Any THoughts on the Hevi-13 Choke

90Goosehunter

It's getting hazed on other turkey hunting websites :(

The general issue is that not all chokes work for all guns with all shells.

What many are doing, myself included, is contacting choke manufacturers and asking them for recommendations for their particular firearm. Choke makers want you to be happy with their products, so they do have a reason to give out as good of info as possible.

The favorites for this seem to be; Trulock, Pure Gold, Indian Creek, and a few others.

I find decent info at the N W T F boards as well as Old Gobbler :)

Very few people have had access to the H-13 chokes at this time, so most forum info is going to be second hand, or speculation. The chokes Mudhen has suggested are indeed awesome, and proven. The forums are also spot on. It will take a little while for the Hevi Chokes to make it into the muzzles of actual hunters and shooters who will post up pics and share legit stories.

Very few people have had access to the H-13 chokes at this time, so most forum info is going to be second hand, or speculation. The chokes Mudhen has suggested are indeed awesome, and proven. The forums are also spot on. It will take a little while for the Hevi Chokes to make it into the muzzles of actual hunters and shooters who will post up pics and share legit stories.

So true!

I had to laugh at a post on OG about the Primos Truth 21 DVD. One guy watched it and didn't like it. Then about 20 guys in a row jumped in and bashed Primos even though they admitted to not having seen the DVD yet :rolleyes:

I too am noticing that trend in forums. The first post after the OP, sets the tone for the rest of them. If a person agrees or thinks the subject is cool, then so does most of the others. If the first response is negative, people jump on the bandwagon and take their jabs as well, with unbased input. It's like they are afraid of being "uncool" by the masses before them. I say go out, get the 1st hand experience, and come back with an honest evaluation. We need to come up with a catchy name for those "wagoneers".

Here is an example:

The posts about the new QB turkey vest in some of the forums have me rolling on the floor. I see all these kats talking about the blind part being cumbersome, getting caught on things,taking too long to deploy,etc. and they have never even been in the same zipcode of one, let alone held one or tried it on. Then I see posts from people who have gone to shows and held it, or actually bought one, and are happy with them.

I respect all people's opinions, but for Pete's sake, have a legit one! Is that too much to ask? That is a sure fire way to become a Forum Legend.

Ohh the internets!:D Gotta love it

Edited by CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

So true!

I had to laugh at a post on OG about the Primos Truth 21 DVD. One guy watched it and didn't like it. Then about 20 guys in a row jumped in and bashed Primos even though they admitted to not having seen the DVD yet :rolleyes:

Then you sometimes will notice that the same 20 guys have posts in other threads talking about how much they love their Primos calls.:confused:

I acutally got my hevi-shot choke in the mail Saturday, but have not had a chance to see what it brings to the table. I also have some of the new Hevi 13 Magnum in 3 1/2". I am shooting a SBEII. I hope to get a chance to pattern it this week, if not I am definitely going to this weekend. I will post and let everyone know what I find.

I acutally got my hevi-shot choke in the mail Saturday, but have not had a chance to see what it brings to the table. I also have some of the new Hevi 13 Magnum in 3 1/2". I am shooting a SBEII. I hope to get a chance to pattern it this week, if not I am definitely going to this weekend. I will post and let everyone know what I find.

Where did you get it from, and how much was it??

I got it and the ammo from Cabelas. I emailed hevi-shot back in January and the president emailed me back and said that they were shipping starting 1/18 and that Cabelas had a hugh order placed. The choke was $60, and they still have them for the SBEII they are not backordered.

I will be sure to let everyone know how it patterns and post some pics of the targets.

All right guys. I will have pics from patterning the choke up hopefully after lunch. I will go ahead and advise that the Hevi-13 Magnum did not pattern well at all. I shot 2 of those shells and both had less than 10 pellets in the kill zone at 35 yards. However Hevi-13 #5 tore that target up. The pics will tell the story.

Alright guys here it is. The first is a Hevi-13 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz shot #5's. The second is the new Hevi-13 Magnum 3 1/2" 2 1/4ox shot #5,6,7. This is the second of the Magnum I have patterned and both turned out this way.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=85&pictureid=322

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=85&pictureid=323

Sorry, but it would not let me post any pictures, it said that I had posted the maximum of 1 already. I believe that is because I am a junior member.

Well I had high hopes for the mag blend and those just got destroyed. Both rounds that I patterned went the same way. It would kill a turkey, however I cannot truely trust it when the #5's got into the target like they did. I am going to try some of the Winchester Supreme Xtended Range when I get a chance. It is just trial and error as with all things to see what patterns best with your gun/choke combo.

I will say this I tried some 3" shells and they patterned fairly well, but the way I look at it is that if I have a SBEII that shoots 3 1/2" shells why shoot a 3". That is unless I am in a bind and do not have a 3 1/2" shell.

Can't really tell much from the printed paper.

When starting off with a new set up, I always shoot at big white paper. Just put a dot or mark, try a few shots, and you might see where your pattern is the most dense.

Offhand, I'd say your patterns look like crap, but maybe there is a good pattern just off the paper?

I shot the MB in my SBE II with the Primos .660 Sunday and got a 182 at 40 yards. A bit low and off center, but the pattern was there. The MB really smacked the board too!

My pattern was only off 8-10" and could easily be remedied with a different bead, a Fire Sight, or Kentucky windage. 182 at 40 will get the job done for the most part :)

I too am noticing that trend in forums. The first post after the OP, sets the tone for the rest of them. If a person agrees or thinks the subject is cool, then so does most of the others. If the first response is negative, people jump on the bandwagon and take their jabs as well, with unbased input. It's like they are afraid of being "uncool" by the masses before them. I say go out, get the 1st hand experience, and come back with an honest evaluation. We need to come up with a catchy name for those "wagoneers".

Here is an example:

The posts about the new QB turkey vest in some of the forums have me rolling on the floor. I see all these kats talking about the blind part being cumbersome, getting caught on things,taking too long to deploy,etc. and they have never even been in the same zipcode of one, let alone held one or tried it on. Then I see posts from people who have gone to shows and held it, or actually bought one, and are happy with them.

I respect all people's opinions, but for Pete's sake, have a legit one! Is that too much to ask? That is a sure fire way to become a Forum Legend.

Ohh the internets!Gotta love it

im really unkool then cuz i use a custom choke i had machined out :( what will i ever do .:D it's a really good choke though .Next choke will probably be a rhino 2" .675 for my 3.5" gun .oh yeah anyone have one of these chokes ive been eye raping ^_^

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0076374227357a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&Ntk=Products&QueryText=choke&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

Kind of the way a Chips A'hoy cookie has 100 chips in every one, and the generic store brand only has 75.

The tubes being the same wasn't what I was talking about. Resemblance was the key word. There is going to be some slight differences of course. Especially to justify the massive price difference between the two.

Just to clarify