setting up my vinci

facepaint

Im new to the shotgun game bought a vinci and an indian creek choke. The shells i have coming are heavy 13 3" #4,#5,#6 also ordered winchester extended range turkey loads in#6.For patterning.I bought a red dot scope low powered. Has anyone tried any of these and what were your results? Im not really sure if I am not sure i even need to use the scope? So any info from you veterans would help.

I have a vinci, i use a rhino choke, but i have an indian creek in my 20 ga. m2. The indian creek patterns very well in the m2, so i am sure it will do the same in the vinci. I have not shot the Heavy Shot, but i have shot the winchester and it patterns decent. I use nitro ammo, it is amazing, though expensive. If a bird will not come in closer than 60 yards you have a good chance of reaching out and touching him, a real good chance. Although i try not to shoot anything over 45. I hear the heavy 13 patterns close to it. I dont prefer a red dot, but when i get older i am sure i will start using them. I like the burris speed dot because you can still use the sights if something happens and it will not work, such as the battery goes dead. You will enjoy your vinci very much i guarantee.

With the Vinci being pretty new, I've seen little in the way of reports on choke & load combinations.

Did you check with IC before ordering the choke to get the one they recommended? Stuart and Mike have never steered me wrong, and even let me exchange a choke for one that worked better.

I've never had a gun pattern H-13 and XR's the same, so hopefully you can get at least one of them to work well. If you can get the Magnum Blend to pattern well, and the POI is good, you should be set :)

You might be better off looking around at the NWTF forums and the Old Gobbler forums for info on the Vinci.

My first round of testing with the Magnum Blend didn't really go that well. I didn't bring the big white sheets of paper because I didn't think it would be that hard to keep the MB on my normal turkey target. I was wrong. For whatever reason, the MB hits 12"-18" lower than the H-13 #6's that I have been shooting for the past few seasons. Could be the speed of the MB, but it could be anything really. What little of the pattern I could see on the paper looks somewhat promising, but I'll have to wait until I can put it on the big white sheets. The main problem I see already is that I can't shoot two different loads that are 12"-18" apart in POI, so I will probably just scrap the MB and stick with the H-13 #6's for now.

I have a vinci, i use a rhino choke, but i have an indian creek in my 20 ga. m2. The indian creek patterns very well in the m2, so i am sure it will do the same in the vinci. I have not shot the Heavy Shot, but i have shot the winchester and it patterns decent. I use nitro ammo, it is amazing, though expensive. If a bird will not come in closer than 60 yards you have a good chance of reaching out and touching him, a real good chance. Although i try not to shoot anything over 45. I hear the heavy 13 patterns close to it. I dont prefer a red dot, but when i get older i am sure i will start using them. I like the burris speed dot because you can still use the sights if something happens and it will not work, such as the battery goes dead. You will enjoy your vinci very much i guarantee.

thanks for the input i will order that speed dot and give it a shot it seems alot more sensible i didnt know i had that option. Enjoy your hunting good luck this spring.

I got a new vinci just recently and shot a few rounds of Winchester #5 XTended range out of the factory

full choke and got excellent patterns. I immediately sent the trigger assembly to Briley to crispy up the trigger pull. so, havent shot anymore. But I intended to use Briley X-full flush choke and shoot all the standard loads Federal lead, hevi-13, heavyweight XTended Range and see what looks best.

My gun is 26" barrel and that crio choke is about 3 " long (flush choke) so, I dont think I'll even need to look at any superfull chokes.

I just used factory bead, but I will probably put a easy hit because I am used to the sight and I think it helps me keep my head down during exciting moments.

I dislike any kind of scope on my shotguns. I bought this vinci for the balance and the way it feels in my hands,. The last thing I would do is booger up the balance and its looks. kinda like putting a luggage rack on a cadillac.

I just used factory bead, but I will probably put a easy hit because I am used to the sight and I think it helps me keep my head down during exciting moments.

I dislike any kind of scope on my shotguns. I bought this vinci for the balance and the way it feels in my hands,. The last thing I would do is booger up the balance and its looks. kinda like putting a luggage rack on a cadillac.

x2 for not using a scope :)

My main reason is that second shots due to misses and/or a cripple, and doubles can happen. Trying to find the bird for a follow-up shot with even the most open attached sight is not always that easy. I remember a Kansas double that would have been impossible with any sort of scope. But it was possible with the bead :D

Thats why I really wanted to just use the factory setup I just wasnt sure about the pattern drop thats the way I am going to start out. I highly doubt with my limited shotgun experience that I could even make a follow up shot with a scope on. And it would cost a fortune to get used to. this weekend I will find out all of my shells are here. thanks for the replies

• 2 weeks later...