vests, calls, what do you prefer?

facepaint

I don't use a vest. I use an improved fanny pack/call holder. It is less bulky and I take it off when I set up so all the stuff is accessible. I carry 2 Cody slates and a Glass friction calls. I like the Primos Tru Triple and the WoodHaven CopperHead and/or the Red Wasp in mouth calls. I also carry a Primos Box Cutter box call, for windy conditions. If it is wet, I do take a foam seat with me. Good luck with the practice on the calls. It is not rocket science. It can be mastered. Watch some turkey hunts and get the cadence down pat. It is a very important part of the equation. There is nothing like the feeling you get from calling in and killing your first turkey. Hope this helps some. Good luck... Mike

I use a BDU Jacket and cut off the sleeves for my vest. Its good old woodland camo that is fade resistant and very durable as it is made to mil-spec. It has two bellow pockets at the waist and two breast pockets. I can stick my slate call in one of the pockets, and my gloves and shells in the other.

My striker goes in the pencil pocket thats on the breast pocket and a mouth call in the other breast pocket. After hunting, I just take off my vest and everything is in its place the next morning.

It cost about $25 .

I never used a seat cushion so I dont really care about that.

Edited by HH

I won't say what my favorite brand of calls is, but my favorite type of call is a Glass Pot style friction call. When I carry a couple of different strikers with me, I can get any sound that I need, and the tones I want.

As far as the vest goes, this year I will be using the New Vest-a-Blind from Quaker Boy. It is a bit unconventional as far as vests go, but I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces. Even if I end up taking the blind part off, the vest itself is top notch.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0077537933089a&navCount=1&podId=0077537&parentId=cat470128&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat470076-cat470128&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat470128&hasJS=true

Just depends where I am and how much stuff I need to carry :)

I've got just about every vest ever made for the most part. They all work ok, but the favorite is the Mossy Oak Trek-Lite vest. Used one for 10 years, still have it, then bought two more from Wing Supply for $8 each on closeout.

I usually just carry a seat cushion. Current favorite it the one from Tarantula, light, easy to clip on the vest, takes the sting out of the 17 hours days in Nebraska a bit!

All those vests from Cabela's are fine, but I'm not really a big fan of all those straps. In the long run, a simple vest like the ones from MO are probably better....

I carry a seat when needed also. Here in Wi., you only have a 5 day season, so it is rain or shine or snow for that matter. Last year we had 10'' on opening day of Mi. I don't mind carrying a piece of foam to keep my behind dry, when you know you may be out there all day. A dry butt works for me..

I've hunted all my life but just got into Turkey hunting a few years ago. I have an older Primos vest. I was told "this is the one to get" by a hunting buddy and I got it. I like it but would probably like anybody else's also. I think a good vest offers some advantages - a padded back strip to help when sitting against that tree and also a nice drop down seat. My vest has a large back pocket for carrying a decoy or a dead turkey (I'm not putting a bleeding bird back there) and more pockets than I can use.

As far as calls - I think it is hard to beat a good box call for beginners or for experts. A few old timers told me to try a Lynch box call when I first got started and when I called in and killed my first bird it was a great feeling. That was a $20-$30 call. I have since purchased an $80 pot call, (2) other pot calls, $50 in mouth calls, and been fortunate enough to have had a couple of custom made personalized calls given to me. My success hasn't improved :D but I sure feel better equiped. I think spending time around the birds and listening is priceless for calling. I was much more lucky than skilled the few times I've called a gobbler in to shooting range. It is great fun and I'm counting the days until our youth hunt on 3/27 for my oldest son. Good Luck.

Chris

I've hunted all my life but just got into Turkey hunting a few years ago. I have an older Primos vest. I was told "this is the one to get" by a hunting buddy and I got it. I like it but would probably like anybody else's also. I think a good vest offers some advantages - a padded back strip to help when sitting against that tree and also a nice drop down seat. My vest has a large back pocket for carrying a decoy or a dead turkey (I'm not putting a bleeding bird back there) and more pockets than I can use.

As far as calls - I think it is hard to beat a good box call for beginners or for experts. A few old timers told me to try a Lynch box call when I first got started and when I called in and killed my first bird it was a great feeling. That was a $20-$30 call. I have since purchased an $80 pot call, (2) other pot calls, $50 in mouth calls, and been fortunate enough to have had a couple of custom made personalized calls given to me. My success hasn't improved :D but I sure feel better equiped. I think spending time around the birds and listening is priceless for calling. I was much more lucky than skilled the few times I've called a gobbler in to shooting range. It is great fun and I'm counting the days until our youth hunt on 3/27 for my oldest son. Good Luck.

Chris

The Primos vest, especially the older ones are really good vests. Up until recently, I have used one of these myself. The only mods I made were to remove the Primos logos:D

I use an ol'tom vestless shirt. Can carry 2 slates and 6 mouth calls in it and 2 locator calls. I love it. Can carry stuff like a vest but lightweight. If you get the pants you can carry a box and more slate calls and mouth calls. You should check them out. I use a craig schultz owl call that looks like a 10 gauge shell. Cane creek mouth calls and a few different boxes and pots. Just picked up a custom copper pot call at the National Convention last weekend. Like it so far. But doesnt really matter till i get in the woods and see how it works there.