Any THoughts on the Hevi-13 Choke

90Goosehunter

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just bought an M2 American and a HeviShot 13 choke. Also bought a box of the Magnum Blend Ammo 3".

Shot it last night and pattern was 3-4 inches left at 30 yards...

Thought it might be shells, so I tried some Winchester Supreme 5s. Still left...

Tried some number 8s at 12 yards...Still left.

Got mad and went home...

Today, after thinking on it some, want to try another choke and will borrow a buddy's JH and give that a shot.

If it's still left, I'm not sure what I will do...If it straightens it out, I may be cutting somebody a heck of a good deal on a choke...

Will try and post pics tomorrow of the targets.

If anybody has any advice on the left issues, please let me know...

Adjustable sights would be the easiest way to go if the other choke doesn't help. A simple set of fiber optics from TruGLO, William's, or Limbsaver would get the gun pointed in the right direction. A red dot would also do the trick.

Extreme:

You can send your gun off to Rhino Chokes in Williston Fl. and they can beat it into submission. The second extreme option is to try an Eccentric choke job by Briley..

http://www.briley.com/2009/eccentricchokes.gif

I would go with the fiber optics myself.

Edited by CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

Shoot the gun in a vice, lead sled, sand bag, etc. It could be that you are pulling the gun when shooting. However, shooting all those times it is very unlikely that you are. I know that I had patterend the magnum blend in my SBEII twice and pulled it right both times. The last time I patterend it with sand bags and it pulverized the paper. I took mudhen's advice and set up at 40 yards with a 10" circle and a 30" circle outside of that. I had 577 in a 30" circle at 40 yards. The gun did shoot high, but I am going to get some fiber optic sights to put on that will lower it some.

One question is your choke ported like the picture I posted, with the port holes?

Not sure about the porting, and will look after work. I'm heading back out this evening to try a different choke, and will post results later tonight.

I'm not sure how I feel about a rear sight. For turkey hunting its fine, but most of the time it will be waterfowl/upland use.

I had 577 in a 30" circle at 40 yards. The gun did shoot high, but I am going to get some fiber optic sights to put on that will lower it some.

WHA??? is there 577 pellets in a shotshell!!! JEEZZZ waiit...did it contain 7 shot?? 577!!! DAMN! i usually get about 80-90 in a 12 inch circle.. and ive never saw how many i get in a 30 inch circle...

but i never imagined 577!! ****!

WHA??? is there 577 pellets in a shotshell!!! JEEZZZ waiit...did it contain 7 shot?? 577!!! DAMN! i usually get about 80-90 in a 12 inch circle.. and ive never saw how many i get in a 30 inch circle...

Just put 440 in the 12" at 30 yards, and 270-336 in the 10" at 40 yards. I think a 400 in the 10" at 40 yards is possible, but not without a little more work on the barrel.

ic001.jpg

Yes, #7's for me for sure!

Actually, this pattern scares me a bit, it's 90% at 20 yards, maybe too tight :confused:

That's why I practice at close ranges just before the season starts. Almost had a tom make a fool out of me last year at nine yards, almost.....

Update: ports are drilled straight on, not like the promo photo.

As far as patterns...hevi13 with magnum blend is great, just 4 inches left out of my gun. Tried some low brass 6s out of the stock full choke at 19 yards and they were an inch left(center of pattern). It is unbeliveable how frustrating it is to have a new gun that shoots left...

Any hints, tips, advice, or anything that will keep me sane would be appreciated...

That is the Hevi-13 Magnum blend. It is 5,6,7 2 1/4oz. shot. The website states 525 pellets in a shell, but I counted twice and got 577.

DONT YOU EVER SAY THAT! NO SUCH THING AS TOO TIGHT!..

well not for me. i have a scope..

Look i know the fun of turkey hunting is gettin them close, but does 7's really have the knockdown energy past 40 yards to kill a turkey? Especially a tough eastern like i have!

H-13 #7's are fine. Folks have been blasting birds for weeks in Florida and other southern states with them. Penetration tests show they will outperform larger pellets made of lesser materials. Non-issue for the most part unless you really must take longer shots on a regular basis. That being said, I will probably still shoot H-13 #6's in places like Nebraska, where a long field shot is always possible....

Mudhen what gun and choke did you use with the H-13. And have you found any better combo for the sbe II than the jellyhead and xr wins

I'm using the BPS 12 with the IC .665 + H-13 #7's 2.25 oz.

I did try to tune my SBE II with the #7's, but was not able to come up with anything that printed very close to the BPS.

But, some guys over at Old Gobbler are dialing in the SBE II and H-13 #7's. Just go check out the shooting section and search by SBE. I recall hearing that Pure Gold chokes are working well.

Good luck!

Mudhen what gun and choke did you use with the H-13. And have you found any better combo for the sbe II than the jellyhead and xr wins

Well I have one of the Hevi-13 chokes for my SBEII and am shooting the 3 1/2 Hevi-13 Magnum blend. Patterened out at 40 yards with 577 pellets in a 30 inch circle. The 10 inch had 121. This morning I rolled up 3 long beards one at 30 yards, one at 35 yards and one at 40 yards with one shot. Now that is my gun, every gun is different good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if anyone has tested the Hevi-13 choke? Im thinking of trying it out in my SBEII!

I did buy 1 and try for a M2, was using H13 5 shot 2oz and some MB. I didn,t think it did very well or should I say i wasn't happy enough with it to use in the field, I'll stick with the IC.