:

ISSAC005.jpg

If not, go benelli. Unmodified 870's are boring. They work, but they do not excite the way benellis do.

For the record, when I get around to it, I will make an 870 almost just like that.

I'm going to have to disagree with Duggan on this one.

The 870 is THE pump action shotgun.

I had one for 25 years and wish I'd never sold it, even though I shoot a SBEII exclusively now.

The 870 never once failed me and was always smooth as silk.

I briefly owned two Novas.

They are good guns, but not as smooth as the 870, and not as proven over time.

As far as Nova or Supernova, I'd go with the Supernova, because I think that will eventually be the only Nova model, and you can change stocks.

[ 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Sure, I should have explained further.

The 870 is a classic design and a proven one. It works. I just don't really like the ergonomics and feel of a stock 870. I really have gotten addicted to pistol grips, and benelli makes cool pistol grip stocks.

With that said, I think the nova's pump forend feels cheap, and not nearly as solid as the 870's I have used. It kind of clicks, as opposed to the oiled hydraulic slide feeling of the 870 action.

If I could only have one shotgun, and it had to be a "cheap" pump, I would have an 870. There are a ton of replacement parts/upgrades on the market, and it is a proven design that always works. I missed that this would be the thread posters first shotgun.

If I already had experience with shotguns, and was looking for a new pump, I would want something different from every other person at the range ... I'd want a benelli.

In my mind, the 870 is the glock of the shotgun world ... it's not the most exciting or exotic, but it works consistently.

[ 08-29-2006, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Duggan ]