Benelli semi-auto question

mightye152

Hi there, I'm in the market for a new shotgun and I have been doing a lot of homework and I am certain that I will be purchasing a Benelli, but I'm not sure which model to purchase. My last semi-auto shotgun I owned was by a different/cheaper company and I had issues with the shotgun. It would only cycle and eject 3 inch shells and wouldn't eject 2 3/4 shells even though the company swore up and down it would. I'm a little hesitant to puchase another semi-auto, but I only hear good things about Benelli. I'm also looking at the super nova because I wouldn't have to worry about the size of the shell. All in all, I'd really like to buy a Benelli semi-auto, but I want to know for certain that it will cycle lighter loads without malfuntion.

Hi there, I'm in the market for a new shotgun and I have been doing a lot of homework and I am certain that I will be purchasing a Benelli, but I'm not sure which model to purchase. My last semi-auto shotgun I owned was by a different/cheaper company and I had issues with the shotgun. It would only cycle and eject 3 inch shells and wouldn't eject 2 3/4 shells even though the company swore up and down it would. I'm a little hesitant to purchase another semi-auto, but I only hear good things about Benelli. I'm also looking at the super nova because I wouldn't have to worry about the size of the shell. All in all, I'd really like to buy a Benelli semi-auto, but I want to know for certain that it will cycle lighter loads without malfuntion.

The minimum shell recommended for the Benelli semi- automatic shotguns is 3 drams eq. and 1 1/8oz. loads. There is a recommended break-in period of a few boxes of heavy loads, to loosen up all the tight machining and knock off all the rough edges. If you keep the gun clean and oiled, and break it in, you will have no problems with it cycling. I have shot a bunch of 1 oz. loads through the Benelli's that I own, with minimal problems. Your only problem will be which Benelli you choose to own! You will undoubtedly end up with more than one. Enjoy the process, and welcome to the world of Benelli...Mike

Thanks Mike, do you recommend a specific brand of shells to use for the break in period? And what do you mean by 3 drams eq.?

Any brand will do. The stronger the better. The 3 drams eq. is a rating given to the shell. It normally is listed on the box, next to the amount of, and size of the shot. It is an old way of measuring the oomph of the shell, relating to drams of black powder used to make the shell. Not sure if that is exactly right, but it is close enough. The more you break-in the gun, the better off you will be. The more you shoot it the ''looser'' it will get. I have had some that shot 1 oz. shells out of the box. Some take a little longer. If you stay at the 3 drams. and 1 1/8 oz, you will have no problems. Benellis rock... Good luck, Mike

As an owner and shooter of two Benelli Super Sports, both 12 and 20 gauge, I can tell you that right out of the box they would digest anything I fed them with nary a hitch. The shells I bought and shot were always the cheapest stuff I could find. Being a skeet shooter, and probably a poor one at that, I had no need or desire for the expensive spread! My Remington's on the other hand needed several box's of the heavy loads run through them before they would cycle the Wally World cheap stuff. I could go on for several more paragraphs on what a delight these Benelli's are to shoot, but then that wasn't your question was it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I'm in the market for a new shotgun and I have been doing a lot of homework and I am certain that I will be purchasing a Benelli, but I'm not sure which model to purchase. My last semi-auto shotgun I owned was by a different/cheaper company and I had issues with the shotgun. It would only cycle and eject 3 inch shells and wouldn't eject 2 3/4 shells even though the company swore up and down it would. I'm a little hesitant to puchase another semi-auto, but I only hear good things about Benelli. I'm also looking at the super nova because I wouldn't have to worry about the size of the shell. All in all, I'd really like to buy a Benelli semi-auto, but I want to know for certain that it will cycle lighter loads without malfuntion.

My new Benelli Vinci digested 1oz max dram loads right out of the box. It is also a smoother shooter than my SBE, but the inertia recoil is straight back rather than pushed down into the stock.

My new Benelli Vinci digested 1oz max dram loads right out of the box. It is also a smoother shooter than my SBE, but the inertia recoil is straight back rather than pushed down into the stock.

Good to hear you like your Vinci. I've read that they recommend shooting 1 1/8 but I've done just fine shooting lighter loads than that. Mightye152, you shouldnt worry at all. Benelli's are great guns and will cycle the loads you choose.

Get the Cordoba. It will handle all 2.75s without any problems. Mine was the only one of 4 different makes that would recycle low-brass at a recent trap event. 3" is plenty for wingshooting. I have killed dozens of Canada geese, as a kid, with a 20 gauge double Stevens 311 and 3" ammo. Don't shoot until they are in range...